Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Beware: International Day Pass comes with 30+% Tax

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Beware: International Day Pass comes with 30+% Tax

Got my new bill. It has the $60 in day passes from when I was in the Bahamas. That's fine. But my bill is still $20 MORE than it should be.

I then check in the app....which shows what is different from last bill to this one. $20 extra in taxes.

I call CS and all they can say is it is the U. S. Government imposing extra tax on international use. I said, 31% tax on $60 bucks??? He said it's tax on the usage while out of country, not the pass itself. So I asked if the tax would be less if I used only say, 300Mb instead of the 2.5 GB I used. I'm still not sure.

It doesn't seem right. So is this BTC Bahamas turning my usage in to at&t to be paid and BTC taxing the crap out of it....therefore it rolls downhill to me?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samung S9 Plus Factory unlocked OnePlus 6T Galaxy tab A GSM
    Carrier(s)
    TMOBILE USA ,ORANGE SPAIN
    Feedback Score
    That is interesting i just came back from the Dominican Republic and used the day pass for five days. Billing cycle just closed yesterday and i am waiting on bill. To better compare can you possibly go to your on line account via your PC and post the detail brake down of the taxes and surge charges imposed, i will do the same to see if the extra taxes and surge charges are country specific.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You mean this?

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Edit: Doing a second read, I think I need to see the full bill. What stands out to me is the Federal USC/USF fee which may be too high.

Certainly warrants a further look, I'm now interested - which is bad, because I need to be doing something else right now.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    Samung S9 Plus Factory unlocked OnePlus 6T Galaxy tab A GSM
    Carrier(s)
    TMOBILE USA ,ORANGE SPAIN
    Feedback Score
    yes give me a couple of days and as soon as AT&T post my bill i shall post again to compare the math

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would really check into the taxes. Att has been having some real issues with calculating proper tax amounts. Don't know if that relates to your situation but worth a closer look.
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Reminds me of this commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNCG9fHGXB0
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Reminds me of this commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNCG9fHGXB0
    LoL! Love it!

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Did you happen to switch to the new Unlimited Plus plan and have a bill cycle end date before March 17th? If so, there's a known tax issue that's supposed to be corrected on a future bill. That could possibly have added insult to injury on your bill there.

As far as if it's not that, taxes and fees are weird things. I mean the FUSC is a fee that goes to AT&T. But the State/Muni one should be going to your government. Some states do weird things with different calls. When I worked there, I had a customer call in because two lines of identical charges had different tax amounts. The only difference/reason was that one kid was away at college and calling a lot of out of area numbers (numbers local to the college, etc.) and after some digging and escalation we found out that his state charged some different amount based on the percentage of intra/inter-state calls.

For example, I used the day pass earlier this year and my taxes weren't different at all. I see you have an IL tax on your bill. I've seen them do weird things before.

A CSR should also be able to see how much of each tax/fee is based off of which charge. But ymmv on getting a rep to understand what you're asking for.

Either way, that sucks. I'm hoping it's the Unlimited Plus thing and you're going to get some credit back for it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Nope. Didn't switch plans. Still on retentions 20GB for $100. In comparison, here is last month's bill/taxes.....Wow.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, it sounds like what I wrote in my original post before I got self doubt about it.

It sounds like the USF/USC is being charged for each international pack.

One of two things is happening, either:

1) This is a bug.
    2) The FCC went completely mad and started treating international packages as entirely separate plans.

My bet is #1 strongly.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Man, I was hoping you were affected by the bug so you'd at least have some possible relief.

There are billing issues all the time, so it's possible there really was a billing issue and the rep just didn't look at the BiLog.

Unfortunately it's one of those things that's hard to figure out and every state is different. As for the USFC, who knows. The amount can change every quarter, but I don't know if it's changed recently. The current highest assessed rate in IL is 16.7% (pretty sure that's the current highest in every state), looks like you're at about 14.65%.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    The tax for my international pass on Verizon in January wasn't any higher percentage wise than expected when I went to Australia. So I would suspect an ATT issue.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Different state of course but I wasn't charged crazy taxes on my last passport plan.
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Beware: International Day Pass comes with 30+% Tax

Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    Different state of course but I wasn't charged crazy taxes on my last passport plan.
    Were there any additional fees incurred over the $10/day cost for the International Day Pass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast