Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Beware: International Day Pass comes with 30+% Tax

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    Still don’t think whatever they’re doing is being calculated correctly for the day pass. It just doesn’t match up with passport (which is still international roaming).
    Oh of course. I have Unlimited International for my primary line, my surcharges are the same regardless whether or not I roam internationally that month, and they’re much less than lines on my account that have used the IDP. My brother has a line on Unlimited Plus and used 6 Day Passes and the surcharges were nuts. I ended up splitting his line off of the group and onto Unlimited International and the surcharges were much less. Who knows.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baaadandy View Post
    Oh of course. I have Unlimited International for my primary line, my surcharges are the same regardless whether or not I roam internationally that month, and they’re much less than lines on my account that have used the IDP. My brother has a line on Unlimited Plus and used 6 Day Passes and the surcharges were nuts. I ended up splitting his line off of the group and onto Unlimited International and the surcharges were much less. Who knows.
    What was the cost breakdown of 6 days using the IDP?

$10/day * 6 = $60
    What else?
    Total extra = ?

Feedback Score
    I had an opportunity to directly compare the monthly International Passport and International Day Pass plans this summer. My spouse and I have a family plan with identical lines. Normally, the surcharges/taxes/fees on each of our lines are identical. This summer we went to Europe for a week. During our trip, we had International Day Pass on line #1, which was used for two days ($20 base price). The total taxes/surcharges/fees on line #1 went up $7.54 compared to a normal month. We had an International Passport 1GB plan on line #2 ($60 base price). The total taxes/surcharges/fees on line #2 went up $3.77 compared to a normal month, or half as much as the line with the Day Pass. Neither of us had any kind of overage charges.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 2.12.11 PM.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  24.7 KB

I made multiple phone calls to AT&T billing. Multiple billing people were perplexed and unable to explain why the taxes/surcharges/fees are so much higher on a Day Pass compared to a Passport plan. They submitted my bill to be officially reviewed. Weeks later, I got an email telling me "we are unable to find any evidence of a billing error." The closest I came to an explanation was one billing representative who told me that the $60 Passport plan is broken down into a Passport Talk/Text component for $10 and a Passport 1GB Data component for $50, which you can see on my bill (below). I was told that AT&T does not assess taxes/surcharges/fees on the Data component of the Passport plan (or to look at it another way, those taxes/surcharges/fees are included in the $50 price of the Passport Data component). The billing rep told me that for my home location and international destination, the rate of taxes/surcharges/fees is $3.77 per ten dollars. So that’s $3.77 for each day of the Day Pass, and $3.77 just once per month on the ten-dollar Talk/Text component of the Passport plan.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 3.17.06 PM.png
Views: 189
Size:  25.7 KB

Essentially, the reason the taxes/surcharges/fees on the Day Pass plan seem so much higher than the Passport plan is because they ARE so much higher. The rate is about 38% on the Day Pass plan and about 6% on the Passport plan for my location. Of course they don’t tell you this when you place your order. A reasonable person might assume that the rate of taxes/surcharges/fees would be similar across the international plans, but that would be incorrect.

What I learned from this experience is that if you’ll need international service for more than 4 days, you’re very likely better off with a monthly Passport plan. For fewer days and light usage, you’re likely better off with international pay-per-use. (This may vary depending on the rate of international taxes/fees/surcharges in your location, your typical usage pattern, and domestic plan.) I will definitely not be using the International Day Pass again.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    That answer makes no sense though. They can only "tax" if there is a bona-fide government tax. There is no 38% tax anywhere in the country.

$3.77 on $60 seems in the ballpark though I don't know your area's tax rates.

I had thought AT&T had fixed this, and I'm still witholding a re-think unless I hear someone else with just the Day Pass getting huge taxes again.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Williams124 View Post
    I had an opportunity to directly compare the monthly International Passport and International Day Pass plans this summer. My spouse and I have a family plan with identical lines. Normally, the surcharges/taxes/fees on each of our lines are identical. This summer we went to Europe for a week. During our trip, we had International Day Pass on line #1, which was used for two days ($20 base price). The total taxes/surcharges/fees on line #1 went up $7.54 compared to a normal month. We had an International Passport 1GB plan on line #2 ($60 base price). The total taxes/surcharges/fees on line #2 went up $3.77 compared to a normal month, or half as much as the line with the Day Pass. Neither of us had any kind of overage charges.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 2.12.11 PM.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  24.7 KB

I made multiple phone calls to AT&T billing. Multiple billing people were perplexed and unable to explain why the taxes/surcharges/fees are so much higher on a Day Pass compared to a Passport plan. They submitted my bill to be officially reviewed. Weeks later, I got an email telling me "we are unable to find any evidence of a billing error." The closest I came to an explanation was one billing representative who told me that the $60 Passport plan is broken down into a Passport Talk/Text component for $10 and a Passport 1GB Data component for $50, which you can see on my bill (below). I was told that AT&T does not assess taxes/surcharges/fees on the Data component of the Passport plan (or to look at it another way, those taxes/surcharges/fees are included in the $50 price of the Passport Data component). The billing rep told me that for my home location and international destination, the rate of taxes/surcharges/fees is $3.77 per ten dollars. So that’s $3.77 for each day of the Day Pass, and $3.77 just once per month on the ten-dollar Talk/Text component of the Passport plan.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 3.17.06 PM.png
Views: 189
Size:  25.7 KB

Essentially, the reason the taxes/surcharges/fees on the Day Pass plan seem so much higher than the Passport plan is because they ARE so much higher. The rate is about 38% on the Day Pass plan and about 6% on the Passport plan for my location. Of course they don’t tell you this when you place your order. A reasonable person might assume that the rate of taxes/surcharges/fees would be similar across the international plans, but that would be incorrect.

What I learned from this experience is that if you’ll need international service for more than 4 days, you’re very likely better off with a monthly Passport plan. For fewer days and light usage, you’re likely better off with international pay-per-use. (This may vary depending on the rate of international taxes/fees/surcharges in your location, your typical usage pattern, and domestic plan.) I will definitely not be using the International Day Pass again.
    Thanks for the in depth look. I still think at&t is blowing smoke up us, but I do appreciated you taking your time with this. I'm going to Rome next month for 5 days, I think I'm going to try to get a passport at a reduced rate like I did in 2016. 38% tax isn't really a rate in the USA that I can think of, unless are they bundling in some international tax they were charged by Orange (France), EE (UK), etc? So essentially at&t is saying the taxes are higher because the day pass includes calls and the passports do not. I agree that 4 days is a good cut off. However, if I can get the $60 plan for $30 again (like I did in 2016), I will take them up on that offer.

Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    That answer makes no sense though. They can only "tax" if there is a bona-fide government tax. There is no 38% tax anywhere in the country.

$3.77 on $60 seems in the ballpark though I don't know your area's tax rates.

I had thought AT&T had fixed this, and I'm still witholding a re-think unless I hear someone else with just the Day Pass getting huge taxes again.
    Agreed, it still doesn't make sense. No offense to Williams124, I think at&t is just telling us whatever they want. I just think of the day pass as $13.50 a day now. At least it's unlimited versus Verizon's hard caps, so you bet I was speed testing!
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    Thanks for the in depth look. I still think at&t is blowing smoke up us, but I do appreciated you taking your time with this. I'm going to Rome next month for 5 days, I think I'm going to try to get a passport at a reduced rate like I did in 2016. 38% tax isn't really a rate in the USA that I can think of, unless are they bundling in some international tax they were charged by Orange (France), EE (UK), etc? So essentially at&t is saying the taxes are higher because the day pass includes calls and the passports do not. I agree that 4 days is a good cut off. However, if I can get the $60 plan for $30 again (like I did in 2016), I will take them up on that offer.

Agreed, it still doesn't make sense. No offense to Williams124, I think at&t is just telling us whatever they want. I just think of the day pass as $13.50 a day now. At least it's unlimited versus Verizon's hard caps, so you bet I was speed testing!
    I would like to point out that when roaming internationally, the foreign government can and will likely impose local taxes. The cellular carrier will pass those on to the consumer

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    I would like to point out that when roaming internationally, the foreign government can and will likely impose local taxes. The cellular carrier will pass those on to the consumer

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app
    Which I agree, however, that isn't what they are doing. Or not being transparent anyways. It seems they are applying high US Federal rates on the voice portions of the plans.
    -----
    Anyways, we won't ever get the full scoop on the tax BS.

I spoke with AT&T. There are NO other options besides the 2 passport plans and the day pass. No retention offers exist anymore. They won't even come close to Sprint or T-Mobile's pricing of high speed data.

Feedback Score
    AT&T for international roaming on 4G LTE has a huge list of roaming agreements, more than Tmobile, Verizon, and Sprint and all the other natively owned US Carriers. However, it also does come with a higher cost. I am not sure how much AT&T pays international carriers for roaming and how much is profit for AT&T. Nor am i sure about international taxation issues. With AT&T you get excellent roaming for international but are going through a middleman, who won’t get the best rates for the consumer for a variety of reasons.

I do know the international roaming with the Apple SIM has one firm for Global roaming that has good pricing id you don’t want to fool around with multiple international sims.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6