Thread: Activating old phone (Motorola F3)

Feedback Score

Activating old phone (Motorola F3)

Hi,

I am helping my parents switch to a T-Mobile Prepaid plan. They want a cell phone only in case of an emergency. I have an old Motorola F3 basic phone that will work for them as it has clear, loud sound (their basic requirement). However, on the TMobile site, it's not listed as a supported model.

My question is: can I still order the SIM starter kit and see if it will work or is it not even worth trying because it's not listed as a supported phone on the TMobile site?

Also, does anyone have recommendations for a simple phone (non-smartphone with buttons) with clear, loud sound (especially, speakerphone)?

Thank you!

Device(s)
    Motorola G6
    Carrier(s)
    Page Pluss
    Feedback Score
    >Activating old phone (Motorola F3)

Okeh...

> I am helping my parents switch to a T-Mobile Prepaid plan.

I favor the $3 per month plan ...

>I have a Motorola F3 ...for them (but) T-Mobile site (does not say it's)supported.
    I'm not sure what "supported" means - I suggest you borrow an active t-Mobile SIM and see. I find the folks at the T-Mobile store are happy to help in this situation. (They also gave me a free SIM when I bought airtime from them.)

> ...any ...recommendations ?

I like the Nokia 6030 and X2 ..and the Samsung A177...... but lotsa AT&T 2G phones are sitting in drawers now ... and unlocking them is only 99-cents or a dollar. You might wamt to spend a few cents and get something with 3G to future-proof your choice. ...

Regards, FJ

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I bought the ZTE 223 (3G) for my elderly mom last year to replace her 2G .It's a GoPhone but you should be able to unlock for free on AT&T's site. Do it as non-customer. You'll need a non-AT&T SIM (standard size , for this phone).

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    I bought the ZTE 223 (3G) for my elderly mom last year to replace her 2G .It's a GoPhone but you should be able to unlock for free on AT&T's site. Do it as non-customer. You'll need a non-AT&T SIM (standard size , for this phone).

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/
    I just spoke with an AT&T rep... I was told that I have to have service for 6 months on the phone that will be unlocked, before I can request an unlock code.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NexusWarrior View Post
    I just spoke with an AT&T rep... I was told that I have to have service for 6 months on the phone that will be unlocked, before I can request an unlock code.
    That's probably if you are an AT&T customer
    GoPhones can be unlocked as a non-customer. Basic procedure after you buy it is:
    1) do not power on with AT&T sim inserted; this is important
    2) request unlock code as non-customer; reply to request confirmation, then wait, takes 3-10 days, recently it's been at the longer end of the spectrum; you might have to request several times if you get denied but wait until you get denied before resubmitting request
    3) wait for unlock code;
    4) insert non-AT&T sim; power on and you will be prompted for the unlock code
    5) enter the unlock code

Read the wiki page here, for example:
    (The using AT&T sim method never seems to work)
    https://slickdeals.net/f/9416663-wal...src=SiteSearch

I forgot to try unlocking the ZTE 223 when I bought it but it should work on flip phones too. Remember, you will need a standard size non-AT&T sim which might be the hardest part. Or get an adapter ($5) if you have a nano/micro sim. Or buy a cheap 3-in-1 sim kit.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article...less/KM1008728
    Last edited by AnciusD; 04-02-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Carrier(s)
    RP (personal); ATT (work); MintMobile (family members)
    Feedback Score
    If you're an ATT customer, buy the phone, call them back and tell them as a customer you are going on a cruise to someplace without ATT service and would like to be able to swap in a local sim. I have never been refused when it was for my use on an ATT account (once it's unlocked who's going to check - and heck you told them it was for use outside the US).
    ---
    I haven't post-paid since 2003...