Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: And Suddenly… Reasonably-Priced Data in Canada?!!

Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile, Koodo, WIND Mobile, Fido
    Feedback Score

Post And Suddenly… Reasonably-Priced Data in Canada?!!

Name:  oligopolist-iphonex.png
Views: 325
Size:  132.8 KB

Something rather unusual is going on with Canada's Big Three carriers: in select markets they're starting to offer big monthly data buckets at reasonable prices.

iPhone in Canada ran three separate stories on this yesterday. First was the news of a Fido and Rogers promo for Alberta and BC, offering 5GB and Canada-wide calling for $60/month, with an extra 5GB for 24 months. Later in the day there was another scoop about a targeted offer for Rogers and Chatr prepaid customers, 4GB of data for $40/month or 6GB for $60 if they switched to Rogers BYOD postpaid. Finally, there was a report that Bell would be offering a 10GB $60/month plan of its own.

And where is TELUS in all of this? Apparently its flanker brand Koodo will be announcing something similar today. That's especially good news for Big Three subscribers in Ontario, as Koodo's out-of-province plans have historically been fairly easy to get.

The reason for this sudden surge in affordable data plans has got to be the one-two punch of Freedom Mobile's cheap 4G offerings and the fact that they're now an official vendor/subsidizer of Apple's iPhone. Even if you think their network sucks—and my experience with a Band 66-compatible phone in downtown Toronto would suggest that it doesn't—you potentially stand to gain from their affordable data, improved network and available handsets.

If only The Big Three were competitive across the entire country, then we'd really have something to celebrate...

Source: iPhone in Canada (1) (2) (3)
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    Even if you think their network sucks—and my experience with a Band 66-compatible phone in downtown Toronto would suggest that it doesn't—you potentially stand to gain from their affordable data, improved network and available handsets.
    You lost alot of cred with this comment
    The B66 network is better than the older non-LTE but dead zones and issues still abound across the GTA
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $9 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $20 per Month
    Telus SK North American Wide 7GB = $65
    Chatr (Mobi) $40 North America Wide + 6GB + 30 Mins Roaming
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    And yet, Atlantic Canada gets shafted yet again...

Device(s)
    Zed 30, Z10, 9900, 9780, 8530, W995a, u8a, w508, w980, w380a and a few Z710s
    Carrier(s)
    au revoir Robbers... bonjour Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    it seems to me, the big three are looking to bury wind/freedom 12 feet deep in a concrete coffin ... and i think it'll work, iphone or not.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Wait, what? We're celebrating 2 days of mad calls to get those plans...what about the rest of the year?
    We're still screwed, royaly I might add.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    You lost alot of cred with this comment
    The B66 network is better than the older non-LTE but dead zones and issues still abound across the GTA
    What? LOL! Says a person who's against Net Neutrality. You never had any cred to begin with.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipse View Post
    Wait, what? We're celebrating 2 days of mad calls to get those plans...what about the rest of the year?
    We're still screwed, royaly I might add.
    These plans are proof that Shaw is disrupting the market, and the big 3 are noticing.

They've matched the most basic plan Shaw has at this point, with overage fees still of course.

If this doesn't work, we will see plans available under a price point that anyone can justify in a business case study. The big 3 will start starving Shaw out of business.

It'll be 2years before real competition kicks in, as all those contracts signed today for a new iPhone on the big3 will expire then...

Sent from my LG-H933 using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Don't worry, your rates will double or triple in a couple of years. Enjoy the ride while you still can.
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Conviviality View Post
    it seems to me, the big three are looking to bury wind/freedom 12 feet deep in a concrete coffin ... and i think it'll work, iphone or not.
    Yup. These are attack plans aimed straight at Shaw. They managed to steal the shine from Freedoms big coming out party with iPhone support and great plans and LTE.
    Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    Unlimited Provincial Calling, Unlimited Global SMS/MMS, Conditional Call Forwarding, 10 message VM
    12GB/90 days
    $36/Month Public Mobile, $15 400 international LD that don't expire

$49/8GB, Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Device(s)
    HTC Touch (barely works now - piece of junk)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    This isn’t going to bury Shaw. After Tuesday when anyone who couldn’t get thru to one of the BIG 3 (couldn’t be bothered to wait on hold for 3 hours) will still only have one option for reasonable pricing. What will prevent Shaw from extending the offer or providing a new one. They just need to grow customer base and keep improving the network. Freedom has been totally fine for me for over a month now..I won’t go back. If not for Freedom none of you would have even had the opportunity for $60/10gb. I called Telus in November and they wouldn’t budge off of $70/6gb (been with them for over 20yrs). I left and in the future when they try playing hardball with loyal customers, others will too. Competition comes with a few growing pains but we should all be supporting what Freedom and Shaw have done.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Big Three wireless carriers take aim at Freedom with discounted plans
    Globe and Mail, Dec 18
    (paywall)

Canada's Big Three wireless carriers created a customer frenzy over the weekend as they rolled out deeply discounted plans with large data caps in what experts say is a direct response to the threat posed by Freedom Mobile.

Globe Unlimited
    Last edited by pjw918; 12-18-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    turn off javascript to bypass the paywall
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Shaw 'set off a bomb' in the cellphone data market, experts say
    Vancouver Sun, Dec 18
    Randy Shore

Renewed consumer choice and aggressive pricing by Shaw Freedom Mobile has “set off a bomb” in the cellular data market, experts say.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission two years ago set the stage for price competition by releasing cellphone customers from confining long-term contracts that were the norm in the industry, said Lindsay Meredith, a professor emeritus at SFU’s Beedie School of Business.

Suddenly, it was much easier for cellular providers to poach customers away from their competitors.

Over the weekend, Rogers temporarily dropped its price for 10 gigabytes of data per month to $60 for customers with their own phone, followed quickly by price-matching moves by Telus/Koodo and Bell. Ten gigs of data usually costs around $115.

“You can bet there are some fevered backroom meetings going on at the major carriers about what to do next,” Meredith said.
    “These guys have done a wonderful job of avoiding direct price competition for quite a long time,” said Meredith. “Everybody’s product is exactly the same, like gasoline … so they are very careful just to match each other’s prices and not undercut prices under any circumstances.”
    “You can bet there are some fevered backroom meetings going on at the major carriers about what to do next,” Meredith said.

Another discount offer could trigger a “death spiral” of price cutting, he said.

“These guys have done a wonderful job of avoiding direct price competition for quite a long time,” said Meredith. “Everybody’s product is exactly the same, like gasoline … so they are very careful just to match each other’s prices and not undercut prices under any circumstances.”

“That prevents consumers from playing one off against the other,” he said.

That all changed in October when Shaw Freedom Mobile introduced a plan offering 10 gigs for just $50, which “set off a bomb in the market,” he said.

Shaw rolled out its LTE data service in Canada’s urban markets on bands available to the majority of handsets and added service for iPhone, according to Shaw spokesman Chethan Lakshman.

Its broader appeal and aggressive pricing likely triggered a rush of new customers, said Marc-David Seidel, a professor at UBC’s Sauder School of Business.

"People are now able to unlock their phones and switch carriers more easily, so that creates more competitive pressure,” he said.
    “That price shake-up from a fourth carrier (Shaw) is what sparked this.”
    "People are now able to unlock their phones and switch carriers more easily, so that creates more competitive pressure,” he said. “That price shake-up from a fourth carrier (Shaw) is what sparked this.”

Even more change — and more competition — is coming.

Some canny Canadians are already taking advantage of US$40 T-Mobile One plans from the United States, with unlimited voice, text and five gigs of data, even when the phone is in Canada, he said.

“Sixty dollars for 10 gigs may be low — even half-price by Canadian standards — but it’s still well above what people pay in other countries,” he said.

Seidel predicted an even bigger shake-up when global players such as Google arrive with plans such as Project Fi, which offers unlimited calls and texts for US$20 and flat-fee data that rolls over month to month.

In the meantime, customers who missed the weekend price war and want a better rate should call their provider and threaten to switch carriers, said Meredith.

“They have a lot of (price) flexibility for customer retention, and it’s far cheaper to retain an existing customer than to recruit new ones,” he said. “If this (weekend) is the start of price competition, consumers might win one for a change.”

- via sirtate

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    lol
    "experts" who did not notice Fido incented the pricing war
    Tell me this Freedom propaganda is not a paid ad to look like news

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    lol
    "experts" who did not notice Fido incented the pricing war
    Tell me this Freedom propaganda is not a paid ad to look like news
    LOL at thinking this wasn't a result of Shaw.

Rogers reacted to Shaw putting out an aggressive plan at the same time unlocked phones became required and Freedom also gained iPhone. They tried to restrict it to limited geographies where Freedom is well deployed, but outside of their major Ontario market. Koodo exploded it for them from there.

If this is Freedom propaganda, then it is propaganda being spread by media owned by Bell and Rogers...are Bell and Rogers being paid by Shaw to spread their message? LOL!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast