Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: can we discuss public IP versus natted IP on either 3G or 4G/LTE service?

Feedback Score

can we discuss public IP versus natted IP on either 3G or 4G/LTE service?

Im in the process of trying to set up an unthrottled/legacy UDP (loyalty, I believe, not sure) on a biz account. I understand that the 4510L in LTE mode that I plan on using will get me a private IP address.

Is there a way to force 3G mode? I understand that I may be able to get a public IP this way. Even if it is not static, thats fine with me; I just would like the ability to run home security camera server at my house. Even if there is some speed slowdown, this could be OK as well.

So my questions:

1. can I force a 4510L to go into 3G mode?
    2. assuming 1 = yes, will I then get a public IP?
    3. assuming 2 = yes, will a server be able to receive requests from clients dispersed on the internet?

thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opticalcc View Post
    Im in the process of trying to set up an unthrottled/legacy UDP (loyalty, I believe, not sure) on a biz account. I understand that the 4510L in LTE mode that I plan on using will get me a private IP address.

Is there a way to force 3G mode? I understand that I may be able to get a public IP this way. Even if it is not static, thats fine with me; I just would like the ability to run home security camera server at my house. Even if there is some speed slowdown, this could be OK as well.

So my questions:

1. can I force a 4510L to go into 3G mode?
    2. assuming 1 = yes, will I then get a public IP?
    3. assuming 2 = yes, will a server be able to receive requests from clients dispersed on the internet?

thanks!
    What kind of server are you running?

You can run a vpn on that server and get access to ur cameras that way.

Im using blue iris thru verizon as well and using a vpn was a good choice for me.

You can buy a static ip thru verizon which will net you access to open ports so you csn get to ur server.

I havent heard of anyone dropping to 3g to get there.

The g upload speed is so bad it wouldnt be useable anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    i just used a camera server for example - in reality i have an openvpn server set up on my pfsense router that Id like to use an aircard/mifi USB to connect to.

oh ok thanks - so i can just go to the webpage for my biz wireless and order static ip service for that line and it wont cancel my plan, right? LOL.

im kind of sketched at the VPN thing. the one I tried gave me a private IP and when I used it, all of a sudden, every website I went to had tons of really difficult CAPTCHAs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opticalcc View Post
    oh ok thanks - so i can just go to the webpage for my biz wireless and order static ip service for that line and it wont cancel my plan, right? LOL.

im kind of sketched at the VPN thing. the one I tried gave me a private IP and when I used it, all of a sudden, every website I went to had tons of really difficult CAPTCHAs.
    Im not sure about that since its a grandfathered unlimited but i dont think they will cancel. But its expensive. I believe its 500.00. On time fee.

Yea thats why i asked what kind of server. You can just vpn the server and not all your regular traffic since your only needing a open port.

Feedback Score
    You can also use ssh port forwarding if you don't want to run the whole line or device over VPN.
    I haven't looked at vpn providers in a couple years but 2 years ago these were the only ones I could find that allowed port forwarding:
    azirevpn all ports open and forwarded.
    airvpn 20 ports above 2048
    ovpn.to 20 ports 1025 to 60000
    nvpn.net 8 ports
    proxy.sh 5 ports

As for 3G assigning a public IP I've never gotten that to work on a LTE line supposedly you could at one point disable eHRPD and get a public IP on a uml290 but I was never able to get that to work.

Adding a static IP is probably the most straightforward option with just $500 and changing the modem APN.

VPN or ssh port forward is probably the most reasonable as far as cost/benefit but is a more complex setup.

The online system has been dropping features like unlimited data without prompting so it's currently recommended to have the sim in a smart phone while making changes.

Feedback Score
    i dont believe ssh portforwarding will work - id want to get into my home via my other mobile phone which will presumably also not be able to take inbound connections as a server.

ok good to know about those other vpn servers that do allow some server ports thanks.

also good to know about putting sim in a smart phone. odd workaround, but OK. does anyone know of the technical reasons that does the trick? so basically before i buy staticIP, i just add a smartphone to the biz acct, then transfer the udp line to it, then add staticIP?

Feedback Score
    I use airvpn. You can port forward with them.

Feedback Score
    If you have another connection available with open ports or a VPS you could run the ssh port forwarding from there so
    smartphone > VPS IP|ssh port forward|home

The VPS IP will be your public IP address but only on the ports you forward. You can do the same with a VPN but that usually routes all traffic so smartphone > VPN IP|VPN|home

Something at your house will have to maintain a ssh or vpn connection to an outside server so you can accept incoming connections.

Verizon allows you to use your sim in any compatible device (with the exception of the T1114) however if the sim is placed in a device that the plan or features would not be compatible with upon any feature change they are reevaluated and dropped if incompatible.

I think this is a rather recent change as IIRC it used to ask before dropping incompatible features.

A smartphone is the only technically fully compatible device with the plan so it's reasonably safe to make changes with it in a smart phone without worrying it's going to drop something important (like GUDP) without asking.

Yeah pretty much IIUC it's a one time $500 charge to get static IPs but you can get static IPs on all your devices for that same price (up to 500 devices) it's per account not per device.

Feedback Score
    What about using a computer with softether installed? It looks like it should work but I have not set mine up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    If you have another connection available with open ports or a VPS you could run the ssh port forwarding from there so
    smartphone > VPS IP|ssh port forward|home

The VPS IP will be your public IP address but only on the ports you forward. You can do the same with a VPN but that usually routes all traffic so smartphone > VPN IP|VPN|home

Something at your house will have to maintain a ssh or vpn connection to an outside server so you can accept incoming connections.

Verizon allows you to use your sim in any compatible device (with the exception of the T1114) however if the sim is placed in a device that the plan or features would not be compatible with upon any feature change they are reevaluated and dropped if incompatible.

I think this is a rather recent change as IIRC it used to ask before dropping incompatible features.

A smartphone is the only technically fully compatible device with the plan so it's reasonably safe to make changes with it in a smart phone without worrying it's going to drop something important (like GUDP) without asking.

Yeah pretty much IIUC it's a one time $500 charge to get static IPs but you can get static IPs on all your devices for that same price (up to 500 devices) it's per account not per device.

Feedback Score
    Softether is a VPN should work if you setup a server at work or somewhere else with a public ip
    That would be the same smartphone > VPN IP|VPN|home as above

After looking at it it seems to use a azure vpn relay for SSTP only which most phones don't support but if yours does it would allow a vpn connection with only one extra device.

I may have to edit this later I'm so tired I'm not sure what I wrote.

Feedback Score
    so you all are saying to setup a public VPS somewhere with a staticIP, that listens on port 22? and to keep a client connection from home nailed up to that VPS, and use SSH port forwarding such that when my phone SSH'es to the VPS, I can then access my home network?

I just dont understand how a VPN works in with this.

Feedback Score
    Hahaha well that's a first my reply was blocked by cloudflare.

Feedback Score
    Take that cloudflare!
    Name:  download.png
Views: 927
Size:  77.4 KB

Feedback Score
    Son of a... I just posted a thread about this topic. I should have read more down the general page!

I'm trying to see if cutting my ISP completely is feasible, both TV and internet. I have an gUDP with Verizon and recently experimented with ROOter firmwar (based on OpenWRT). I ended up buying an Asus RT-N66U that, by default, supports dual WAN and Android USB tethering. Like the OP, I have IP cameras I want access to remotely.

I'm not paying $500 for a static IP because who knows how long the gUDP will exist... so it sounds like the other options are:
    1. run everything through a commercial VPN (pfSense can select what traffic to use VPN, not sure if OpenWRT supports this)
    2. run a server (virtual?) somewhere that has a static IP and use ssh port forwarding through ssh tunnel kept open from home (router/pc)

Am I missing something here?

Another idea I have, and I'll be honest, still learning about the topic... so who knows if this even makes sense, is to use IPv6. Isn't the idea of IPv6 to have an "unlimited" addresses so we don't have to F with NAT due to lack of public IPv4 addresses? Verizon appears to be giving my phone an IPv6 address. I don't really have control over the phone when it's acting as a router. I suspect the phone isn't dishing out IPv6 addresses on the LAN side. But if I put my SIM with gUDP into a 4G LTE modem and use a router that supports the modem... I should be getting an IPv6 address I think. Then, assuming the router supports IPv6, I should be able to get to my devices directly, not even needing port forwarding? I'm not sure if Verizon is 100% IPv6 or if they're using 6to4/dual stack? I'm sure they're running some kind of transition tech since the planet is only at ~15% implementation. IPv6 scares me but I'm willing to try in an effort to get this working! Being able to call my cable provider up and smugly ask to cancel ALL my services.... it makes me salivate!

EDIT: according to ipv6-test.com, I'm getting an IPv4 address and a native IPv6 address! No 6to4, teredo, etc! So I think this one step in the right direction?

Feedback Score
    The IPv6 addresses verizon gives out aren't reachable from the outside. Some kind of stateful firewall verizon's running iirc.

If you do find a way to directly access VZW IPv6 addresses from the net please let me know i've been complaining about their IPv6 implementation for years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast