Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: can we discuss public IP versus natted IP on either 3G or 4G/LTE service?

Feedback Score

I was going to try a test here this evening once I can get a hold of another Verizon phone. My ISP isn't giving out native IPv6 addresses yet I assume for best results I need to test end-to-end with devices that are getting native addresses?

EDIT: Well, that didn't work. I set up a simple android IP webcam app on one phone. Tried to pull up the IP webcam web interface page with the http:[IPv6]:8080 in the other phone's Chrome browser; no dice. Just get an ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT. If I try it from Chrome browser on my Win7 machine through my ISP I get an Error 400 Bad Request "Your client sent a request that this server could not understand." Not sure if that's because my ISP isn't able to figure out I'm trying to go to an IPv6 address or if it's working and that's what I'd expect if Verizon was blocking my request...
    Last edited by Mike714321; 05-12-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Feedback Score
    I'd love to know as well. I'm trying to get off the strict nat 3 on my PS4 for psn. Nat3 restricts some psn features. If I could at least get a nat2 that'd be the key

Feedback Score
    For a PS4 the only options are going to be a router that supports VPN or paying verizon for a static IP.
    Verizon wants $500 one time for static but most VPN's are less than $10/mo and you can usually pay by the month if you like.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    For a PS4 the only options are going to be a router that supports VPN or paying verizon for a static IP.
    Verizon wants $500 one time for static but most VPN's are less than $10/mo and you can usually pay by the month if you like.
    So a vpn can help with nat restrictions? I have pia vpn already but not on a router. Wonder if I can maybe go router-windows pc with internet sharing enabled- PS4 to get to nat 2?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan31 View Post
    So a vpn can help with nat restrictions? I have pia vpn already but not on a router. Wonder if I can maybe go router-windows pc with internet sharing enabled- PS4 to get to nat 2?
    Unless I'm missing something here, you should be able to run all (or split up how you want?) internet through PIA if you set up the VPN on your router. If you're using hotspot and ICS then that probably won't work. May be easier to buy a router that supports Android USB tethering/cell modems as well as VPN.

I've never tried a paid VPN service with gaming but in general I think gaming through a VPN adds a lot of latency.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike714321 View Post
    Unless I'm missing something here, you should be able to run all (or split up how you want?) internet through PIA if you set up the VPN on your router. If you're using hotspot and ICS then that probably won't work. May be easier to buy a router that supports Android USB tethering/cell modems as well as VPN.

I've never tried a paid VPN service with gaming but in general I think gaming through a VPN adds a lot of latency.
    Yeah I'm just tryin to come up with a solution here. That strict nat is killing the psn experience. Was thinking of goin through ICS on a Windows pc with pia vpn enabled so possibly a IP address can be given so the nat can possibly be lowered to nat type 2.

I use the Verizon fios router now for service. Looking to go gigabit soon which means Ethernet instead of coax connection. That'll open up me using my own router.

Feedback Score
    Wait a second this is the verizon wireless forum. Fios is totally different IIUC you should be getting a single public IPv4 address for your router and as long as you have UPnP enabled the ps4 should be able to forward ports itself as needed. They offer a static IP for $20/mo but only on business accounts but you should be able to do everything you want with the dynamic IPv4 they are giving you now unless your router is also getting a NATed address.

Does the WAN IPv4 listed on the router match the IP given by http://whatip.me/ or whatever ip checking service you prefer?

I mean everything we have discussed prior will still work but your problem may be much easier to fix than ours.

Feedback Score
    Wait a second this is the verizon wireless forum. Fios is totally different IIUC you should be getting a single public IPv4 address for your router and as long as you have UPnP enabled the ps4 should be able to forward ports itself as needed. They offer a static IP for $20/mo but only on business accounts but you should be able to do everything you want with the dynamic IPv4 they are giving you now unless your router is also getting a NATed address.

Does the WAN IPv4 listed on the router match the IP given by http://whatip.me/ or whatever ip checking service you prefer?

I mean everything we have discussed prior will still work but your problem may be much easier to fix than ours.
    Let me clarify. I currently have fios. But I have a gudp in a netgear cradle (router) to try to get home internet as backhaul. I'm trying to get that to work as a nat2 to the PS4. Opening ports/dmz doesn't seem to matter. So I thought about using windows ics with vpn to be a bridge to give an up address so it'll open up the nat on the PS4. I don't know if anyone has tried doing it.

Feedback Score
    You might be able to do it with ICS but IDK. If you want to try that route please ensure your computer is fully up to date before putting it on a VPN with an unfiltered net connection. ICS UPnP may work or you may have to forward the ports to the PS4 manually i've never tried it but I think it should work.

azirevpn is the only VPN service i'm aware of that gives you a full public IPv4 and IPv6 but afaik they only have servers in miami which might be too far away from you.

You should be able to get a lower ping by going with a closer VPN or rolling your own on a VPS. However most VPN services don't allow port forwarding.

Also I don't really understand what you're trying to do are you wanting to get rid of the fios connection?

Feedback Score
    You might be able to do it with ICS but IDK. If you want to try that route please ensure your computer is fully up to date before putting it on a VPN with an unfiltered net connection. ICS UPnP may work or you may have to forward the ports to the PS4 manually i've never tried it but I think it should work.

azirevpn is the only VPN service i'm aware of that gives you a full public IPv4 and IPv6 but afaik they only have servers in miami which might be too far away from you.

You should be able to get a lower ping by going with a closer VPN or rolling your own on a VPS. However most VPN services don't allow port forwarding.

Also I don't really understand what you're trying to do are you wanting to get rid of the fios connection?
    Possibly get rid of fios would be nice. Although the 69.99 gigabit is a nice promo.

I have pia vpn that I would use. Closest server I believe is nyc. Ping is about 40-50 getting over 80% of advertised speeds still.

Haven't heard of azirevpn might check them out.

Feedback Score
    I can't imagine giving up a gigabit connection for a cellular one. At least not with the speeds I get here I run around 38Mbps on VZW at home.

PIA only appears to allow forwarding of a single port and only on servers in these locations:
    CA Toronto
    CA Montreal
    Netherlands
    Switzerland
    Sweden
    France
    Germany
    Romania
    Israel

That's just the info I can get from their FAQ pages I haven't tried their service.

From what I can find the PS4 requires multiple forwarded ports:
    TCP: 80, 443, 1935, 3478-3480
    UDP: 3478-3479
    for nat 2.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2