Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: International SIM Unlock from AT&T

Feedback Score

International SIM Unlock from AT&T

Does AT&T differentiate between a Domestic SIM Unlock and an International SIM Unlock? If a phone is brand new and still has additional monthly payments for the device before it's paid off, my understanding is that AT&T will not yet unlock the phone for use with other domestic carriers. But if planning to travel overseas will AT&T, upon request, provide an International SIM Unlock to enable the phone to use a foreign SIM when abroad? If so, how does one go about obtaining it?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    No, there isn't a distinction between domestic and international unlocks with AT&T.
    Once unlocked you can insert any SIM to use.

Go here for more details...
    https://www.att.com/esupport/article...less/KM1008728

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The SiM is not unlocked, the phone is unlocked. Just wanted to make the distinction.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    So AT&T will not unlock the phone for international travel if it is too early per their unlock policy to unlock?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by josephf View Post
    So AT&T will not unlock the phone for international travel if it is too early per their unlock policy to unlock?
    What phone? Some phones are easily unlocked on eBay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    In the past, AT&T willingly unlocked my phone for international travel, even when I was under contract. But the last time I requested to unlock a new phone that I got from AT&T under contract (back in 2015), AT&T refused my request. I had to go on eBay and purchase an unlock code for $4.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    If your unlock request was denied, file an informal FCC complaint. If enough people do that, AT&T will tell their team to let up and permit more unlock requests.

Each informal FCC complaint takes real man hours to answer. It isn't in AT&T's interest to deny legit unlock requests, if people do the right thing and complain.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    If your unlock request was denied, file an informal FCC complaint. If enough people do that, AT&T will tell their team to let up and permit more unlock requests.

Each informal FCC complaint takes real man hours to answer. It isn't in AT&T's interest to deny legit unlock requests, if people do the right thing and complain.
    If the contract is not complete they can deny the request as specified in the Terms & Conditions of service. The FCC cannot force At&t in that example.

Sent from my SM-P900 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    If the contract is not complete they can deny the request as specified in the Terms & Conditions of service. The FCC cannot force At&t in that example.

Sent from my SM-P900 using HoFo mobile app
    I don't think we disagree. I still stand by the commentary. Device subsidy locks, in my view, should be protested in regard to international travel. An FCC complaint is the only form of protest that costs AT&T money to respond to.

The FCC can only solidly reform policy "in the public interest" if they receive complaints from the public, with real-world experiences.

The industry prices and encourages people to pay $800 for devices, then when they go on vacation, the device is locked into the carrier's international travel - on the premise of domestic SIM swapping at home. Particularly when subsidy locks could be limited to domestic SIMs.

Feedback Score
    I don't think we disagree. I still stand by the commentary. Device subsidy locks, in my view, should be protested in regard to international travel. An FCC complaint is the only form of protest that costs AT&T money to respond to.
    Protest something you knew when getting into it, and you didnt have to buy. Plenty alternatives out there.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    Protest something you knew when getting into it, and you didnt have to buy. Plenty alternatives out there.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. Rackets rarely resolve themselves, even in light of alternatives.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
    In the past, AT&T willingly unlocked my phone for international travel, even when I was under contract. But the last time I requested to unlock a new phone that I got from AT&T under contract (back in 2015), AT&T refused my request. I had to go on eBay and purchase an unlock code for $4.
    they were bad back then and they got much worse at that since 2015, that's for sure.
    http://www.barrons.com/articles/my-t...ing-1455562895
    https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-2...l/td-p/3672203
    https://arstechnica.com/staff/2014/1...l-customer-me/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comment...king_iphone_7/
    Last edited by sororo; 05-16-2017 at 01:39 AM.
    Let's go unlimited!

Feedback Score
    The industry prices and encourages people to pay $800 for devices, then when they go on vacation, the device is locked into the carrier's international travel - on the premise of domestic SIM swapping at home. Particularly when subsidy locks could be limited to domestic SIMs.
    The consumer is not forced to purchase and finance a phone for a post paid plan. The consumer has other options for phones at a lower cost and other options to pay for the phones.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried unlocking though. I have a S7 active on next and it is only 7 or 8 payments in. I made an u lock request and it was approved no problem. The phone had to be replaced for warranty purposes and decided to request the replacement be u locked. Again it was unlocked with no problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    The consumer is not forced to purchase and finance a phone for a post paid plan. The consumer has other options for phones at a lower cost and other options to pay for the phones.
    That's right, as somebody who travels outside the US frequently, I seek alternatives to the unlocking policies of the wireless carriers. I usually pay somebody to unlock it for me or purchase devices which aren't locked. Problem solved without wasting time waiting for a bureaucracy to do something, and even before the the CITA and FCC jointly addressed this issue, I was already enjoying unlocked devices.

But like you said, there are options if one feels constrained by the draconian unlocking policies of the wireless carriers..
    If somebody wants to fight long and hard, that's fine with me...
    Me? I have other things to do..and its not fighting long and hard for a problem which can be easily solved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast