Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Verizon travel pass price increases

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I guess I was lucky that Verizon didn't have this 500mb limit last January when I was in Australia. I first heard about this limit when Verizon came out with the unlimited plan after this.

I have another overseas vacation in mind in 16 months. I may make other plans.
    I gave into temptation, and bought the iPhone X, even though I had a perfectly good, though oversized, 7+.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    How are people using 500mb/day on their cell phones??

My wife and I use 4GB month between our 2 lines = 67mb/day/line. Granted, we're both on WiFi a lot which is why we can get by with this amount, but if you're exceeding 500mb/day on a cell phone, it feels like you're abusing your usage. You can certainly wait until you're on WiFi to install large apps/updates. Speed tests will burn through your data like no other and that's probably why carriers impose these types of usage caps in the first place. You're wasting data just for the sake of wasting data when running speed tests. If you can use your phone as normal (websites, maps, social networking apps, etc.) with a reasonable speed, does a speed test benefit you in any way? No.

500mb is more than reasonable on a daily basis.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post

My wife and I use 4GB month between our 2 lines = 67mb/day/line. Granted, we're both on WiFi a lot which is why we can get by with this amount, but if you're exceeding 500mb/day on a cell phone, it feels like you're abusing your usage. You can certainly wait until you're on WiFi to install large apps/updates. Speed tests will burn through your data like no other and that's probably why carriers impose these types of usage caps in the first place. You're wasting data just for the sake of wasting data when running speed tests. If you can use your phone as normal (websites, maps, social networking apps, etc.) with a reasonable speed, does a speed test benefit you in any way? No.

Try getting a request to collaborate on a document while traveling. Or FaceTime/Skype help your elderly parents solve a computer problem. 500MB is terrible, and the competition thankfully knows it.

Wi-Fi abroad is a painful hit and miss equation. Especially when you don't speak the language...

My rule of thumb is the same. Sign up for a month of T-Mobile One+ International whenever traveling. None of the new plan stuff at VZ changes that for me, at all.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    How are people using 500mb/day on their cell phones?? My wife and I use 4GB month between our 2 lines = 67mb/day/line. Granted, we're both on WiFi a lot which is why we can get by with this amount, but if you're exceeding 500mb/day on a cell phone, it feels like you're abusing your usage. You can certainly wait until you're on WiFi to install large apps/updates.
    Streaming audio/video.
    Wifi doesn't cover me when I'm on the road...
    I drive from the US into either Mexico or Canada with a car, that means I may need route guidance and something to keep me entertained while I'm driving or otherwise "on the road". Never mind the traffic I encounter when I'm in the city or freeways, it's the same stuff I deal when I'm So Cal. How about returning back to the US by car/foot? That's a wait..might as well keep yourself occupied as long as your phone will last.

And, I generally don't use public wifi, I can't trust it or it's slow/flaky...
    But it's just a waste of time for me to play with wifi settings. There's no real need for me to play with these settings for various wifi AP I may encounter if the local wireless carrier offers coverage.

And Verizon is still the only major wireless carrier who left out unlimited data in Mexico and Canada..

If you can use your phone as normal (websites, maps, social networking apps, etc.) with a reasonable speed, does a speed test benefit you in any way? No
    No, it doesn't but Verizon Wireless or the other carriers don't really care how you use it
    They just don't want you to continuously using it off the network...

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelf View Post
    For real haha. It was around 18 down/5 up on Proximus and slightly slower on BASE. Pings were atrocious at around 300ms but usable.

The advantage over T-Mobile though was I could call unlimited still without an additional per minute charge.
    Yeah VZ is still better than TMO internationally for me. It's pretty rare that I hit 500 MB and do enough phone calls that the per minute charge would exceed $10.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Probably 95% of the time 500MB is plenty for me. But as "hatoncat" mentioned, there's a high probability a co-workers' gonna email and say, "hey can you have a look at the latest spreadsheet or presentation or other document" bloated with 20+ MB of snazzy graphics.

The thing that pushed me over 500MB on my last trip was an app called Maps.me. I downloaded a bunch of maps to use offline as I was going to be driving in an area that looked to have questionable cell coverage.

Feedback Score

Your usage tells me your not taking full advantage of the very expensive phones (most likely) that you pay for. The future is 100% mobile 500MB a day is like telling a car owner they should only drive 20 miles a day.

Feedback Score
    Do u think they limit to 500mb a day because they can't offer roaming agreements in return because they are CDMA based. I feel that AT&T gets allot better roaming rates as they are able to offer inbound roaming plus they are the largest GSM provider in the US. Does anyone know if Verizon let any international carriers roam on its network. I remember reading somewhere that KDDI roams on Verizon here in the states but I think that's it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Just stream a few videos, spend a few hours on Google Maps, send a few pictures back home, and bam. There you are.
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bradpgh47 View Post
    Do u think they limit to 500mb a day because they can't offer roaming agreements in return because they are CDMA based. I feel that AT&T gets allot better roaming rates as they are able to offer inbound roaming plus they are the largest GSM provider in the US. Does anyone know if Verizon let any international carriers roam on its network. I remember reading somewhere that KDDI roams on Verizon here in the states but I think that's it.
    Certainly Verizon is in a tough position in a lot of these countries. That's why it took so long for Japan to even get added to TravelPass.

But Verizon needs to play to win. People are traveling internationally more as the economy recovers.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    Your usage tells me your not taking full advantage of the very expensive phones (most likely) that you pay for. The future is 100% mobile 500MB a day is like telling a car owner they should only drive 20 miles a day.
    Well, my wife and I both have jobs where our phones are on WiFi. And we both have laptops at those jobs, so we're not on our phones all day. In the evenings, same thing - laptops at home & on WiFi. I agree that mobile usage is on the rise (I've seen the statistics showing steady increases over the past decade), but I guess we're in the new minority in that we don't sit on our phones all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by mrizz96 View Post
    Just stream a few videos, spend a few hours on Google Maps, send a few pictures back home, and bam. There you are.
    Why would I be watching videos when I'm traveling (unless I'm on the plane or in the hotel - in either case I'm using WiFi)? If I'm traveling, I'm either on vacation or on a business trip. If I'm on vacation, I'm certainly not watching videos. If I were doing that, I should have just saved my money and stayed home. If I'm on a business trip, I *might* have a couple of hours in the evening to watch a video (not a scenario that presents itself often in my line of work), but again, I'd be in my hotel room and on the WiFi (and probably watching on a larger iPad vs. my iPhone).

I'm not trying to argue - I guess our usage patterns are just different. I'm also not in the generation that grew up glued to a phone, so I guess I don't feel the need to be glued to one now. Don't get me wrong, we use our phones a lot, but not as much as many of the teens/twenty-somethings I see. I honestly can't see ever using more than 500mb in a single day unless I'm downloading/updating a bunch of apps, in which case, I wouldn't do that over the cellular network if I had a 500mb data cap. I'm certainly not going to burn through my 500mb cap by running useless speed tests like many HoFo members seem to do!
    Last edited by jkozlow3; 04-27-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If I have high usage needs for international data, I use a local hotspot and data SIM. For example, in China I can get a good amount of data for pretty cheap on a prepaid SIM that I can reload (or get a new one with like 150GB of data.) That way I can still use my phone on international roaming for calls or even under 500MB of data w/o the hotspot on the go and don't have the inconvenience of using a foriegn SIM in my phone. But for doing work I put my laptop and phone through the hotspot. On some days I even get by with never turning on the phone (not get charged $10 for data pass) and use Verizon Wi-Fi calling through the hotspot or local WiFi.

Anyway, I agree with the criticism of the 500MB cap being too low and throttling too slow vs competition. I'm not disagreeing. I'm just trying ot offer a pragmatic solution.

There is https://www.skyroam.com/ which is not as cheap as local data SIMs, but way more convenient than fiddling with foriegn SIMs or even finding/figuring out in the first place. I've not SkyRoam myself but it looks good on paper. I have the advantage that I'm usually traveling on business and everything is expensable but for my next personal trip, I might get the SkyRoam and the family can all use it.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My daughter used 1.5 GB/day when on vacation.

Are those of us with the XXL plan and $0/day TravelPass in Canada exempt/grandfathered from this 500 MB/day throttling?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    $10+tax/day is still a pretty good bump when using data from your existing data plan. And when I went to Australia, I bumped up my plan data for that month to handle a possible jump in usage. And since my hotels tended to charge more than $10/day, I saved money.

So if I'm going to consider getting a local SIM the next trip anyway, so I have more data available, why do I even need postpaid?

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm traveling to Canada and looked up a travel pass but I don't see the $5.00 option. Only a $25.00 for one months but I'm only gone a weekend.

I currently have the GDUP. Is there a place I should be looking on their site for the Travel Pass?
    iPhone X - Verizon gdup unl.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast