Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Wi-Fi calling

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 403808 View Post
    Has anyone got wifi calling working with Freedom on an iPhone? (we know this model of iPhone does support wifi calling because it currently works with Rogers wifi calling).

Thanks
    Wifi calling needs some settings in the firmware. (Folks at XDA are trying to get it to "unsupported devices"). What this means is that apple must include the settings for Freedom's wifi calling servers in the OS before the phone can use those to connect. This wont happen until Freedom pays a lot of money to apple and apple makes an iphone to work on Freedom's bands.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus (256GB). iPhone 6S Plus (128GB). iPad 6th Generation (2018) (128GB).
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    Wifi calling needs some settings in the firmware. (Folks at XDA are trying to get it to "unsupported devices"). What this means is that apple must include the settings for Freedom's wifi calling servers in the OS before the phone can use those to connect. This wont happen until Freedom pays a lot of money to apple and apple makes an iphone to work on Freedom's bands.
    And is why on Freedom's page it says "certain proprietary software hasn't been made available to us" Shaw knows how to clear this up. Problem is, will they?

Any iPhone will work with WiFi calling on any provider (provided it's an unlocked phone that came straight from Apple) it's the "certain proprietary software" that Freedom needs that's holding it up.

Also any iPhone from the 5S up will work on Freedom. It's that "red tape".

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver8666 View Post
    Any iPhone will work with WiFi calling on any provider (provided it's an unlocked phone that came straight from Apple) it's the "certain proprietary software" that Freedom needs that's holding it up.

Also any iPhone from the 5S up will work on Freedom. It's that "red tape".
    In an ideal world yes it will. In a practical world, Freedom is a small provider and the money they can pay apple is not in line with the price plans they offer so they cannot probably pay apple to unlock VoWifi

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus (256GB). iPhone 6S Plus (128GB). iPad 6th Generation (2018) (128GB).
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    In an ideal world yes it will. In a practical world, Freedom is a small provider and the money they can pay apple is not in line with the price plans they offer so they cannot probably pay apple to unlock VoWifi
    I can't see it this way. If Android users can access VoWifi, then iPhone users should be able to do the same. But then again I can't see VoWifi or VoLTE happening for at least a couple of years. Shaw can hold off but for how long?

That's my opinion.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Only way iPhone will get VoWiFi is when Shaw adds Band 13/17 LTE.

With only Band 66, iPhone users would not get a adequate experience on the network, as not everyone will be with the latest iPhone (most will be with 7 and older models, therefore for Apple to approve the network meet Apple Quality Control, Shaw will have to make sure LTE 13/17 are available for ALL iPhone users.

Its not that the network has to pay a lump sum to Apple to get on the bandwagon, its just the network isn't able to offer the standard of service Apple expects for its customers and everyone knows, Android manufacturers don't stand behind their products as much to push networks to deliver quality of service. (You guys know that Apple left T-Mobile out until they got their network in good enough shape to provide quality experience for iPhone users)

Once Band 13/17 are lit up, I'm sure we will see iPhone come to Freedom in no time along with VoWiFi and VoLTE.

As others have said, Shaw should heavily focus on launching the Band 13/17 instead of building out Band 66, as Band 13/17 will serve greater area especially Band 13, and backdrop can be Band 17/66, even if they have less MHz available as it'll offload lots of the traffic from the 3G network as well.

Anyway this is just my opinion, not that I'm a god or anything, it could be many other number of things like Freedom selling iPhone's without Apple's approval as well.
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Koodo: $40/8GB w/ 1000 International Minutes
    Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    Only way iPhone will get VoWiFi is when Shaw adds Band 13/17 LTE.

With only Band 66, iPhone users would not get a adequate experience on the network, as not everyone will be with the latest iPhone (most will be with 7 and older models, therefore for Apple to approve the network meet Apple Quality Control, Shaw will have to make sure LTE 13/17 are available for ALL iPhone users.

Its not that the network has to pay a lump sum to Apple to get on the bandwagon, its just the network isn't able to offer the standard of service Apple expects for its customers and everyone knows, Android manufacturers don't stand behind their products as much to push networks to deliver quality of service. (You guys know that Apple left T-Mobile out until they got their network in good enough shape to provide quality experience for iPhone users)

Once Band 13/17 are lit up, I'm sure we will see iPhone come to Freedom in no time along with VoWiFi and VoLTE.

As others have said, Shaw should heavily focus on launching the Band 13/17 instead of building out Band 66, as Band 13/17 will serve greater area especially Band 13, and backdrop can be Band 17/66, even if they have less MHz available as it'll offload lots of the traffic from the 3G network as well.

Anyway this is just my opinion, not that I'm a god or anything, it could be many other number of things like Freedom selling iPhone's without Apple's approval as well.
    Apple won't even consider adding Band 66 in with the iPhones, unless it's widely deployed and your T-Mobile reference sounds like it's on the ball. I believe Apple would not put in Band 12 unless T-Mobile got their network into shape. T-Mobile wanted Band 12 in the iPhone. Apple said no way until you get your network into shape. They can tell Freedom this if Freedom asks for Band 66 to be included in the iPhone. In addition because of the numerous problems experienced by our users that have Band 66 phones that aren't Freedom branded, Apple can also tell Freedom "this had better work without having the customer flash something to make it work". I still think that's ridiculous that the customer has to flash firmware on the phone just to get Band 66 LTE. But since it's only Android devices, we'll never know for at least a couple of more years if this is the case with Apple.

Android manufacturers not standing behind their products is right. I have a ZE552KL that I have to send back to Asus for the 4th time in either September or October, but before the 1 year warranty runs out on it. This was the major reason I got an iPhone. But working on Bands 7, 13 and 17 (or whatever) should be Shaw's first priority instead of this Band 66 garbage. Everyone has at least Band 7, but some Android users have 13, 17 or both. iPhone users have it all. I've said it as well. Bands 7, 13 and 17 first, then 66. Not the other way around.

They've purchased that spectrum from Videotron, now we'll see if it's been a waste of money because as I said before iPhone users will have more pull than Android users. As soon as they purchased that spectrum, getting that lit should take priority over Band 66, and of course pleasing those on "legacy" devices and the iPhone users out there.

Your last sentence they have done twice and got caught. We'll see what happens. Apple could include a clause that prohibits Freedom from selling used iPhones in their stores (the big 3 I believe do not do it, and I'm not sure about SaskTel or Videotron, but I doubt they would do it either).

Either way you look at it, Shaw will be forced to do this one way or the other, through the customers or through Apple. If it's through Apple, then it benefits everyone since iPhones have to have the bands in the phone for international operation.

Feedback Score
    why s8 no wifi calling?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Android manufacturers not standing behind their products is right. I have a ZE552KL that I have to send back to Asus for the 4th time in either September or October, but before the 1 year warranty runs out on it. This was the major reason I got an iPhone. B.
    With all due respect, you are comparing a $200 android with a $1000 iphone. Pick some apples-to-apples comparison. Compare Google Pixel and their support to Apple iphone.

If you want to buy a cheap phone, then dont expect any support.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    With all due respect, you are comparing a $200 android with a $1000 iphone. Pick some apples-to-apples comparison. Compare Google Pixel and their support to Apple iphone.

If you want to buy a cheap phone, then dont expect any support.
    To tell you the truth, I did test drive a Pixel once. It was good, I liked it. But I do agree with your assessment and that only came to light when my ZE552KL bootlooped on the GO Train. That's how I came to be in possession of an iPhone. Google would do it, the same with Apple. The rest is up for speculation. When I sent my ZE552KL into Asus for service the 3rd time, I requested on the form that a new one be sent back. They didn't do it. If it was Google or Apple, they would probably let me have a new one. 4 times in less than a year under normal use tells you something is seriously wrong. Plus they have a record of how many times it's been sent back as well. Apple and Google are good about pushing out security updates, because it comes from them. With manufacturers you usually have to wait. Worse off if it's carrier branded. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I did have a 6S before I exchanged it before the 15 days was up, but it was only to test drive it. I couldn't get used to the 4.7" screen. That's why I have the 6S Plus. I only had to pay $138.00 difference. Did it cost over a grand? Yes. Definitely. But this is completely unlocked. So far, I have not had one single issue with it.

Looking back at your last sentence, you won't get an argument from me on that. I'll send it back in for service in September or October, but as soon as I get it back, just throw it in my desk drawer and only bring it out for emergency use. I have a ZE551ML that is used as a backup. Never once had an issue with it and it's beyond the warranty period. It did go for service, but only once when I had screen issues. I called it on the Asus forms "the Ninja Issue". How that came to be was my phone is PIN locked. When you turned the phone on, the numbers would not show. You had to be a ninja and remember where the numbers were to get into the phone. If you were slightly off pressing the numbers, you failed. If it was the pattern, it'd be even worse. When I told Asus about this, and used the term "the Ninja Issue" they had me send the phone in. They replaced the touch panel and it's never given me a problem since, but the battery in that phone is horrible. Under normal use, it would not last 8 hours.

It also keeps me brushed up on my Android experience. Even though the phone won't get N or O. Or P. Or even minding the P's and Q's. That's something we won't get into. I'm sure if I flashed the ROM, I could get both.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Apple won't even consider adding Band 66 in with the iPhones, unless it's widely deployed... T-Mobile wanted Band 12 in the iPhone. Apple said no way until you get your network into shape. They can tell Freedom this if Freedom asks for Band 66 to be included in the iPhone.
    You've been making this sound rather arbitrary and Freedom-centric. Whether B66 is included or not in the next iPhone is dependent on the Intel modem supplied. If it's the new XMM7560 we'll see B66 in the iPhone 8, but Intel may not have been able to ramp up production in time for the September launch. Apple uses both Intel & Qualcomm chips and will enable the capabilities in common between the two. That's my understanding.

Feedback Score
    I don't know what is the fuss about wi-fi calling. I had a lg g4 and the wi-fi calling drained my battery like hell. Install a voip app and the forward when not available and you can make calls too. Textnow or Textme or Fongo a good options. Good luck!

Sent from my HUAWEI MLA-L03 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Configured properly VoIP (and SMS with voip.ms) is a decent substitute for WiFi calling, and available to all devices..
    Freedom's online account allows you to enable/disable Call Forwarding 'remotely'. Convenient!
    Currently, very few of Freedom's device roster offer both WiFi calling and B13..

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    You've been making this sound rather arbitrary and Freedom-centric. Whether B66 is included or not in the next iPhone is dependent on the Intel modem supplied. If it's the new XMM7560 we'll see B66 in the iPhone 8, but Intel may not have been able to ramp up production in time for the September launch. Apple uses both Intel & Qualcomm chips and will enable the capabilities in common between the two. That's my understanding.
    It isint so far. But we'll know come September. You are right though. I researched this and all signs pointed to no. If they make an S model, then it's possible. I should research my phone to see what modem is in it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    Configured properly VoIP (and SMS with voip.ms) is a decent substitute for WiFi calling, and available to all devices..
    Freedom's online account allows you to enable/disable Call Forwarding 'remotely'. Convenient!
    Currently, very few of Freedom's device roster offer both WiFi calling and B13..
    Unless it's an iPhone. Some 66 phones have Band 13. Everyone has 7.

And to clear the air I'm not for or against. But getting everyone on LTE would be the least of our problems.

Device(s)
    Samsung s8+
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    wish it was app based if the phone supported wifi calling as the nexus 6p does but it will never get it.
    Freedom Mobile
    Line 1:
    $59 LTE Plan for $59
    Line 2: $45 Unlimited everything a month $45

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast