Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: how to completely erase everything from iPhone before selling?

Feedback Score
    I think you can use iPhone data eraser program to help you completely erase everything from iPhone before selling. Personal data like contacts, text messages, photos, videos, etc can be easily erased. And the erased data can't be recovered any more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanterty View Post
    does 'erase all content' could erase files completely without recovery?
    No, this erasure method is not thorough enough. Many people are able to recover data from iOS devices after a factory reset because of the use of data recovery tools. The recovery principle of these data recovery tools is that after the data is deleted, it does not completely disappear into the storage space, but is in an "invisible state". As long as no new data takes up its storage location, it can be used by the data recovery tool Restore to its original shape. " You want to completely erase important data, and to be safe, use a data erasure tool for permanent erasure.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have always followed apple's procedure, turn off find my iPhone, sign out of iCloud, go back to general, erase all content and settings, I have done these procedures on multiple iPhones from 5S to 10XS Max and many iPads and none has come back to haunt me

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Danieliel View Post
    No, this erasure method is not thorough enough. Many people are able to recover data from iOS devices after a factory reset because of the use of data recovery tools. The recovery principle of these data recovery tools is that after the data is deleted, it does not completely disappear into the storage space, but is in an "invisible state". As long as no new data takes up its storage location, it can be used by the data recovery tool Restore to its original shape. " You want to completely erase important data, and to be safe, use a data erasure tool for permanent erasure.
    Since either the iPhone 4 or 4s, the iPhone always stores the data in an encrypted manner. If you did an erase all content and settings on, say, an iPhone 3g, the OS would overwrite all data, so it was slow and I guess potentially leave data in overprovisioned flash that could be recovered if you removed the flash chips and used some specialized tool.

Once hardware encryption was enabled, all your passcode did was provide access to the encryption key to unlock the data during use. When you do an erase all content and settings, the phone will then securely wipe the encryption key, making the data inaccessible. So not recoverable, even though the encrypted data is still on the phone.

I just did a quick search this data recovery software, and the web sites tend to conflate several different situations. For instance, if all you lost is some data, but you didn't erase all content and settings on the phone, the data may not have been overwritten yet, so the software can recover it. Or, if you did, but backed up the phone to iCloud or to a computer, data can still be recovered from those backups.

Other cases you may have heard of on the news about law enforcement being able to recover data from a phone using special hardware are for a different use case. Where the phone hasn't been wiped, but is just locked by passcode. The iPhone has an option to erase all data for 10 straight bad login attempts, and apparently these vendors have found a way to quickly try multiple passcodes and prevent the phone from doing the erase.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2