Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: FirstNet: All AT&T LTE bands to be available to public safety this year

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balleron24z View Post
    Not to my knowledge, as it's more than just software. The hardware/chipset has to support it as well. But, being that band 12 and 14 are close (just like 13 is), aside from some basic radio tuning (antenna design and proper configuration of the radio on the SoC), band 14 shouldn't be too hard to achieve on newer hardware. No older hardware is gonna support it to my knowledge, it's only new stuff, and by that, I mean devices that are released with band 14 support.
    That would be correct. It is a shame that manufacturers haven't done B14 already, considering that the spec for it has been around for many years now.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Are you sure about the customer accounts? I know there is supposed to be new SIM cards for FirstNet, but there's also supposed to be apps designed for emergency services as well.
    My thinking is, it has to be a combination of newly designed apps for emergency services and FirstNet designed SIM. I highly doubt if they're looking to watch something on YouTube for personal use, they'll be prioritized over the normal user. It has to be some fine tuned QoS. If not, I already see the problems and black market abuse of FirstNet.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app
    Yep. I've spoken to 2 first net executives with at&t. There won't be a special SIM needed (I'm not sure one will even be made). No app needed either. The provisioning is what will be the key.

I think there will be tight restrictions/verifications to avoid abuse.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    Yep. I've spoken to 2 first net executives with at&t. There won't be a special SIM needed (I'm not sure one will even be made). No app needed either. The provisioning is what will be the key.

I think there will be tight restrictions/verifications to avoid abuse.

Maybe Stream Saver that can't be turned off? There's gotta be some sort of network management that occurs with services/applications that are deemed "non-essential". I think the provisioning would include something that would "manage" data transmission to ensure unauthorized use of the service doesn't occur.
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Maybe Stream Saver that can't be turned off? There's gotta be some sort of network management that occurs with services/applications that are deemed "non-essential". I think the provisioning would include something that would "manage" data transmission to ensure unauthorized use of the service doesn't occur.
    I'm going to be back in contact with them. Hopefully this week. I'll get some clarification on this stuff. I'm very interested! The way it sounded to me, it was like everything on the provisioned device was priority at all times. Stupid me should have asked a few more questions!

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S6, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Most provisioned FirstNet devices should not be set up to have priority at all times. Each agency will have the ability to update the priority for devices via a web portal in almost real-time, although I have a feeling most agencies may just set their devices up to have priority at all times.

Also, devices do not need to have B14 support to utilize the priority features. All existing devices will support network prioritization for FirstNet.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'd assume that the search terms you used didn't pick up that particular question (and subsequent answer), as I've seen it answered across the web on different sites/forums, multiple times here at HoFo. (didn't mean this to come off snotty, simply mea
    Thanks. That is a problem sometimes. If I don't enter the right combination of terms, I can get either an high number of results that don't answer the question I want answered, or maybe the results are hidden in the forest. Type the right thing, and the result is right there.

So the new phone I have won't get additional coverage except where ATT adds other bands to new towers along with B14. If I was on T-Mobile, I would be upset that the new B71 isn't supported on most phones yet too.

And in a year when the better phones support both B71 and B14, there may be some other feature or band coming out that won't be supported yet.
    Overly complicated cell phone service. Unlimited with iPhone X. Low cost plan on other national network with iPhone 7+. And a real cheap pay per use plan for "home number" with Moto E4. Combination of best chance for coverage when traveling, and a home replacement number to give out when I don't want to give out my primary cell phone.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Hopefully, AT&T is smart is how they do it, and voice/text, as well as first-responder related applications will get priority on those devices, and Netflix or Amazon will not.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    Most provisioned FirstNet devices should not be set up to have priority at all times. Each agency will have the ability to update the priority for devices via a web portal in almost real-time, although I have a feeling most agencies may just set their devices up to have priority at all times.

Also, devices do not need to have B14 support to utilize the priority features. All existing devices will support network prioritization for FirstNet.
    I'm not sure if first responders personal phones that they use for work will be in the same web portal as the agency devices, however my guy said those personal devices will be in a separate group from the agency devices, but would still have priority.

Also, the special first net rate plans haven't been finalized yet. When they are, first responders using personal phones for work will have to be on those special rate plans.

Feedback Score

FirstNet: All AT&T LTE Bands To Be Available To Public Safety This Year

Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    I'm not sure if first responders personal phones that they use for work will be in the same web portal as the agency devices, however my guy said those personal devices will be in a separate group from the agency devices, but would still have priority...HoFo mobile app
    That is a good point. Some folks. like firefighters, aren't full time employees in many parts of the country. So, they very well may be using their personal cell phone for a lot of fire related business.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So, U.S. pacific territories like Guam once Firstnet is deployed. Would we have native coverage if visiting the island(s) rather than roaming?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgore View Post
    So, U.S. pacific territories like Guam once Firstnet is deployed. Would we have native coverage if visiting the island(s) rather than roaming?
    Great question, I am curious as well.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgore View Post
    It’s a good bet. Guam is so far it won’t make much of a difference for most US consumers. For the active service members stationed in Guam, however, it would be a great thing for them.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Not sure Military will be considered for Firstnet access as it is for public safety first responders. Can anyone confirm this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    National Guard should be, no? It would have to be dependent on what Military personnel actually do, otherwise around military bases, everybody would have it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, National Guard should be considered. I’m waiting for the Firstnet Rep from North Carolina to respond though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast