Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Sprint introduces all-wireless 'Magic box' small cell

Feedback Score
    is there a way to check the request status online? when i requested one a couple months back, i got an email for the status check, but now it doesn't seem to work. it redirects to just a generic sprint info page

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Got the Magic Box.

Takes forever to bootup....then to say Signal is excellent, switch it to power adapter....which i did and it went dead. It booted up again. took a while.

Its using Band 41 for me fine.. LTE speeds are improved from approx. 6/2 to 20/6.

So from another forum board about the Magic box. Nope my model does not have a internal battery UPS. (gen 2 model did) But it did come with a small usb power bank u use to power it for pre-setup signal testing, then u have to plug it to power outlet to continue setup and for any future use.

Also some interesting info:

I guess i have the 544 model
    the box says: P.Code: U544INU41A2DW5GA05SP
    So is this the newest model? is there a gen 3?
    _______Reply

That's technically gen 3. There's the beta unit (540), then the first consumer unit (545 - gen 1), then the second consumer unit (544 - gen 2). The third unit (546) is coming out soon-ish.

The cellular internals (antenna, relay unit, radio, etc) are all the same on the 545, 544, and 546. The 540 has slightly inferior antannas comparatively, and has a lower transmit power.
    _________

gen 1: http://s4gru.com/entry/420-whats-in-...-oh-its-magic/

Gen 2: http://s4gru.com/entry/423-the-magic...-months-later/

Gen 3: http://s4gru.com/entry/424-psa-gener...x-has-arrived/

Feedback Score
    The MB uses up to a 20MHz channel, if you closest macro is 3/20 carrier agg you will se a degradation in performance. If you find the PCI on your phone and its between 489 and 503 that tells you you are on the MB. Same for Airaves whatever flavor. If the PCI is below 489 you are on the macro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Also the MB can use 1900 as the UE but the most I have seen is a 15MHz channel size most of the time its 5MHz or 10MHz

Feedback Score
    MB only broadcasts Band 41

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rikkitysplit View Post
    The MB uses up to a 20MHz channel, if you closest macro is 3/20 carrier agg you will se a degradation in performance. If you find the PCI on your phone and its between 489 and 503 that tells you you are on the MB. Same for Airaves whatever flavor. If the PCI is below 489 you are on the macro.

Signal Check Pro shows "MB" on the Provider line...thats also how u know ur on it.

Provider: Sprint B41 MB

No "MB" when its not on the Magic Box.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    is there a way to check the request status online? when i requested one a couple months back, i got an email for the status check, but now it doesn't seem to work. it redirects to just a generic sprint info page
    i realize this post is a ways old now....but i just requested one via the Tech Support Chat on the website. Got it via UPS a few days later.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The side of my apartment complex i am on the north side which is facing a major hwy. I am in the inner unit though, facing South, the internal courtyard.

When i travel directly across the hwy from me, sitting in the Menards store parking lot, there must be a tower very near there as i get full signal and around 80/6 there. So that direction is where this MB is facing towards (North to south) It is actually placed on a book case against the back wall of my living room. Directly behind that is the public hallway and another apartment unit that faces the hwy. Directly in front of the it, about 20 feet away, is my patio door. I tried a few locations including right at windows, it reported worse signal than at my back wall.

When i walk over to the other side of building (south side) my phone reports band 25/26 even outside, and it gets very low speeds. Also, the MB does not seem to reach that far as the phone switches to another tower/band about halfway through the complex.

I bet if i was in an North outward facing unit(like the one directly behind mine), I would get much better signal/speed as it would have line of sight to the Sprint Tower. I did check with that neighbor today....he has tmobile and gets about 90 to 120 down/ 70-90 up on his S8+. he not interested in having my Sprint box sitting in his window...lol.

Regardless, its still a decent speed increase, though it did increase the latency/ping quite a bit, but i doubt that is very noticeable.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is a good move by Sprint. Anything they can do to improve performance is a good move. Nice that it's FREE too.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 3 (with FM Radio), iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    This is a good move by Sprint. Anything they can do to improve performance is a good move. Nice that it's FREE too.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app
    If only AT&T had a LTE Microcell like •T•Mobile, Verizon and Sprint have. I get horrible Band 2 speeds. 20 MHz 1-3 Bars but only 5-15 Down and 20-25 Up. Band 12 10MHz 4-5 Bars is very bad at speeds with <1 MBPS Down and 5> MBPS Up. AT&T does have VoLTE and VoWiFi (which VoWiFi only registers when I have 1 bar of LTE and 3 Bars of UMTS).

Sent from my LG-M150 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    These Magic Boxes would be much more effective if they were placed inside stores, offices, and dense population centers. Placing them inside residential homes seems like a waste since the broadcast range is effectively a medium sized apartment. At home most people would already have WiFi and Sprint 1X for calling. Its places like shopping malls, transit centers, and elevators where Sprint has a penetration problem. How many people are trying to stream Netflix at home on their phone versus the I-95 corridor while in the car? If a carrier doesn't work for you at home, why get another unit to make it work? It's far simpler to switch carriers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by speedingcheetah View Post
    i realize this post is a ways old now....but i just requested one via the Tech Support Chat on the website. Got it via UPS a few days later.
    I eventually got one, but it took a little more effort (wish i had thought to try via chat hah). I made a post about my issues on the s4gru forum and someone PM'd me there, and I gave them some info, and for whatever reason it appeared my location did not qualify... however, I was also given an email address [email protected] and so I contacted them and they sent me one. From what I could understand my address was eligible when I originally made the request, but some time later it got disqualified (probably b/c it is on a fringe area). Once I got it, it took some trial and error, but eventually I found a location that worked well. So before I was getting under 0.5 Mbps, but now it is typically around 5. The closest tower is several miles away, so that isn't too bad of a boost

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Is Magic Box only 4G LTE?

I have a roommate that uses Republic Wireless 2.0 with a Moto G 1st gen phone that uses Sprint 3G network for data...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by speedingcheetah View Post
    Is Magic Box only 4G LTE?

I have a roommate that uses Republic Wireless 2.0 with a Moto G 1st gen phone that uses Sprint 3G network for data...
    They talk to phones only on LTE band 41 and not any other way.
    Last edited by comintel; Yesterday at 06:10 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4