Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Sprint introduces all-wireless 'Magic box' small cell

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gatewaytoheaven View Post
    What is the best way to get the new 2.5ghz magic box? I would like to use it at my work place, where at Sprint reception is fairly poor.

I had one previously, the older generation, but returned it a while back. I don't actually recall how I initially got it, lol
    the ONLY way I know of is via talking to Tech support. I did so, a year or so ago now though, via the website support chat....just complained abut low LTE data speeds and requested a MB.

Feedback Score
    Correct. People have to work with a tech. support rep to evaluate the need and benefit in each individual case.

They are not so stupid as they were originally to just send one out to anyone who asked. All sorts of people were requesting one who did not need one or even know what it was, just because it was free. People with old phones that did not even have band 41 were "ordering" one and then never even using it and leaving it powered off. Sprint had to ask these people to send them back.

So now an individual case has to be made. It is not hard to do so in most cases.

HOWEVER the new model is "out of stock" until late November at the earliest. More exactly, they have not released any into stock yet (except for beta users) because they are still fine tuning the production ROM as they toll out the initial phases of VoLTE and 5G upgrades, because those are all intertwined with Magic Box plans.

Most customers are being told the old model is ALSO out of stock although you do see a rare few who manage to get one.

So I see no point calling for now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    More exactly, they have not released any into stock yet (except for beta users) because they are still fine tuning the production ROM as they toll out the initial phases of VoLTE and 5G upgrades, because those are all intertwined with Magic Box plans.
    Curious, what do you speculate might happen to them if tmobile is approved for the merger? I've read one comment from a tmobile employee saying they call them a not-so-great name. I forget what, but made me think tmobile in general would look down upon them. It makes me wonder if the magic boxes could be retrofit via firmware update to use tmobile bands as well in the future, or if tmobile would scrap them altogether

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    Curious, what do you speculate might happen to them if tmobile is approved for the merger? I've read one comment from a tmobile employee saying they call them a not-so-great name. I forget what, but made me think tmobile in general would look down upon them. It makes me wonder if the magic boxes could be retrofit via firmware update to use tmobile bands as well in the future, or if tmobile would scrap them altogether
    Yeah "tragic boxes" they were called. But who knows if that is really the last word on TMobile's evaluation of them.

The base components are "an Airunity LTE B41 2500 MHz small cell and a LTE UE Relay device called the ninja module whose only job is to establish a data link to a macro eNB LTE 1900 or 2500 MHz signal and then feed a data connection to the Airunity small cell" (quoting S4GRI).

These could be repurposed to some extent, but I think they are fairly specific to the current Sprint architecture.

We could be looking at a fairly lengthy transition where they would still be of some use, at least in some areas.

Beyond that, my guess would be that they would not survive in their current form. For one thing I see serious weaknesses in the way they integrate into the network. Quite occasionally (not all the time) I have to turn mine off because a tower is down and the Magic Box makes a poor choice about what to do. My S8 makes better choices on its own. So I think they need to re-specified/designed anyway.

Mergers and consolidations give management free reign to spend lots of money replacing things so I think they would do so.

In the other hand, the new model is a very nice all purpose small cell with advanced technology and will give valuable experience for future small cells.

Now, if the merger falls though (which is still quite possible) these Boxes might have a longer future as Sprint would most likely merge with or be taken over by someone else (maybe a cable operator or Dish etc.) and Sprint might (or might not) be more in the architectural driver's seat.
    Last edited by comintel; 10-28-2018 at 12:49 AM.

Feedback Score
    Is the new one out yet? Signal in my home is not that good. Typically around -110dbm

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
    Is the new one out yet? Signal in my home is not that good. Typically around -110dbm

Not yet.

Now end of November guesstimate and slipping, in parallel with the VoLTE rollout stages that are prerequisites to releasing it beyond beta test.
    Last edited by comintel; 11-13-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    A colleague of mine informed me that magic boxes were now in stock as he had received his yesterday. I just ordered mine and am told that it will arrive in 5-7 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

These could be repurposed to some extent, but I think they are fairly specific to the current Sprint architecture.

We could be looking at a fairly lengthy transition where they would still be of some use, at least in some areas.

Beyond that, my guess would be that they would not survive in their current form. For one thing I see serious weaknesses in the way they integrate into the network. Quite occasionally (not all the time) I have to turn mine off because a tower is down and the Magic Box makes a poor choice about what to do. My S8 makes better choices on its own. So I think they need to re-specified/designed anyway.

Mergers and consolidations give management free reign to spend lots of money replacing things so I think they would do so.

In the other hand, the new model is a very nice all purpose small cell with advanced technology and will give valuable experience for future small cells.

Now, if the merger falls though (which is still quite possible) these Boxes might have a longer future as Sprint would most likely merge with or be taken over by someone else (maybe a cable operator or Dish etc.) and Sprint might (or might not) be more in the architectural driver's seat.
    I tried to get a Magic Box but the order kept failing -- they finally determined that it's because the 2.5 Ghz. is not contiguous in the area or something similar that kept them from deploying it in my market. Was able to get the hookup for an LTE Airave, and have zero issues...

So I'll be curious what happens to the Airave once/if the merger happens. I assume it would be easier for them to keep an LTE channel open on one of the bands that it can broadcast from and keep them functional -- if it supports VoLTE... at the very least, I fully expect that T-Mo would be sending me one of their LTE CellSpots to replace it when the time comes.

My house is firmly in a 1x800-only Sprint area (2 bars, sometimes a flicker of Band 26 LTE) and a "flashing between 0/1 bar of Band 12" LTE area for T-Mobile (and also AT&T for that matter -- Verizon put a site up on a super high peak overlooking the valley so the signal is reasonable but quite slow)... so regardless, some sort of coverage-enhancing device will be needed... I know there's WiFi calling, but that doesn't help with the battery life, and I usually keep my WiFi off unless I need it so it doesn't glom onto every Comcast/Xfinity hotspot it can get a breath of when I'm in town lol

N

Feedback Score
    What's the prerequisite to get a magic box?

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)

Sprint introduces all-wireless 'Magic box' small cell

I have poor band 41 coverage in what should be a strong area. On band 25, I get 2 mbps on a good day. On band 41, 6 mbps on a bad day and 25 mbps on a good day. I get 41 consistently in only 1 room. Ocassionally, I get band 26 and decent speeds. My iPad appears to be roaming on tmo based on signal strength and speed, but I don’t know how to check.

Last edited by Mrp Alert; 11-19-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Feedback Score

Consult with tech support who will run all required checks and determine if it can be used and will help in your area and situation.

These include regulatory checks and support for MB by the network your local area. Of course these are run partly by computer and the exact full scope of them is not listed anywhere that I have seen. They just tell you the result as a Yes or No and maybe give a reason..

Feedback Score
    Consult with tech support who will run all required checks and determine if it can be used and will help in your area and situation.

These include regulatory checks and support for MB by the network your local area. Of course these are run partly by computer and the exact full scope of them is not listed anywhere that I have seen. They just tell you the result as a Yes or No and maybe give a reason..
    I just entered my address on Sprint's website for mb and it said it's not available in this area.

Feedback Score
    I just entered my address on Sprint's website for mb and it said it's not available in this area.

I think people are reporting they cut back that checker to return "not available" for most/many/all areas.

You have not been able to order them online or by email for a long time anyway.

But some people are getting them now by calling tech support.

Feedback Score
    I think people are reporting they cut back that checker to return "not available" for most/many/all areas.

You have not been able to order them online or by email for a long time anyway.

But some people are getting them now by calling tech support.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)

Sprint introduces all-wireless 'Magic box' small cell

So... Sprint didn’t send me a Magic Box 3. They sent a Magic Box 2 and it’s defective. It never completes initial boot up.

Tech support wasn’t even aware that the new one was launching until I directed them to https://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-a...-magic-box.htm

I will have a replacement Magic Box 2 on Monday and asked for notes to be placed on my account that I had requested a Magic Box 3 and can switch when it becomes available.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast