Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast

Thread: AT&T unlimited iPad plan

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hfallen View Post
    Hey everyone, new here! Interested in this topic and been following this thread. QUESTION: Why switch the sim out of the tablet/iPad and into a hotspot... why not just use the tablet as the hotspot?? Pretty sure iPads can do this, no?? Looking forward to the replies...
    Simply because ATT doesn't allow personal hotspot on the plan, so it isn't enabled on the iPad. I suppose it would work if the iPad is jailbroken so it was turned on anyway.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I doubt many people in this thread even have iDevices; I don't have any.
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hfallen View Post
    Hey everyone, new here! Interested in this topic and been following this thread. QUESTION: Why switch the sim out of the tablet/iPad and into a hotspot... why not just use the tablet as the hotspot?? Pretty sure iPads can do this, no?? Looking forward to the replies...
    I'm in a very rural area where cell towers are a long way apart and the population is low enough that it will probably be a while before more towers are constructed.

A hotspot has two external antenna connectors which the ipad does not.

With the external antennas, I can get a good AT&T signal and stay online most of the time. Without the external antennas, the signal is spotty.

I tried an expensive wilson signal booster for the whole house, but the outside signal isn't that good either -- I'm so many miles from the cell tower and the wilson signal booster seemed to help a little sometimes but introduce more glitches at this particular location. The simple external antennas connected to the hotspot has worked the best for me to date: best reliability and best speeds.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Interesting. I put my SIM (that no longer gets a connection in my Huawei USB stick) into two other devices (including an AT&T- branded (unlocked) Unite)) and can get a connection. Also, I put it into my Huawei stick and just let it sit there, and it would eventually connect, then lose connection again after a few seconds (just like with @bamaonline 's devices).

What I now wonder if the fact that @banaonline and I are both using Huawei devices and can't connect is related to the devices' firmware or radio hardware (and not their manufacturer). One thing to note is we've just recently got that fake AT&T "5Ge" in my area and I'm wondering if it's "close enough" to LTE to confuse the sticks and the problem isn't AT&T blacklisting our IMEIs after all (as if that were the case, we could never get a connection at any time, even for a few seconds).

I have no idea how right any of this is, but it's something to think about, maybe?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Anyone else seen this video yet? Young man does a screen capture. It shows that the iPad plan will go up $5 every month after the beginning $34.99? Important part is about 2:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le2nT4IVwYM&app=desktop

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Makes zero business sense.
    Last edited by veriztd; 08-12-2019 at 04:20 PM. Reason: thread edited to remove irrelevant comment

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    Anyone else seen this video yet? Young man does a screen capture. It shows that the iPad plan will go up $5 every month after the beginning $34.99? Important part is about 2:00 mark.

]
    Mobley plan starts at $10 right now. We can always switch.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
    Mobley plan starts at $10 right now. We can always switch.
    What?? That's the first I've heard of this. A new Mobley line can be had for $10? Or a current line can be adjusted to $10? More info please.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    What?? That's the first I've heard of this. A new Mobley line can be had for $10? Or a current line can be adjusted to $10? More info please.
    Its now called Harman Spark Plan with ATT. There are two plans, $10 and $20. Its unclear the difference between the two. Im Guessing the $20 plan has wifi capabilities on the OBDII adapter vs $10 that can only connect one device via Bluetooth.

fixed the link

att.com/plans/connected-car.html

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Screenshot attached.

Link to larger screenshot; imgur.com/N51gTgn

Attachment 163610

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Its now called Harman Spark Plan with ATT. There are two plans, $10 and $20. Its unclear the difference between the two. Im Guessing the $20 plan has wifi capabilities on the OBDII adapter vs $10 that can only connect one device via Bluetooth.

fixed the link

att.com/plans/connected-car.html
    The Harmon Spark plan is for a Harmon Spark OBD plugin device or for cars that come with a device built in. The Harmon Spark or built in devices cannot be used with the device outside the car. The device is tied to the VIN of the car and communicates with the car to make sure the device is in the subscribed car.

This is not for a Mobley and does not include a SIM you can put in a different hotspot device.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The Harmon Spark plan is for a Harmon Spark OBD plugin device or for cars that come with a device built in. The Harmon Spark or built in devices cannot be used with the device outside the car. The device is tied to the VIN of the car and communicates with the car to make sure the device is in the subscribed car.

This is not for a Mobley and does not include a SIM you can put in a different hotspot device.
    Its not tied to the car, since the VIN is not required to get the Spark plan. It can be used outside the car as well just like Mobley.

P.S.

After talking to ATT CSR, the $10 plan only comes with 10 Gigs and the Unlimited plan is now $30 plus Taxes, fees.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    FYI - I noticed AT&T has a refurbished Nighthawk (MR1100) for $170.
    Last edited by mframe; 08-14-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    FYI - I noticed AT&T has a refurbished Nighthawk for $170.
    If you need a portable on the go hotspot, buy zte velocity 2 from eBay for about $50.

Or build your own that plugs in to USB port of a pc/laptop/ WiFi router for $100, and you will get better performance than Nighthawk.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Its not tied to the car, since the VIN is not required to get the Spark plan. It can be used outside the car as well just like Mobley.
    When I read the fine print it says:

"HARMAN Spark: Mobile App req’d: iOS version 9.0 & higher and Android version 6.0 & higher....

...Device restrictions: For in-car use only. Telematics req’d. AT&T reserves right to terminate service if device is plugged into anything other than a vehicle...."

A web search indicates that there may be some hacks to get it to work outside the car, including moving the SIM to a different hotspot device. It is unknown how much AT&T checks the eligibility of the device the SIM is in.

I hope I am wrong and the Spark will work as well as a Mobley. Though the TOS explicitly prohibits using the Spark plugged into anything other than a vehicle. The Mobley did not have this restriction.

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast