Thread: Best Android Version and HOWTO for upgrading Droid 4 to Custom ROM

Feedback Score

Best Android Version and HOWTO for upgrading Droid 4 to Custom ROM

Hi everyone:

I'm an ex IT technician. I know computer concepts well, but don't understand all smartphone/Android terminology completely.
    I would like to upgrade my Droid 4 (XT894) from its current Jelly Bean 4.1.2 to whatever is the next, most stable custom ROM.

Since LineageOS is fairly new, I assume I should stick with Cyanogen 12 (Maserati)?

I also need a step-by-step HOWTO on doing the upgrade. I could probably take 50 hours and figure out the various steps, but since this is not a PC, and you could brick your phone doing it, I'd rather have plenty of info. beside me when I do the upgrade.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shplad View Post
    Hi everyone:

I'm an ex IT technician. I know computer concepts well, but don't understand all smartphone/Android terminology completely.
    I would like to upgrade my Droid 4 (XT894) from its current Jelly Bean 4.1.2 to whatever is the next, most stable custom ROM.

Since LineageOS is fairly new, I assume I should stick with Cyanogen 12 (Maserati)?

I also need a step-by-step HOWTO on doing the upgrade. I could probably take 50 hours and figure out the various steps, but since this is not a PC, and you could brick your phone doing it, I'd rather have plenty of info. beside me when I do the upgrade.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks
    Unless someone here knows, the best place for that sort of thing is XDA Developers.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Heading over XDA-Developers are getting prepared to be bamboozled by terminology.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Heading over XDA-Developers are getting prepared to be bamboozled by terminology.

It can be daunting, but not much harder than getting a Windows PC to dual boot Linux.

If the Droid 4 is a popular phone that is possible, there will be detailed step-by-step directions. Be sure the directions you follow are for exactly the phone model you have. It's basically unlocking the bootloader then flashing the custom firmware.

One thing they frequently forget to mention is that with a custom ROM you can't get PRL updates from Vz without flashing back to stock ROM first. I am not absolutely certain about this for Vz, but it seems to be the way it works with Sprint phones.

Feedback Score
    bobdevnul:

Thanks. Can you remind me what PRL updates are? I can never remember, for some reason.

Feedback Score
    bobdevnul:

Thanks. Can you remind me what PRL updates are? I can never remember, for some reason.
    Preferred Roaming List

Wikipedia
    "The PRL indicates which bands, sub bands and service provider identifiers will be scanned and in what priority order."

It probably doesn't really matter much. I can't remember the last time I updated the PRL on my Verizon phone.