Page 92 of 93 FirstFirst ... 42 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1384

Thread: Free Sprint Service for 1 year

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately Sprint did not work out for me. After activating over a week ago I started testing at several different spots around the area and found poor to no data connection in way too many places. What was surprising was the locations where the service failed, I live in Gainesville, Fl which is home to the 45k student University of Florida. There is a large commercial area about 2 miles from campus which has nearly every store and restaurant you can think of. I found unusable service in several parts of this area including about 500 ft from the Sprint corporate store. I also found very low levels of service while driving near or on campus but in other parts of campus I found very high levels of service. All in all it was very disappointing as I didn't feel Sprint was a service I could depend on in my area. I reluctantly cancelled the service. BTW cancelling wasn't that easy as I had to make multiple calls to find the correct department.
    Another thing that has to be mentioned was the incredible amount of battery my phone used while connected to Sprint. I could barely make 8 hours on a full charge and this was with minimal use. I honestly don't know what caused that but I have heard that connecting to a weak signal uses more battery but had never experienced this personally. Battery usage while connected to a gsm carrier was close to 50% less than to Sprint. I have a Motorola z2 play unlocked which has bands for all carriers.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    I personally am probably just as happy, at least for my own situation, that they have taken the battery out of the Magic Box now as I have occasions where I would like to move it to another location. The old one weighted a ton.
    Lol. Its heavy enough as it is...thats why i though it has a battery in it. I am curious as to its internal components, but am not about to do a teardown of it. i cant really find any kind of info on it on line as to schematic or internal components specs.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ces1948 View Post
    Unfortunately Sprint did not work out for me. After activating over a week ago I started testing at several different spots around the area and found poor to no data connection in way too many places. What was surprising was the locations where the service failed, I live in Gainesville, Fl which is home to the 45k student University of Florida. There is a large commercial area about 2 miles from campus which has nearly every store and restaurant you can think of. I found unusable service in several parts of this area including about 500 ft from the Sprint corporate store. I also found very low levels of service while driving near or on campus but in other parts of campus I found very high levels of service. All in all it was very disappointing as I didn't feel Sprint was a service I could depend on in my area. I reluctantly cancelled the service. BTW cancelling wasn't that easy as I had to make multiple calls to find the correct department.
    Another thing that has to be mentioned was the incredible amount of battery my phone used while connected to Sprint. I could barely make 8 hours on a full charge and this was with minimal use. I honestly don't know what caused that but I have heard that connecting to a weak signal uses more battery but had never experienced this personally. Battery usage while connected to a gsm carrier was close to 50% less than to Sprint. I have a Motorola z2 play unlocked which has bands for all carriers.
    Yikes. that sucks. I was quite disappointed with service in many locations around me. but it still worked, if just barely. One spot i frequented at the time, got no LTE only 3g. I reported the network issues at dozens of locations i go to via the Sprint app. After a few months, signal and LTE speed have gotten much better. Its still no where near as good as Tmobile. But for $3.50 a month...i cant complain.

But for you....yea.... I would consider those severe issues a deal breaker.

One thing i would like to mention, if u use an unlocked universal phone(like google Pixel) etc, and u switch form another provider, the next OTA update u get that updates the phones OS, will have the proper radio files/firmware for your detected carrier. I came form tmobile, and once the next months security update OTA came to my phone, the radio installed was for CDMA Sprint and the areas that were very poor worked better and overall i saw better signal stability.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    So from another forum board about the Magic box. Nope my model doe snot have a internal battery UPS.
    Also some interesting info:

I guess i have the 544 model
    the box says: P.Code: U544INU41A2DW5GA05SP
    So is this the newest model? is there a gen 3?
    _______Reply

That's technically gen 3. There's the beta unit (540), then the first consumer unit (545 - gen 1), then the second consumer unit (544 - gen 2). The third unit (546) is coming out soon-ish.

The cellular internals (antenna, relay unit, radio, etc) are all the same on the 545, 544, and 546. The 540 has slightly inferior antannas comparatively, and has a lower transmit power.
    _________

gen 1: http://s4gru.com/entry/420-whats-in-...-oh-its-magic/

Gen 2: http://s4gru.com/entry/423-the-magic...-months-later/

Gen 3: http://s4gru.com/entry/424-psa-gener...x-has-arrived/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ces1948 View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately, for most people in most of the US, the most relevant part of "free" with Sprint is "free of a usable signal."
    "Government has three primary functions. It should provide for military defense of the nation. It should enforce contracts between individuals. It should protect citizens from crimes against themselves or their property." - Milton Friedman.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by speedingcheetah View Post
    So from another forum board about the Magic box. Nope my model doe snot have a internal battery UPS........[/url]

http://s4gru.com/entry/423-the-magic...-months-later/

says:
    Upon opening the package, the most immediate and noticeable difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Magic Box is the absence of an external portable battery. This was useful to lug the Magic Box around and test different locations in order to select the best spot for unit placement.

On the surface this may appear to be a way to decrease unit costs. This may be true, but the Gen 2 model contains two CR18650 rechargeable lithium batteries integrated inside of the package for the same purpose. No more using a dongle and a hefty battery pack that could be easily lost!
    Does that apply / not apply to yours?

For sure mine stays on when you unplug it!

P.S. May I suggest moving this to its own thread, either the original Magic Box thread or a new one. Thi affects all Sprint users, not just Free BYOD Offer ones.
    Last edited by comintel; 02-10-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    http://s4gru.com/entry/423-the-magic...-months-later/

says:

Does that apply / not apply to yours?

For sure mine stays on when you unplug it!

P.S. May I suggest moving this to its own thread, either the original Magic Box thread or a new one. Thi affects all Sprint users, not just Free BYOD Offer ones.
    Then u must have the previous model (gen 2)...that has the batteries in it. mine(gen 3) does not is apparently much lighter in weight and shuts off when u unplug it. But it did come with a small usb power bank u use to power it for pre-setup signal testing, then u have to plug it to power outlet to continue setup and for any future use.

And i don't see any official thread here in regards to Magic Box. The only one the Search found is locked.

Feedback Score
    Then u must have the previous model (gen 2)...that has the batteries in it. mine(gen 3) does not is apparently much lighter in weight and shuts off when u unplug it. But it did come with a small usb power bank u use to power it for pre-setup signal testing, then u have to plug it to power outlet to continue setup and for any future use.

And i don't see any official thread here in regards to Magic Box. The only one the Search found is locked.
    Oh ok gotcha you did get gen 3. I imagine and hope I will get it as I am starting up a new account and returned mine and the old one was too heavy.

As to the thread, if you anticipate ongoing discussion, I would suggest this one:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...box-small-cell
    or you could start up another one if you prefer. I would/will see it either way.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I noticed at a certain location near me.... Noticed that the Signal Check Pro app listed B41 with a little 3 next to it. (also seen it with a 2)

Is this the band aggregation thing....where it is using 3 links or whatever....ran speed test said 90/7.

And why is Sprint Upload so low speeds even in their best locations?? come on....

Feedback Score
    I noticed at a certain location near me.... Noticed that the Signal Check Pro app listed B41 with a little 3 next to it. (also seen it with a 2)

Is this the band aggregation thing....where it is using 3 links or whatever....ran speed test said 90/7.

And why is Sprint Upload so low speeds even in their best locations?? come on....

It means third carrier:
    http://www.bluelinepc.com/signalcheck/change-log/

As to upload speed, supposedly they made a decision to limit it for now.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    It means third carrier:
    http://www.bluelinepc.com/signalcheck/change-log/

As to upload speed, supposedly they made a decision to limit it for now.
    How do u get on Beta of Signal Check Pro?

Device(s)
    iP7 QCOM, S8 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Sprint uses a system called TDD on Band 41 which unfortunately has many limits on uplink.
    --Bentley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    Sprint uses a system called TDD on Band 41 which unfortunately has many limits on uplink.
    I do find speeds on band 26 are much more symmetrical (upload speed closer to download).

As a matter of fact I can tell right off just from a Speedtest when I am on Band 26 because of the higher upload speed relative to download speed.

I think they have plans to do Carrier Aggregation between the two (or among the three) bands eventually.

On some phones you can force/limit the bands (eg. S8 through its engineering screen but I would rather not give all the details because it is tricky).
    Last edited by comintel; 02-12-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Feedback Score
    I have this plan with 2 lines. The account was approved for 5 lines. If I want to add a third line, do I have to port another number or can I just add a new line with a used Sprint Galaxy S5? Thanks.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drooper View Post
    I have this plan with 2 lines. The account was approved for 5 lines. If I want to add a third line, do I have to port another number or can I just add a new line with a used Sprint Galaxy S5? Thanks.
    My understanding (at the time I did it) is you have to call telesales and port in specifically requesting the free year promo. The reason for this is that the port-in allows Sprint to say that "standard" new activations don't qualify for the plan.

That may have changed, so you may want to ask telesales.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Page 92 of 93 FirstFirst ... 42 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 LastLast