Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 32 82 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132
Results 1,966 to 1,978 of 1978

Thread: Free Sprint Service for 1 year

Feedback Score

Free Sprint Service for 1 year

Is it it possible to upgrade a handset to a lease and keep the free plan? I think I saw it mentioned earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Is it it possible to upgrade a handset to a lease and keep the free plan?

Yes, it is possible to get a phone upgrade -- after (I believe) you've been on the plan for 120 days. I think most of the plans are past the 120 day point but there may be a few who got in just before they ended it, who aren't at 120 days yet. The one thing to be aware of, if you get a "reduced price" or "free phone" where you get monthly bill credits, if you quit after your free year you'll have to pay the total amount due on the phone -- you'll lose any bill credits that have not been applied to a bill already.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Is it it possible to upgrade a handset to a lease and keep the free plan? I think I saw it mentioned earlier.

You can do upgrades after 120 days but I do not know about to a lease. All upgrades must be done ONLY online in your account or by calling 866-782-8777. You can call and they will tell you what you can do.

You can never upgrade through any retail channel, including Sprint and other stores, or you lose the plan. It says that clearly.

You can do other offers independently on other non-free lines in your account as long as they do not say they are for new customers only.
    Last edited by comintel; 04-21-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Some newer phones should automatically switch to roam on TMobile whenever necessary to preserve LTE. These include S8, S10, iPhone 8 and higher, and some Motos.

Roaming should always be left enabled because it is never charged for. There is now unlimited unmetered free roaming on TMobile on suitable phones.
    You really shouldn't need a phone that new for the free T-Mobile roaming. Any phone with LTE Bands 2/4/5/12 can roam on T-Mobile with a Sprint SIM card.

What Sprint and T-Mobile did was used old Clearwire LTE test network IDs that Sprint had in their PRL. The T-Mobile network simply started broadcasting them as low-priority Network IDs. So a Sprint phone thinks its on the home network still, and this bypassed even the need to do a PRL update in most cases (though it's not a bad idea).
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    You really shouldn't need a phone that new for the free T-Mobile roaming. Any phone with LTE Bands 2/4/5/12 can roam on T-Mobile with a Sprint SIM card.

What Sprint and T-Mobile did was used old Clearwire LTE test network IDs that Sprint had in their PRL. The T-Mobile network simply started broadcasting them as low-priority Network IDs. So a Sprint phone thinks its on the home network still, and this bypassed even the need to do a PRL update in most cases (though it's not a bad idea).
    That is part of it but there seems to be more to it.

People with the right phones are seeing the phones skip Sprint CDMA completely now and go directly to TMobile LTE where a Sprint LTE signal is week. I see this myself on my S8. In places indoors etc where it used to fall to Sprint CDMA, it now always goes to TMobile LTE when needed. I believe other other phones do not do that but will still go to Sprint CDMA.

Device(s)
    Moto G3 (Goodbye W376!)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Freedompop, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QkTreasures View Post
    So I was just checking out MVNO Free Up Mobile & they give you totally free service, 1000 min/text but no Data, it works on the At&t network.

Kinda seems better than FreedomPop as you don't have to deal with there crappy VOIP call/text app & can use the native phone dialer. Plus you can avoid the being scammer by FP.

Sent from my LG-H932 using HoFo mobile app
    I've been using FreeUp for completely free talking and texting for several months now, with no problems whatsoever. (Not relevant to Sprint, but relevant to "Free".)

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    I've been using FreeUp for completely free talking and texting for several months now, with no problems whatsoever. (Not relevant to Sprint, but relevant to "Free".)

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app
    Yep. #FreeIsFree

Sent from my LG-H932 using HoFo mobile app
    To Be The Best Ya Gotta Be Smarter Than The Rest! My Time, Talent, & Treasure! : “Your talent is God’s gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.” Leo Buscaglia : “With God, all things are POSSIBLE.” Mark 10:27

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

People with the right phones are seeing the phones skip Sprint CDMA completely now and go directly to TMobile LTE where a Sprint LTE signal is week. I see this myself on my S8. In places indoors etc where it used to fall to Sprint CDMA, it now always goes to TMobile LTE when needed. I believe other other phones do not do that but will still go to Sprint CDMA.
    Out of curiosity, how can you tell if you are on T-Mobile?

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    Install Cellmapper or put your phone in debug mode and check the Network ID. If it matches Clearwire/Clear, you're on T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score

All I can say is that newer phones do tend to have higher standards on what is an acceptable signal, and will be more likely to chose a T-Mobile signal over a fringe Sprint signal.

Much of this is due to calibration on devices, accepting that extremely bad signals are less likely to be an acceptable experience.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post

I run SignalCheck Pro on Android, which constantly which shows me the band.

When it roams, Band 4 (AWS 1700) is common here followed by Band 2 (1900).

(However SignalCheck Lite is too crippled to be of use, so for a FREE app, LTE Discovery is good).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    All I can say is that newer phones do tend to have higher standards on what is an acceptable signal, and will be more likely to chose a T-Mobile signal over a fringe Sprint signal.

Much of this is due to calibration on devices, accepting that extremely bad signals are less likely to be an acceptable experience.

Well another possibility is that phones that are VoLTE capable are being set to always be on LTE. I understand the routing is set to a different IMS backbone for such phones. Maybe this requires different routing.

Perhaps this does not completely add up either, because Sprint does not currently actually do VoLTE over TMobile yet, and also because the phone usually changes LTE band anyway the moment you do a VoLTE call, presumable switching for the duration of the call to the best band for VoLTE rather than the best band for data generally. Here it will drop to band 26 the moment you initiate a VoLTE call. Probably they have dedicated channels on certain bands to honor the VoLTE call reliability requirements. They may be saving Band 26 as much as possible for this use in areas where its capacity is limited. It is a very complicated situation and we do not have good visibility into it all.
    Last edited by comintel; Today at 12:32 AM.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Well another possibility is that phones that are VoLTE capable are being set to always be on LTE. I understand the routing is set to a different IMS backbone for such phones. Maybe this requires different routing.

Perhaps this does not completely add up either, because Sprint does not currently actually do VoLTE over TMobile yet, and also because the phone usually changes LTE band anyway the moment you do a VoLTE call, presumable switching for the duration of the call to the best band for VoLTE rather than the best band for data generally. Here it will drop to band 26 the moment you initiate a VoLTE call. Probably they have dedicated channels on certain bands to honor the VoLTE call reliability requirements. They may be saving Band 26 as much as possible for this use in areas where its capacity is limited. It is a very complicated situation and we do not have good visibility into it all.
    T-Mobile has voraciously said the roaming deal does not extend to VoLTE. Every time I've asked. Edit: John even said so when asked on an investor call. In theory Sprint CDMA will co-exist with the roaming deal should the merger fail. So if a call is placed while on T-Mobile LTE, you would be booted off the network and onto CDMA.

I don't know how that will work when Sprint stops shipping CDMA however. I think at some point T-Mobile will have to let VoLTE on.

But no, I don't think that has anything to do with how the phone decides to roam on T-Mobile or not.

Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 32 82 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132