Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Verizon is kicking Unlimited LRA Users

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB (Qualcomm)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Verizon is kicking Unlimited LRA Users

Verizon is kicking excessive users off their service who use more than half of their usage in LTE in Rural America areas. As I have brought up before, Verizon has no way to throttle back users in these areas so users are taking full advantage of that. Several people have been using LTE as home broadband. I tethered 12+ GB in a single day with no throttle. Still pulling 100+ on band 4 areas.

There have been 5 people that I know of for certain who have received the calls. They’re calling those with billing addresses outside of their coverage areas on unlimited and agreeing to pay off their phones if they will port out, otherwise they will discontinue the service. Here is a status for a disgruntled customer. I have yet to receive the call, but with my 50+ GB of usage with 7 days of my cycle left, I am expecting it any day. I thought this was the point of LTE in Rural America. . Local Carrier is Appalachian Wireless.

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1497726666.446349.jpg
Views: 3849
Size:  86.0 KB
    Current Device: Silver 256 GB iPhone X
    Carrier: AT&T

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Another report confirmed. Anyone else?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    you're the reason they are doing this

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GVLakers View Post
    you're the reason they are doing this
    1st, I don’t use LTE as home internet.

2nd, I was just testing it to see if it took away from my 10 GB monthly limit.

3rd, they’ve cut off people for far less.

Not my fault they didn’t think this part through.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't understand the point of LTEiRA if you apparently can't use it. I thought the whole point was it was essentially native service hosted by another carrier. And lots of people with actual Verizon service lived in these areas and never cared and now all the sudden they're considering it roaming, and kicking people off.
    I also don't understand why they can't implement deprioritization somehow for their users in these areas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    I don't understand the point of LTEiRA if you apparently can't use it. I thought the whole point was it was essentially native service hosted by another carrier. And lots of people with actual Verizon service lived in these areas and never cared and now all the sudden they're considering it roaming, and kicking people off.
    I also don't understand why they can't implement deprioritization somehow for their users in these areas.
    They can't because it's not their towers. 2 they pay a **** load to allow you to roam. 3 probably be a extra fee to pay these to deprioritize

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    It's Verizon's spectrum that they own though. That's the whole point of LTEIRA is that it's treated as native coverage because the other carriers are using Verizon's spectrum.

Verizon can absolutely find a way to throttle or prioritize customers on these networks. This is just an excuse to kick more people off plans for using them how they're advertised. A classic BS Verizon move.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    It's Verizon's spectrum that they own though. That's the whole point of LTEIRA is that it's treated as native coverage because the other carriers are using Verizon's spectrum.

Verizon can absolutely find a way to throttle or prioritize customers on these networks. This is just an excuse to kick more people off plans for using them how they're advertised. A classic BS Verizon move.
    Yeah it just doesn't make any sense to me. They offer UDP and then start kicking people off it. Idk why they care so much about a handful of users likely on uncongested cells in more remote places. They may as well start calling LTEiRA domestic roaming now and change the alpha to "extended".

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Verizon never advertised unlimited data to be used as a residential broadband service. It's an abuse. If you're out of contract then either you or Verizon can cancel any time. That's all they're doing, so I disagree that it's a "classic BS Verizon move." People are always unhappy when they can't get what they want for what THEY want to pay. Personally I am happy that the data hogs are being jettisoned. They congest things for everyone else.
    ---
    Cellular One (AT&T), Sprint, now Verizon.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mreg45 View Post
    Verizon never advertised unlimited data to be used as a residential broadband service. It's an abuse. If you're out of contract then either you or Verizon can cancel any time. That's all they're doing, so I disagree that it's a "classic BS Verizon move." People are always unhappy when they can't get what they want for what THEY want to pay. Personally I am happy that the data hogs are being jettisoned. They congest things for everyone else.
    It's not necessarily that, this comes back to the limits being arbitrary and nobody actually knowing what they are. Whose to say they won't boot someone using 50 GB's a month on their phone in an LTEiRA area? If the claim of having to use more than 50% of data natively is true, then one could potentially be booted for using 10 gigs every month purely on an LRA partner.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mreg45 View Post
    A few of these aren’t using it as home internet, some have been kicked for just phone usage. They can’t differentiate between tethering and phone usage, as is obviously by my usage on myVerizon.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

According to my contacts at the local carrier, they have no way to controlling my speed through their network. They attempted to renegotiate the rates and the local carrier agreed as of 2018, so they’re trying to get everyone off as soon as they can, is what I was told by an extremely reputable source.

But we are being told to get off and they will pay our phones off.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    It's not necessarily that, this comes back to the limits being arbitrary and nobody actually knowing what they are. Whose to say they won't boot someone using 50 GB's a month on their phone in an LTEiRA area? If the claim of having to use more than 50% of data natively is true, then one could potentially be booted for using 10 gigs every month purely on an LRA partner.
    But they don't HAVE to boot you. In an out-of-contract situation, the customer has no cards to play, especially if Verizon feels like the customer is a losing proposition. If you're not using enough data to be that losing proposition, they don't have to boot you even if under their policy they could.

Feedback Score
    It makes no sense to me either. It is Verizon's spectrum and often Verizon sourced gear. I was under the impression that it was a fully reciprocal data usage agreement, similar to peering points at a data center.

The LTEiRA partners would generally have MUCH more to lose by not having Big Red's nationwide footprint to advertise as native, non-roaming coverage.

I live 25 minutes from an LTEiRA partner (Carolina West Wireless) but have never used much data - maybe a two gigs in a day. I will ask around and see if any of the peeps there have had any issues.

Sent from my LGUS992 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justinkk2005 View Post
    A few of these aren’t using it as home internet, some have been kicked for just phone usage. They can’t differentiate between tethering and phone usage, as is obviously by my usage on myVerizon.
    Please,this is a silly statement. first can people use a phone for home internet absolutely, second you, by your first post haven't been affected so this is all hearsay without real details. Your comment about Verizon not thinking this through, well seems they have now and are fixing it. Problem solved, nice try with comment "some have been kicked off just for using their phone".
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast