Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Verizon is kicking Unlimited LRA Users

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    What I pointed out is there is no such data cap on the unlimited plan. You just made that up. It's unlimited, and using 50 gb per month is not automatic grounds to terminate on the unlimited plan.
    It is unlimited data and normal speed until one reaches the 22 GB level, then they have the option to throttle, reduce your speed, or push your data requests to the back of the line. I would call that a cap. It is a cap beyond which bad things happen to make your experience less than optimal. T-Mobile does it at 30 GB, other carriers do it at various levels. I will agree that there in reality is no scarcity of data, the carriers have created that out of whole cloth when they decided to limit speeds and access at a certain point, in this case 22 GB.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I agree 100% and have already stated so. I am just disputing what ggore and i0wnj00 have stated that using the Unlimited Plan on roaming somehow violates the terms of the plan. It does not.
    No, of course it does not violate the terms of the plan, because Verizon does not treat usage in LTEiRA partner territory as "roaming". They treat it same-as-native and always have. Now some of the local partners may have a problem with someone using 55 GB in a month's time. If those customers get upset when they are throttled after using 22 GB, but , there's nothing they can do about it because of the clearly stated 22 GB level at which de-prioritization may occur.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    That's correct in general, usage of more than 50 GB/month isn't automatic grounds to terminate a user with an unlimited data plan provided that the usage is on-network. At most, this decision will be on a case by case basis for on-network use.

Off-network/roaming usage is a different story because wireless carriers have to pay for usage on behalf when their customers use a significant amount of data. Using a significant amount of data off-network/roaming is more likely to have the wireless carrier to ask the customer to leave the service, this I know for sure.
    Does Verizon pay the partner systems for usage of the local system for data? I don't use the term "roaming fee" because Verizon doesn't treat it as roaming, but do they pay their program partners? Verizon sets standards for backhaul connection capability in the program contract, but I have never read anything anywhere that says Verizon pays the locals a fee. By the same token, would a local LTEiRA partner have to pay Verizon a fee to use Verizon's data when their customers wander into Verizon territory? I'm not disputing your statement, just asking because I don't know. It seems to me that there would not be a fee for either party in an arrangement like this, as it is not anything similar to what a normal roaming agreement would be between two carriers, that comes with restrictions and limits that may differ for either signee.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    It is unlimited data and normal speed until one reaches the 22 GB level, then they have the option to throttle, reduce your speed, or push your data requests to the back of the line. I would call that a cap. It is a cap beyond which bad things happen to make your experience less than optimal. T-Mobile does it at 30 GB, other carriers do it at various levels. I will agree that there in reality is no scarcity of data, the carriers have created that out of whole cloth when they decided to limit speeds and access at a certain point, in this case 22 GB.
    It’s still unlimited. I think you’re confusing a cap, which is a hard stop, and a threshold which isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8 / Netgear AC815S
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Please show me where Verizon said anything about not being able to roam when they sold the plan. Here is the FAQ's for the New Unlimited Plan that have been available since they rolled out the plan. They discuss all the conditions of the plan, even International usage. There is no mention of roaming limitations. https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...nlimited-faqs/

If Verizon wants to change the Terms of Service after the fact, they definitely have that right. But, they have not. Only you and ggore have, and you two are not parties to my contract with Verizon.
    I'm not going to show you anything because I actually agreed with your pervious statement, exactly why I acknowledged your statement in an affirmative manner. I wasn't trying to disprove anything you said, so if you thought I was then you either didn't understand my intent or you simply made an assumption. If you want to keep disputing what my intent was, then you can do that with yourself because I don't have time for this.
    Last edited by i0wnj00; 06-27-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    its not unheard of for companies to "fire" customers for using too many resources. most terms/agreements allow companies to sever for any reason they want.
    The carriers prob love me right now. I'm a very low user majority of the time

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    I'm not going to show you anything because I actually agreed with your pervious statement, exactly why I acknowledged your statement in an affirmative manner. I wasn't trying to disprove anything you said, so if you thought I was then you either didn't understand my intent or you simply made an assumption. If you want to keep disputing what my intent was, then you can do that with yourself because I don't have time for this.
    My apologies. I misunderstood your position.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shoehorn View Post
    It’s still unlimited. I think you’re confusing a cap, which is a hard stop, and a threshold which isn’t.

I realize the difference, and in the case of these "thresholds", they act like a cap because they can turn a normally great customer experience into a horrible, and in extreme cases, an unusable experience that might as well be a cap because data access is limited or shut down entirely due to congestion on a particular site. If someone is the only person using data on a particular site and they zoom right past the threshold level, they might not notice a thing and use hundreds of gigabytes of data, whereas someone in an urban setting attempting to use a site along with hundreds of other customers, might see their data throttled to an unusable level should they abuse their service by going over that 22 GB threshold level.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB (Qualcomm)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Current Device: Silver 256 GB iPhone X
    Carrier: AT&T

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justinkk2005 View Post
    So, in essence, Verizon's intention with these moves is protecting their partners' business. Verizon has no system in the areas where the LTEiRA partners operate, therefore, according to Verizon's company policy, people who live there cannot sign up for Verizon service. Local people must sign up for the LTEiRA partner company's service. Likewise, I would imagine that someone who lives outside an LTEiRA partner's service area would not be allowed to sign up for that partner's service. This sounds reasonable. This protects the local company and their investment from having to provide service to someone that they receive no revenue from. This also protects the local company if a user is "abusing" data usage in either their or Verizon's opinion.

This all goes back to the inception of the LTEiRA program. Verizon would not allow people living in those areas to sign up for service since Verizon had no system there, so evidently some people have been doing that by using fake addresses or some other means to get around this restriction.

We still do not know if Verizon actually pays their local LTEiRA partners for use of their system by Verizon customers, or vice versa either.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB (Qualcomm)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    So, in essence, Verizon's intention with these moves is protecting their partners' business. Verizon has no system in the areas where the LTEiRA partners operate, therefore, according to Verizon's company policy, people who live there cannot sign up for Verizon service. Local people must sign up for the LTEiRA partner company's service. Likewise, I would imagine that someone who lives outside an LTEiRA partner's service area would not be allowed to sign up for that partner's service. This sounds reasonable. This protects the local company and their investment from having to provide service to someone that they receive no revenue from. This also protects the local company if a user is "abusing" data usage in either their or Verizon's opinion.

This all goes back to the inception of the LTEiRA program. Verizon would not allow people living in those areas to sign up for service since Verizon had no system there, so evidently some people have been doing that by using fake addresses or some other means to get around this restriction.

We still do not know if Verizon actually pays their local LTEiRA partners for use of their system by Verizon customers, or vice versa either.
    I can confirm, with 100% confidence, that Verizon IS paying these local carriers for roaming. Verizon actually renegotiated the rates for next year. I have several friends who work for this local carrier. The reason Verizon is doing this is not to protect the local carrier, it is because they’re paying out more than they’re charging in roaming fees to the local carrier.

I signed up for Verizon service using an address in an LTEiRA area. It’s also my “service address”. The only exception was that I could not have a local number and had to use one from Verizon’s native area north of me, Ashland, KY.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2XL, iPhone X, iPad Pro, Samsung S9, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Any more info on what's going on here? I live in a LTEiRA area (Chat Mobility) and am on the unlimited plan. My usage across all lines is usually around 35-40 GB. Lots of people in this area are on Verizon. I haven't heard of any reports of anybody getting kicked off yet..

I travel a lot so some of my usage is on Verizon's native network. I don't know what I'd do if Verizon kicked me off because, frankly, the local carriers plans and phones suck. They don't accept BYOD either. They also have no VoLTE or wifi calling.

Feedback Score
    Hopefully, members of this forum can provide clarity about this mess.

Here is the link to a self-congratulatory press release where, on MAY/15/2015, VZW trumpets the [I]5 year success[I] of the program: http://www.verizon.com/about/news/vz...ural-customers

From MAY/15/2015 until 3 weeks ago we hear nary a peep out of VZW about any troubles in the LTEiRA program. Now, VZW will buy your phone if you leave, which you might be able to sell on SWAPPA, because most of the carriers don't allow BYOD.

1) Is there anyone that believes that VZW broke-even or lost money on this program, for the 7 seven years that they provided it?
    2) If your answer to 1 is yes, what is you reasoning?
    3) What has changed in the last couple of months to compel VZW to make this crappy decision?

I appreciate all insight.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmule View Post
    Hopefully, members of this forum can provide clarity about this mess.

Here is the link to a self-congratulatory press release where, on MAY/15/2015, VZW trumpets the [I]5 year success[I] of the program: http://www.verizon.com/about/news/vz...ural-customers

From MAY/15/2015 until 3 weeks ago we hear nary a peep out of VZW about any troubles in the LTEiRA program. Now, VZW will buy your phone if you leave, which you might be able to sell on SWAPPA, because most of the carriers don't allow BYOD.

1) Is there anyone that believes that VZW broke-even or lost money on this program, for the 7 seven years that they provided it?
    2) If your answer to 1 is yes, what is you reasoning?
    3) What has changed in the last couple of months to compel VZW to make this crappy decision?

I appreciate all insight.
    I think the biggest benefit to Verizon of the LTE in Rural America program was that they didn't have to spend a dime to get coverage for their customers in places where they had no intention of ever building a system, places that make up a pretty good-sized chunk of the US. It enabled them to brag that they had, and still have, the largest network of any carrier, the largest amount of territory where their customers can use their phones. It was a big boon for Verizon, which makes this development, if it indeed is true, very interesting an troubling. And by the same token, the program enabled these small carriers' customers to have "native" access to the largest network in the country at the time.

I remember reading HoFo when this program was announced, all the major users predicted that Verizon was using the program as a nefarious means to eventually gobble up each and every one of these smaller carriers. But, here we are, years into the program, and they haven't bought a single one, they are all still independent companies. This says a lot as to the success of the program.

I perfectly understand if they want to punish people for abusing their data allowances, whether they are on native Verizon or on a partner's system. It really makes no difference. There is no real cap on a Verizon Unlimited plan, but after that defined level, they clearly state that they have the option of throttling a customer's use rate if there is congestion on their network. This is a standard practice among all the carriers who have these new unlimited plans. It's unlimited, but not really, and I don't like that at all. Verizon has an obligation to all their customers that their user experience will be good, and the same no matter where they are, so they do have that right to manage their network to assure that experience.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2XL, iPhone X, iPad Pro, Samsung S9, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Are all the reports of people getting kicked off only in Appalachian Wireless?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast