Virgin Mobile Canada
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Post An Ubuntu Phone Post Mortem

Name:  ubuntu-phone.png
Views: 230
Size:  334.8 KB

Taking a break from the OnePlus hype, here's something completely different: a post mortem by a developer for Ubuntu Phone listing their reasons for why that platform failed. Of course you could argue that it was doomed from the start; if BlackBerry and Windows Phone couldn't compete against Android and iOS, what chance could a smartphone version of Ubuntu possibly have?

It turns out that Canonical, Inc. only ever wanted 1% of the mobile market, and obviously failed to even capture that. Here are some explanations:

1. It didn’t target a profitable niche.

It started with the promise of a super-phone but the reality ended up being a couple of cheap handsets and tablets from a Spanish OEM. Pretty hard for Linux nerds to get excited about that.

2. Bad user experience and skewed priorities.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: nobody really cares about plugging their smartphone into a desktop monitor and keyboard.

3. The devices were too hard to get.

I can attest to this. I once inquired about Ubuntu Phone at Sincere House, the mall in Hong Kong devoted entirely to mobile phones. No one there had the slightest idea what I was talking about.

4. Focusing on irrelevant tech.

See #2 above.

5. Life as an app developer was too hard.

Ubuntu Phone had its own SDK, with no abilities to cross-compile from Android, iOS, Windows, even X11. Oh, and apparently it also broke frequently when updated, sometimes for weeks on end.

If you're a desktop Linux user like myself, or just want some dirt on the smartphone OS that never was, you can read the full story below.

Source: LIEBERBIBER
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just sad. I really wanted an Ubuntu Edge, but alas, it was vaporware. The BQ and Meizu were not available in America and even if you got it, it was only 3g at best and that was not acceptable. To have a device that would just integrate with my Ubuntu desktop (not replace) would have been great. But too bad it never happened.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Motion
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    With no Ubuntu to turn to as an alternative has anyone looked at Sailfish 3? Apparently they have a version for Sony's current range of Xperia devices but does anyone know if there's a phone available for the NA market that comes with the OS installed or is it possible to load it on an existing Android other than Xperia?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have (as a part of my vast collection) a Firefox phone.
    Oh was that an awful mess.

The Ubuntu phone at least looked like someone tried.

Sad that I am such a big fan of Windows phone. Apps are languishing and even going away for Windows phone.
    I really liked BlackBerry too.
    I even have a BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB tablet but sadly nothing is really being done with that platform.

Ahhhhh.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's all about the apps--no apps, no sales. That's what did in Windows phones, even though they have a brilliant interface and good performance. Great cameras too. Unfortunately, if you don't have Snapchat and every banking app people don't want your phone, period. Think of it this way. If you are living in France you will want to speak French.