Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Launches Fixed Wireless Internet in Rural and Underserved Areas in 8 More States

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T Launches Fixed Wireless Internet in Rural and Underserved Areas in 8 More States

Available to Over 70,000 Locations Across 9 States

AT&T* Fixed Wireless Internet1*for rural and underserved locations is now available in 8 new states. These are in addition to the initial launch that took place in Georgia in April. More than 70,000 locations can now access Fixed Wireless Internet in underserved or unserved areas across these 9 states. This is part of our FCC Connect America Fund commitment. In it, we plan to serve over 400,000 locations by the end of 2017 and over 1.1 million locations by 2020.

New states where service launched today:

AlabamaFloridaKentuckyMississippiNorth CarolinaSouth CarolinaTennesseeLouisiana

“We’re committed to connect hard-to-reach locations to the internet. This changes lives and creates economic growth for these areas,” said Cheryl Choy, vice president, wired voice and internet products at AT&T. “We’re excited to bring this service to even more underserved locations.”

“The strength of local economies relies on innovation and investment. AT&T expanding internet access in our rural and underserved communities opens up countless opportunities,” said Betsy Huber, president of the National Grange.

We plan to launch in 18 states overall later this year. The additional states are Arkansas, California, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Ohio, Texas and Wisconsin.

Our Fixed Wireless Internet service delivers a home internet connection with download speeds of at least 10Mbps. The connection comes from a wireless tower to a fixed antenna on customers’ homes or businesses.*This is an efficient way to deliver high-quality, high-speed internet to customers living in rural and underserved areas.

http://about.att.com/story/fixed_wireless_8_states.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    This is not a bad deal. Especially, if there are no other alternatives.
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Feedback Score
    with AT&T, 1 zipcode could qualify in the entire state, and they call it "qualified".

I tried about 20 zip codes all over TN, and none "qualified".

So much for that.

Unfortunately, this requires a specific retrofit to the tower to have a specific antenna per tower to communicate with the wireless antenna at the customer's location.. they don't want these devices on the regular LTE antennas that phones, tablets and hotspots work off.

Feedback Score
    Same here, my mom and brothers that lives in Alabama all are not eligible. Thumbs up for AT&T getting that cool grant money for delivering to 1 house in each state.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Eh, big woo, just another service they can never launch here in Oklahoma, along with VoLTE, because so many of their cell sites are still stuck on "4G"/HSPA, either because they were just upgraded to that because of the GSM shutdown last year or because they have never been upgraded to LTE in the first place. Those sites that were upgraded to HSPA in the GSM shutdown had been left to rot with ancient 2G/EDGE even though AT&T had launched 3G elsewhere in the country way back in 2006. Why they weren't upgraded fully to LTE is beyond me, especially when every other carrier available in those locations probably has had LTE service for years.

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    How much per month ?

Feedback Score
    The problem with this, if it's not going to use existing cell tower antenna infrastructure, then it's going to be fairly useless.

Households will get stuck into "your address is not served by this" purgatory just like AT&T's DSL footprint.

I thought the point of this "Wireless Internet Vision" was so they wouldn't have to deploy fiber and/or upgraded copper to rural areas. Instead they could use backhaul to a cell tower and service many households from that tower.

If they must upgrade the towers, then they need to get their act together and do it. AT&T has landline areas that never qualified for DSL, and copper lines are in such a disarray that 14.4kbps on a dialup connection was the best you could do. If they are going to slow *** it around with tower upgrades like they did with landline footprint, then this service is of no good.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    If this is the same thing as the fixed wireless service that Pioneer Cellular offers here, they are using their regular LTE signal and provide the customer with an modem/wireless router that receives that LTE signal and authorizes using a SIM card in the modem/router. I have several friends in the country who use the service and are quite happy with it. It is available anywhere Pioneer has a cellphone signal and has replaced their MyFi 3G-based service. Pioneer is a land-line telco and has offered DSL service for years, but since they now offer this new service over their entire service area, they have been decommissioning and wrecking out their DSL equipment everywhere, moving those customers to this new LTE fixed wireless service.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    If this is the same thing as the fixed wireless service that Pioneer Cellular offers here, they are using their regular LTE signal and provide the customer with an modem/wireless router that receives that LTE signal and authorizes using a SIM card in the modem/router. I have several friends in the country who use the service and are quite happy with it. It is available anywhere Pioneer has a cellphone signal and has replaced their MyFi 3G-based service. Pioneer is a land-line telco and has offered DSL service for years, but since they now offer this new service over their entire service area, they have been decommissioning and wrecking out their DSL equipment everywhere, moving those customers to this new LTE fixed wireless service.
    They are actually doing it like UVERSE installs. A powered outdoor antenna will be placed, and then an ethernet cable will be run to the users RG which is the same PACE modem they are using for UVERSE internet customers. It's also providing a minimum of 10/1 regardless of congestion unlike the AT&T WHP system. It's better than what the customers are getting in those areas now LOL.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This is a land-based service, not a cellular-based topic. Thread moved.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    I believe AT&T is disingenuous with this program.

IMJS.

Feedback Score
    Still runs off a cell tower . . .

Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    This is a land-based service, not a cellular-based topic. Thread moved.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    Are you sure this is available over Pioneer’s entire network? The web site says it only covers cashion and deer creek area. Their DSL is awful, would love an alternative.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    How much per month ?
    $60. My cabin's zip code is in a qualifying area, but there is no power running into it. The plan doesn't included telephone.

Feedback Score
    I have called about this service about a million times! My zip code is serviceable, but not my address yet. The reps have told me so many different things- service will definitely be available by the end of 2017, service ticket is in already for my tower, grid shows it is almost to my address... Today, the rep told me my tower is ready for it, but they would have to send my address in to the FCC to get approval to set me up. It would be nice to just get a straight, honest answer about this service before I jump on the new Viasat 2 plans in the next few weeks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast