Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: VoLTE working for some on other TracFone MVNOs

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    I've got VoLTE on TracFone/Verizon!

Today I activated a Total Wireless iPhone SE on TracFone [...]
    Thanks so much for posting this. I'm buying a Total Wireless iPhone SE refurb from Walmart and was planning to swap my BYOP SIM from my 5s, but it looks like if I did that the phone would be 1.) forever locked to TF and 2.) Have no VoLTE. So I will use the SIM that comes with it and transfer everything over to that new SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C/dog View Post
    Thanks so much for posting this. I'm buying a Total Wireless iPhone SE refurb from Walmart and was planning to swap my BYOP SIM from my 5s, but it looks like if I did that the phone would be 1.) forever locked to TF and 2.) Have no VoLTE. So I will use the SIM that comes with it and transfer everything over to that new SIM.
    Wow, you're still trying to convince yourself..

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Wow, you're still trying to convince yourself..
    From the same post I referenced: "if you activate it as a BYOP phone instead of a TracFone phone, you'll never be able to unlock it. If you activate it as a TracFone phone, you should be able to unlock it after 1 year."

Has this changed since February, or is the original post wrong?

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    OK, I guess I didn't need to reply to your other post.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    OK, I guess I didn't need to reply to your other post.
    Thanks, again. I'm still surprised by what TF is doing with the "I have a TracFone Phone" option. I would think they would either approve or reject MEID. But when they say ""We noticed that you are trying to switch to TracFone""Please click CONTINUE to switch your brand", seems like they KNOW it is a phone from another branch of their mvno family and are welcoming it into their system. ...just surprising to me based on the walls they've tried to put up between their own brands.

Feedback Score
    Update to my post above: I received the TW iPhone SE. When I go to activate by selecting "I have a TracFone Phone", the response is no longer "we noticed you are trying to switch to tracfone". It's now "Would you like to keep your current phone number?", which sounds fine, except when I choose 'yes' the next screen is red text "For further assistance, please contact our Customer Care Center at 1-800-867-7183." and the process ends.

EDIT: One interesting thing: In my TF account if I choose 'add device' and type in the SIM# of the TW iphone SE, the IMEI pops up. So they're already linked. This must be because it's a refurbished phone; I assume if it were new there's no way the SIM could already be associated with the IMEI. I think it's time to return the phone.
    Last edited by C/dog; 04-04-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Update to my post above: I received the TW iPhone SE. When I go to activate by selecting "I have a TracFone Phone", the response is no longer "we noticed you are trying to switch to tracfone". It's now "Would you like to keep your current phone number?", which sounds fine, except when I choose 'yes' the next screen is red text "For further assistance, please contact our Customer Care Center at 1-800-867-7183." and the process ends.

EDIT: One interesting thing: In my TF account if I choose 'add device' and type in the SIM# of the TW iphone SE, the IMEI pops up. So they're already linked. This must be because it's a refurbished phone; I assume if it were new there's no way the SIM could already be associated with the IMEI. I think it's time to return the phone.
    I purchased my TW iPhone SE from Target on Black Friday and there was a concern when I purchased it that the IMEI was not showing on the receipt. I got it anyway.

When I entered the IMEI to check it for activation on the TracFone website several times in Nov/Dec, it said "please contact our Customer Care Center". When I checked in mid January, it said "we noticed you are trying to switch to tracfone". That's when I did the transfer and all worked fine.

Also, it's normal for the SIM # (ICCID) to be associated with the IMEI for these TF branded iPhones. I've activated several including one refurbished and they were all that way.

You could try the activation using chat and see what they say. That's what I was going to do until the activation link changed to say "we noticed you are trying to switch to tracfone".

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I tried the chat option and they were very helpful but could not do it. They got many errors and submitted a ticket to "IT TOSS". I told them I'd just return the phone but they said they'd give it 24 hours. Maybe I'll get a new 6s instead...$299 on TF site

It's pretty clear there's something wrong with this phone; here are the results from trying to activate:

With TW itself: "There are no devices in our system that match the information you provided."
    With ST: "We do not offer coverage in the Zip Code you provided." [no zipcode had been provided]
    With TF: "For further assistance, please contact our Customer Care Center at 1-800-867-7183."

Other than that, I love the iPhone SE!
    Last edited by C/dog; 04-05-2018 at 06:01 PM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just transferred service from an Ultimate 2 to an iPhone 7 for my gf's sister, both on Verizon. The new BYOP SIM shows TFW instead of Verizon and service didn't transfer like I expected it to, so I chatted with them. They got it pushed through, balance and expiration date is perfect -- and to my surprise, VoLTE and visual voicemail is working! I didn't use my real iPhone IMEI to activate my own BYOP service on my iPhone so I don't have either feature. I'm going to see if an IMEI update will enable that (I like seeing Verizon instead of TFW) and if not, I'll just activate a "new" BYOP with my real IMEI and a new SIM.
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 11 eSIM
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 11 dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone XS [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10) + iPad Mini 4 w/ T-Mobile LTE

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just updated my TracFone and my gf's TracFone to the real iPhone IMEIs with the new SIM and got VoLTE working along with visual voicemail. We decided not to try having the old SIM updated with the new IMEI just because well.. you know how TracFone goes. We have both features on our main phones so while not super important for our TracFones, it's nice to have! Verified data works while on a call and visual voicemail as well. Woo!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1528639243.314345.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  141.8 KB

It’s weird not seeing the MVNO speed cap of 5Mb/down. I wasted 150MB doing the speed test, but I just wanted to see what speeds looked like. Pretty happy!

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    How do you know if you are using VoLTE?

I have a Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro and it has a "VoLTE calls" setting option under Mobile Networks that I can switch on or off.
    It states under it: Turn on enhanced communication using 4G data:

Name:  newer.png
Views: 219
Size:  19.9 KB

If I turn VoLTE calls "on" like above, turn off Wifi and turn on Data, the LTE symbol remains showing when I make calls. Does this means VoLTE is working? If I turn VoLTE calls "off", then LTE goes away when I make a call. Here I am calling VM using VoLTE:

Name:  new2.png
Views: 214
Size:  16.4 KB
    Last edited by tomseys; 06-10-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I took the phone outside and put it through some calls and no matter if I'm making or receiving calls, I never lose the LTE signal/symbol with VoLTE calls set to "on". And I can do things that require data/internet while on the call. So I guess I do have Voice over LTE on the Luna Pro. The calls also sound very clear though the call quality on this phone is very good generally.

The Verizon internet with VoLTE "on" seems pretty smokin' as well - at least as good as my WIFI.
    This Speed Test reading was taken during a call and with a browser open:

Name:  new.png
Views: 237
Size:  20.7 KB

Added: I just tried making a call with data/on and wifi/off and with VoLTE/off and I could make the call but could not use data. I got a pop up saying I could not use the data, email, or internet while on the call. I've never even noticed that before. I guess I don't use data much and usually keep it on wifi so I've never noticed this or at least paid attention to it.

If I enable VoLTE "on" (with WIFI/off), as stated before, then no pop up, data works (during calls) or I should say calls work over 4G LTE data and I can do anything. I'll probably keep it off since I normally like to minimize data use.
    Last edited by tomseys; 06-10-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    @lappers:

Any calls will be deducted from your voice minutes bucket, regardless of the method used, so you don't have to worry about affecting your data use.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    @lappers:

Any calls will be deducted from your voice minutes bucket, regardless of the method used, so you don't have to worry about affecting your data use.
    I'm thinking that in order to use VoLTE I'll have to turn data on and it is in the data being "on" that it may be used by various processes on the phone. Not app updates since i have that set to wifi only but maybe background google stuff and I'd rather it just be off. Oftentimes I just need phone functionality and no data. If I have data on and I get or make a call, I can wait for it to be over to use data. I'm not a heavy smartphone/phone user in any case. I like keeping the data off.

Though I guess I could just keep Volte on. I don't know. But good to know anyway. Thanks whacker.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast