Thread: Tablets Never Had a Chance

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Post Tablets Never Had a Chance

Name:  smartphones-vs-tablets.png
Views: 228
Size:  42.2 KB

This chart says it all, really. And according to Forrester Research (shared by Recode), the world's already-meager market share of tablets has actually started to decline. Why? Phablets, probably...

There was a time when, for me, a 7 inch tablet was a great companion to a 5 inch phone with a small-ish battery—indeed, a pair of Nexus 5s and 7s were essential travel gear for the girlfriend and I in 2013 and 2014. But in the years since bigger phone batteries and screens have seen our tablets stay at home. I still use one around the house but it's definitely a luxury, and not something I plan on upgrading anytime soon.

Forrester's research asserts that the (relative) popularity of tablets in developed markets is only because phone screens, in aggregate, are still on the small side here. That's expected to change, though, as larger screens become the norm.

Unfortunately it looks like Steve Jobs' vision of the iPad as the world's dominant post-PC computer hasn't really come to pass.

Source: Recode
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    I must be the exception...I own 3. I'm typing this on my iPad and have 2 Android ones too.
    The major difference between phones and tablets is that while I'm on the 4th phone, the ancient Motorola Xoom still lives and serves as remote, sudoku machine and the occasional news reader,
    But I see why the sales have hit a plateau...that doesn't make tablets useless and extinct.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    An 8-inch to 10-inch tablet is the perfect size for commuters or a second screen while watching TV.

But I totally agree that tablets last longer (phones should too, but that's a separate rant). We still have a Xoom that gets regular use, and a couple others that are always in use. In fact, I'm looking for a tablet to replace my Venue 8 only because a) the non-replaceable battery is dead so tablet can only be used while plugged in; and b) Dell's final OS update before EOL was garbage and tablet regularly has spasms!

Feedback Score
    I look at so many quirks in the iPad... such as the inability to access files on it when you attach it to another device, and it looks like that despite the news hype about "stop using your PC and use the new iPad Pro", it's really a glorified iPod. Why else would they leave it crippled this way?

I will eat my hat if IOS 11 ends up actually allowing complete file access from the side of another attached device.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipse View Post
    I must be the exception...I own 3. I'm typing this on my iPad and have 2 Android ones too.
    The major difference between phones and tablets is that while I'm on the 4th phone, the ancient Motorola Xoom still lives and serves as remote, sudoku machine and the occasional news reader,
    But I see why the sales have hit a plateau...that doesn't make tablets useless and extinct.
    I use three tablets as well. Two Nexus 7(2013) models. 16GB and 32GB. And a 10.5" Samsung Galaxy Tab S from several years ago. When I get home, my cellphone goes on a charging cradle and I rarely touch it until I leave home. For any text messages, I also get those routed to my PCs and tablets. And any cell calls are sent to my home cordless phone. That connects to the cellphone over Bluetooth. I only use my cellphone when I'm away from home. I have no desire to use it while I'm at home. Since I have other options that give me the same capability, with larger screens.

Feedback Score
    I have 2 tablets and many many phones.

My Mom has 2 tablets also but she uses hers instead of having a laptop.

My first tablet is the BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB.
    I had been waiting for the under $200 Netbook to come out but at that time it just never did.
    So the BlackBerry PlayBook was the best option at that time.

My Mom also got a BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB at the same time.

I always had a big laptop going but wanted something smaller and more portable for light work.

I loved my BlackBerry PlayBook for a long time but I really wanted an actual keyboard.

The Chromebook came out and I thought about it for a few years and the Acer Chromebooks finally met my wants at a small 'laptop' under $200. I got 1 last August for $110 brand new at Target.
    I have 2 of them now and so rarely crack out my tablets.
    A friend gave me an HP Stream 8 a few years ago but it just never worked properly so it's been in its case unused for quite a while.

My Mom loves her Samsung Galaxy 8 tablet and doesn't want or need a laptop for what she uses 'the internet' for.

I find with my Chromebook I can get most of what I have to do done. Only occasionally I have to crack out my big HP laptop.

If the sub $200 Netbook had came out before I bought my first tablet I would not have gotten one.

Initially before I bought my first Chromebook I didn't think that an 11.3 inch screen would be tolerable but I find it to be perfect.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I never would have guessed that tablets were so far behind.

I have one and like it, but it is heavy and clumsy to hold and carry around compared to a phone. I only use it when a phone isn't enough to see what I am doing, but not so serious as to need to use a notebook or desk computer. For serious business or typing only a notebook or desk computer will do.

My cable company allows us to watch live TV with their app over home Wifi. I occasionally use it to watch TV while I am using Internet on the real TV. Yesterday I had the Tour de France, British Open, and NASCAR on the tablet on the side while I was browsing and working on other things on the big screen with a real keyboard. Phones are too small to use this way for my taste.

Mine is a LG G Pad F 8". It is no where near the most recent or fastest thing out there. The performance is adequate - sometimes requiring a bit of patience. It was $100 about a year ago. I didn't want to spend a lot of money for something so easy to drop or lose. It even works with a GSM data SIM which is handy.

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have 2 tablets an iPad pro which I use all the time for media an an LG G Pad X I use, an cell phone can never replace an good tablet in my book hell my friend has the 1st Gen iPad and it still works

Sent from my Galaxy S8 Plus
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Feedback Score
    My 2 cents is tablets will always be around, even the chart shows about 500 million in 5 years.

What makes more sense watching a movie, reading a book on the tablet or even 6 inch smart phone.
    The problem with Android tablets are two fold, where are the New TABLETS and full Android Support.
    The problem with the iPad is price.

Many say the convertible laptops may take over but a good device is a few grand.... No thanks