Thread: Migrate Number and Transfer Money

Device(s)
    LG 290C
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

Migrate Number and Transfer Money

Anybody ever migrate a phone number from Virgin to Boost and also transfer money in the Virgin account to a different Virgin account?

I'm switching my number to Boost because I'm an Android guy, but my daughter's staying on Virgin. I want to port (I guess they call it "migrate" since it's all within Sprint) my number from VM to BM, and transfer the remaining cash I have on my VM account to my daughter's VM account.

The VM support person I spoke to first told me that if they transferred the money, that would automatically cancel my VM account, and I would lose my number - she said I should migrate my number to Boost first, and then call back and transfer the money.

But when I tried to initiate the migration at Boost, the Boost rep (who could see there was still money in my VM account) insisted it doesn't work that way, and I would lose that VM account and money an soon as I migrated the number.

Anybody know which is actually the way to go? Transfer the number first, or transfer the money first?

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There's no need to move to Boost yet. VM will still support Android phones through 2018. By then, I imagine they will have a process in place to switch you from VM to Boost including any balance. In the mean time, maybe you can work on lowering the balance, e.g., if you have autopay on, turn it off and start debiting from the balance?

Device(s)
    LG 290C
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    There's no need to move to Boost yet. VM will still support Android phones through 2018. By then, I imagine they will have a process in place to switch you from VM to Boost including any balance. In the mean time, maybe you can work on lowering the balance, e.g., if you have autopay on, turn it off and start debiting from the balance?
    Waiting until my balance is used up is always an option, of course, but not ideal. I'm moving because my existing phone (Galaxy SIII) is just about shot - the charging port doesn't work anymore, for one thing.

I've already got a Boost Galaxy S8, because they had a $150 off sale on them, so I'm pretty much ready to switch now.

Feedback Score
    i am surprised you can transfer money to another account at all.

it seems they are saying you can't do both and can only do one of the following.

1. transfer money and lose number.
    or
    2. migrate number and lose money.

however, i don't see why transferring money would close your account because you are allowed to have a balance of zero. perhaps they don't allow transferring money except in cases of closing an account.

out of the two choices they gave you so far #1 will let you not lose your money. i would transfer money and get a new number if they say they can't do both.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF68 View Post
    Waiting until my balance is used up is always an option, of course, but not ideal. I'm moving because my existing phone (Galaxy SIII) is just about shot - the charging port doesn't work anymore, for one thing.

I've already got a Boost Galaxy S8, because they had a $150 off sale on them, so I'm pretty much ready to switch now.
    Makes sense, I figured there was more behind it.