Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Very Poor Data Experience Since The Recent Plan Updates

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Although I'm sure interest has waned, I thought I should post a follow up to this thread about prepaid prioritization. I happened to be looking at the wal mart plans today and noticed they list them as QCI9 on the specs. Idk if that's even supposed to be there but that confirms that prepaid has the same priority as deprioritized postpaid. Postpaid prioritized is QCI8, deprioritized postpaid is QCI9. I did some quick searches and found a few statements (including from Reddit user u/quicr, whom based on their comment history seems to know they're talking about) saying this which aligns with what I've learned from one of my sources.

Excellent find! So we're inching closer to the final answer. At least with Verizon branded services, there are probably only two priority levels (8 and 9) that come into play. Still at large: where do MVNO/wholesale connections fall into the mix. Thanks for posting this.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    Excellent find! So we're inching closer to the final answer. At least with Verizon branded services, there are probably only two priority levels (8 and 9) that come into play. Still at large: where do MVNO/wholesale connections fall into the mix. Thanks for posting this.
    They are typically capped for speeds aren't they? My Verizon prepaid speeds are the same as post paid speeds. While those MVNo Carriers might be limited to 5mbps or so.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    They are typically capped for speeds aren't they? My Verizon prepaid speeds are the same as post paid speeds. While those MVNo Carriers might be limited to 5mbps or so.

I have access to a Moto X PE on Verizon Prepaid and a Moto G5 Plus on Red Pocket/Verizon. While running speed tests side by side, the X was connected to band 4 and the G5 was connected to band 13. But both achieved similar speeds. Of course it's going to depend on location, but I've found that Red Pocket/Verizon is not throttled and I get good speeds (including pings) and it allows tethering too. (No VoLTE, though on RP/V.)

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've been getting some really varying results in downtown Houston on Verizon prepaid. Same location, same phone, different days -- 41 megabytes down, next week around 0.6. Congestion? This is a prepaid SIM straight with Verizon, not an MVNO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ohenryx View Post
    I've been getting some really varying results in downtown Houston on Verizon prepaid. Same location, same phone, different days -- 41 megabytes down, next week around 0.6. Congestion? This is a prepaid SIM straight with Verizon, not an MVNO.
    In my experience Verizon Prepaid data is now heavily deprioritized. It was so bad about 3-4 months back that I gave up on Verizon Prepaid even for a backup line as the data was simply unusable to me, at least during peak and prime time hours...you know, when i'd actually be using the dang thing.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrperkster View Post
    In my experience Verizon Prepaid data is now heavily deprioritized. It was so bad about 3-4 months back that I gave up on Verizon Prepaid even for a backup line as the data was simply unusable to me, at least during peak and prime time hours...you know, when i'd actually be using the dang thing.
    Since I will be switching to unlimited prepaid soon, I've been doing a bunch of speed tests this month here in DC and northern VA. I'm still typically getting 50 mbps to 95 mbps in the speed tests I've done. Although I did see only 10mbps on the test I did during rush hours Friday, near the White House.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrperkster View Post
    Fully agreed. This is indeed a sad state of affairs and I'll be switching from Verizon prepaid to another service sooner rather than later.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My LTE performance on a Verizon MVNO is miserable. I couldn't even get google.com to load Saturday. And this isn't just in one place, this is across a 20-30 mile stretch.

I just ran a speed test- 50 - 300kbps on LTE, 500 - 1300 kbps on 3G. I guess I'll try leaving LTE disabled then...

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Just moved to Boom mobile today. At least here, tonight, I got 39 down and 17 up.

Which probably indicates that there is no real congestion at my home. A previous MVNO with the traditional cap was generally 4+mb/down here at home.

I'll have to test sometime in a more crowded location. My general history with the Verizon network has mostly been positive, except at my workplace where even under Postpaid, it liked to drop to 3G.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You didn't move from Verizon prepaid to Boom, right?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grayson73 View Post
    You didn't move from Verizon prepaid to Boom, right?
    I moved a phone number from another MVNO to Boom. The phone I used had previously been on Verizon Postpaid/prepaid on another number up until last November.

So it isn't an example of an iPhone purchased on Verizon postpaid and ported directly to a MVNO.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8