Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Moto E4 - My mini-review

Feedback Score

Verizon Moto E4 - My mini-review

I am really liking this Verizon Moto E4 (using it on Tracfone/AT&T). I bought it because it is a bargain ($40 @ Walmart/$2 sim unlock eBay), and to have as a backup for my Moto G4. The G4 is rooted and running a custom ROM, so I am used to all the tweaks I have been using. That being said, I have always thought that the G4 is a tad BIGGER than I would really like. The E4, however, is just about the perfect size (for me). Despite the differences in specs, the E4 does everything I need it to ( I am not big into games), and the screen looks really crisp and bright. I am considering using it in place of my G4 if I can get over the following:

1. Increasing Ring for calls can't be disabled (3rd party apps don't work...I've tried)

2. Using the volume buttons to skip music tracks while the screen is off isn't available (Again, 3rd party app don't work).

3. The Settings color scheme can't be themed/changed. Stuck with the ugly Teal - YUCK!

4. Ringtone & Notification are linked and can't be unlinked.

However, I have been able to:

1. Block adds. There is an app called DNS66 that blocks ads in 3rd party apps. It's been working really well. Uses same host files as AdAway, which requires root. DNS66 doesn't. Google for it.

2. Set the Volume Rocker to control only media volume, rather than ringtone volume (Rocker Locker in Play Store). I am constantly pressing the volume rocker accidentally (the buttons are flipped on the G4) and changing the ring volume...DROVE ME CRAZY.

If the Verizon E4 could ever, somehow, be rooted, that would be heaven. If the fully unlocked E4 ever has a crazy sale like this, I would be all over it. In the meantime, I may be on the lookout for other 5 inch phones that are rootable, however, will they be as nice as the E4?

Still deciding which to use as my daily driver.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm considering grabbing the unlocked E4 for a couple family members. For non-geeks, do you think it's pretty usable? Think older folks who mostly talk and text with some web browsing.

Feedback Score
    For non-geeks it's totally usable. Even for a semi-geek like me it's totally usable. Been on it exclusively for a few days now. For talk, text, & data, its perfectly fine. The screen is really nice for a budget phone. Camera is adequate. Has finger-print sensor that can be used for one key swiping. It is a really nice phone..especially for $40!
    The nerdy rooting stuff is where I have a few issues. I just downloaded Volume Control, which is supposed to let me set different levels for ringer and notification. It appears to work. I'll know more tomorrow if it really works. DNS66 blocks most adds, but some annoying ones still come through...but even rooted with AdAware I get some ads, so...who knows.
    I will likely go back to my G4 since the dev said he'd be releasing an Android O ROM in due time.
    But I still really like the E4.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the review. This sounds like a perfectly reasonable choice. By the way, I keep seeing $130 as the price. Where is the $40 available, and is it locked?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    Thanks for the review. This sounds like a perfectly reasonable choice. By the way, I keep seeing $130 as the price. Where is the $40 available, and is it locked?
    saw them at Wal-Mart. Yes it's locked.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    $130 is the unlocked (bootloader unlockable) version.
    $40 is the Verizon Moto E4 locked to, well Verizon. Get it at Walmart, or see if Target will price match.
    A $2 sim unlock lets you use it on GSM.
    Once unlocked, data works but call/texts do not. You just need to switch to 3G data, make one call, then you can switch back to LTE and all calls/texts will work in the future.
    This site has A LOT of info. The wiki at the top should help with everything you need.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sorry for all the dumb questions: It looks like it's locked to VZW prepaid. Can I assume putting in my post paid account won't be a problem? Maybe even use the same SIM?

Feedback Score
    From what I've read, putting in your post-paid sim from Verizon will hotline your number/account. Not really sure what all that entails. Again, the link I posted above will have more info.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1968 View Post
    From what I've read, putting in your post-paid sim from Verizon will hotline your number/account. Not really sure what all that entails. Again, the link I posted above will have more info.
    Yes. Further reading I did on the link provided (and Verizon's own site) confirmed the hotline. So if you don't want to make life hard on yourself, plan on buying one month of prepaid service for the phone before attempting a move to postpaid. Easy enough, and still affordable.

Feedback Score
    So, after a week of use I switched back to my Moto G4. The E4 is an awesome phone and I wanted to keep using it, but the lack of root and not being able to do some geeky things led to the switch. What can I say...I'm weak.
    I have offered the phone to my wife, which is a huge upgrade for her, and she doesn't care about the root/geek factor.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1968 View Post
    So, after a week of use I switched back to my Moto G4. The E4 is an awesome phone and I wanted to keep using it, but the lack of root and not being able to do some geeky things led to the switch. What can I say...I'm weak.
    I have offered the phone to my wife, which is a huge upgrade for her, and she doesn't care about the root/geek factor.
    This is definitely the one I will roll with for family, then.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score

Verizon Moto E4 - My mini-review

Yes both Walmart and Target have this for $40. I picked one up and unlocked it to use on cricket and for traveling outside the US.
    Cheap calling cards now available! Click here!

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Help, I can't get phone to prompt for unlock code. Got code from ebay seller and have a freedom pop sim. Have not been able to unlock.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    I got one at Target last week and had them price match the Walmart price.
    I used my Target RedCard and got 5% off and I got an unlock code from eBay.
    I set it up a few days ago at the library because their internet is super fast.

After playing around with it for a few days I really hate using Google Pictures.
    I see that this phone doesn't have a Gallery like pretty much most of the phones I have used do.

I'm coming from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2 and I love the standard gallery that is the pre-installed default gallery.

I think that is the only thing that I am not thrilled with on the Moto E4.

I put in a a 16GB microSD card and when I look at the storage it shows it in the phone.
    All of the test pictures I have taken with the Moto E4 were in Google Pictures.

Hpham has suggested a gallery app but I'm not sure yet.
    I wish I could find the standard gallery app that is in my LG Phoenix 2 because it's perfect for me and how I use it.

I found the old Hello Moto ringtone and installed it on the phone.
    I like it's old retro sound.
    I think it was on my old Motorola W315 years ago.

I think that the camera is a bit better than the Phoenix 2s camera.

It feels pretty sturdy and well built.
    The battery life was pretty good yesterday when I was playing around with it.

I think that the charger that came with it is 2 Amps and it charged the battery fairly quickly.

Screen looks good.
    I have not activated the finger print thing yet and I'm debating doing that.
    None of my phones are password protected because I just never found it necessary.

Maybe I might do it just for fun.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post

After playing around with it for a few days I really hate using Google Pictures.
    I see that this phone doesn't have a Gallery like pretty much most of the phones I have used do.
    The Google "Photos" app will work exactly like a regular gallery app if you do not sync it with your Google account. I do not have a google/gmail account and during setup just bypassed or ignored the sync with Google account part. No need for a third party gallery app.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast