Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Moto E4 - My mini-review

Feedback Score
    Be aware that the Verizon branded Moto E4 will NOT hold band 12 on T-Mo after unlocking. Been there, done that and sold it since it's crippled on T-Mo and their mvno's. I had no problems with At&t sims, but with my T-Mo sim, the minute I went into a building the signal dropped completely. Did the same test with my Moto G4 and it's holds band 12 just fine. Somehow Verizon has jammed this band 12 connection. For a truly unlocked version that's able to be used on all 4 US carriers and others world wide, get the XT1768 model as it has every band.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I have noticed that the shortcuts disappear after a reboot for any apps that are installed on the SD card. The apps do remain on the card. The card is formatted as internal memory. Has anyone had this problem and is there a fix?

thanks

Feedback Score
    Anybody know how to turn off 'Driving Mode' ? I have the Bluetooth connected to my cordless phones as the whole house is a dead zone except for the kitchen window which gives strong cell signal and I can use the cordless phones anywhere in the house and outside. But the E4 thinks I'm driving and have the Bluetooth connected to the vehicle. It will only shutoff for an hour. I checked the owners manual. Nothin'.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by R_V_R View Post
    Anybody know how to turn off 'Driving Mode' ? I have the Bluetooth connected to my cordless phones as the whole house is a dead zone except for the kitchen window which gives strong cell signal and I can use the cordless phones anywhere in the house and outside. But the E4 thinks I'm driving and have the Bluetooth connected to the vehicle. It will only shutoff for an hour. I checked the owners manual. Nothin'.
    Are you using the Verizon Messages app?

Feedback Score
    It's the default app, it seems to be. I have the slide-switch in the off position, and I don't see anything in settings or advanced to turn it off permanently. When I click on "I'm Not Driving", it only shuts off for an hour. When it's on it mutes my message notifications because it thinks I'm driving.

Feedback Score
    I just got an E4, after my G4 died - The G4 is just a little to big to fit in pockets so I decided to back to a 5" phone. I was about to buy a Galaxy S5 when I found out about the $40 Verizon E4 at WalMart for $40 and the $2 unlock codes at eBay.

I unlocked it with a RedPocket GSMA SIM. I had to exchange the phone as it had NO cell signal or data, even after a factory reset and a re-unlock. I have no way of knowing if the phone or the unlock was bad (the phone did show 'unlock accepted' ea time).

All went GREAT with the 2nd phone. But... then I found I couldn't do MMS (images w/in texts). Found out I had to change the default messaging app from Verizons: Messenger+ to Messenger. Note: Verizon hid the menu item for this, I finally found it by doing a search at the settings menu for 'messenger' (or maybe messaging).
    It worked, but it kept prompting me to switch to Messenger+, until I disabled that app.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kukopia View Post
    I just got an E4, after my G4 died - The G4 is just a little to big to fit in pockets so I decided to back to a 5" phone. I was about to buy a Galaxy S5 when I found out about the $40 Verizon E4 at WalMart for $40 and the $2 unlock codes at eBay.

I unlocked it with a RedPocket GSMA SIM. I had to exchange the phone as it had NO cell signal or data, even after a factory reset and a re-unlock. I have no way of knowing if the phone or the unlock was bad (the phone did show 'unlock accepted' ea time).

All went GREAT with the 2nd phone. But... then I found I couldn't do MMS (images w/in texts). Found out I had to change the default messaging app from Verizons: Messenger+ to Messenger. Note: Verizon hid the menu item for this, I finally found it by doing a search at the settings menu for 'messenger' (or maybe messaging).
    It worked, but it kept prompting me to switch to Messenger+, until I disabled that app.
    I've had my Moto E4 for a few months and switched from H2O to Red Pocket two months ago. I have no problem using Verizon Messenger+ app, it works fine. I choose to use the stock messenger, just personal preferences. BTW, for anyone interested, the APN settings for Red Pocket Mobile and H2O Wireless are the same.

Feedback Score
    If I switch to the android messenger app, can I transfer my existing texts over from the Messenger+ app?

Feedback Score
    If I switch to the android messenger app, can I transfer my existing texts over from the Messenger+ app?
    They should be there by default. You don't have to do anything.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sampoot View Post
    I've had my Moto E4 for a few months and switched from H2O to Red Pocket two months ago. I have no problem using Verizon Messenger+ app, it works fine. I choose to use the stock messenger, just personal preferences. BTW, for anyone interested, the APN settings for Red Pocket Mobile and H2O Wireless are the same.
    Doesn't the APN settings depend on what network you choose to use on Red Pocket? They offer Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sampoot View Post
    They should be there by default. You don't have to do anything.
    That worked. Thanks. I also disabled the damn Verizon Messenger app. No more Driving Mode making me crazy.

Feedback Score
    I am on Tracfone SafeLink and my Signal app tells me that I get signals from an AT&T tower. I use a BYOP on Tracfone.
    I want to unlock the Verizon Moto E4, but I'm not planning to use it on Tracfone right now. Can I put my GSM Tracfone SIM card in Moto E4 to unlock it or would I be better off asking someone, who has AT&T, if I can borrow their SIM to unlock the Moto.

If I put my SIM into Moto E4 to unlock it, will I be able to use again in my main phone.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Rabbit View Post
    I am on Tracfone SafeLink and my Signal app tells me that I get signals from an AT&T tower. I use a BYOP on Tracfone.
    I want to unlock the Verizon Moto E4, but I'm not planning to use it on Tracfone right now. Can I put my GSM Tracfone SIM card in Moto E4 to unlock it or would I be better off asking someone, who has AT&T, if I can borrow their SIM to unlock the Moto.

If I put my SIM into Moto E4 to unlock it, will I be able to use again in my main phone.

Thanks.
    Doesn't matter what sim card you use to unlock it. Once it's unlocked you can use any AT&T (GSM) based sim/service (Tracfone, Cricket, H2O Wireless, Red Pocket Mobile, etc) you want and can switch between them to your hearts content. T-Mobile sims work too to some degree.

Feedback Score
    Anyway to get it to ask first, before it starts auto-downloading updates? Every time I turn on the WiFi to setup an express bill pay, it starts downloading updates for chrome, Gmail, google, and on and on. Thankfully I went into developers mode to prevent the Verizon auto-updates.

Feedback Score
    Anyway to get it to ask first, before it starts auto-downloading updates? Every time I turn on the WiFi to setup an express bill pay, it starts downloading updates for chrome, Gmail, google, and on and on. Thankfully I went into developers mode to prevent the Verizon auto-updates.
    Yes.
    GO to the settings in the Google Play store and see the setting to auto update apps.
    Click do not automatically update apps and your phone will not automatically update your apps.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast