Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Official Pure TalkUSA Thread

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    PureTalk
    Feedback Score
    Just checked out the new portal. Nicely done! Great having all the info right there.

Device(s)
    Samsung S21
    Carrier(s)
    Pure TalkUSA
    Feedback Score
    Just logged in and was pleasantly surprised. The new portal looks great and everything is much easier to navigate!

WiFi calling would be great. Glad it is actively being worked on.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile prepaid, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Does PureTalk no longer offer low usage (i.e. not unlimited) plans? I was planning on switching my parents over to them, but it looks like they only have unlimited voice plans now — $20 is the cheapest option?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    Does PureTalk no longer offer low usage (i.e. not unlimited) plans? I was planning on switching my parents over to them, but it looks like they only have unlimited voice plans now — $20 is the cheapest option?
    Correct. PT eliminated all of their great low-usage/low-cost plans.

Carrier(s)
    Largest GSM Network
    Feedback Score
    A short promo video of Pure TalkUSA's referral program:

Device(s)
    Samsung S21
    Carrier(s)
    Pure TalkUSA
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone gotten MMS working on Android when over WiFi? The APN settings only work when WiFi is not connected to send/receive MMS from the native Android messenger app. I had to download a 3rd party text messenger from the App Store (Textra) to send/receive MMS on WiFi.

I’m going to call them this morning and see what is up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frowertr View Post
    Has anyone gotten MMS working on Android when over WiFi? The APN settings only work when WiFi is not connected to send/receive MMS from the native Android messenger app. I had to download a 3rd party text messenger from the App Store (Textra) to send/receive MMS on WiFi.

I’m going to call them this morning and see what is up.
    As far as I've ever known, MMS can't be received over WiFi, except possibly if there is working WiFi calling, which we know no AT&T MVNO has yet.

Apparently, whatever phone you have, or the native texting app, isn't sophisticated enough to switch from WiFi to cellular data to send/receive MMS like some phones can do. I'm guessing that Textra somehow adds that capability.

Device(s)
    Samsung S21
    Carrier(s)
    Pure TalkUSA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    As far as I've ever known, MMS can't be received over WiFi, except possibly if there is working WiFi calling, which we know no AT&T MVNO has yet.

Apparently, whatever phone you have, or the native texting app, isn't sophisticated enough to switch from WiFi to cellular data to send/receive MMS like some phones can do. I'm guessing that Textra somehow adds that capability.
    Interesting. I did not know that. We have two other phones on our plan (both iPhones) and they are able to send/receive MMS over wifi. My S8 however will not using its native app.

I'm on the phone with Pure TalkUSA now but it doesn't sound promising. I'll probably just continue using Textra. I actually like it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frowertr View Post
    Interesting. I did not know that. We have two other phones on our plan (both iPhones) and they are able to send/receive MMS over wifi. My S8 however will not using its native app.

I'm on the phone with Pure TalkUSA now but it doesn't sound promising. I'll probably just continue using Textra. I actually like it.
    Are the iPhones working for MMS sent/received from NON-iPhones while connected to WiFi? If you send a MMS to one of those iPhones while connected to WiFi, is it received immediately, or does it only arrive after the iPhone disconnects from WiFi?

Device(s)
    Samsung S21
    Carrier(s)
    Pure TalkUSA
    Feedback Score
    Are the iPhones working for MMS sent/received from NON-iPhones while connected to WiFi? If you send a MMS to one of those iPhones while connected to WiFi, is it received immediately, or does it only arrive after the iPhone disconnects from WiFi?
    As far as I can tell, if I try to send a MMS from my S8 on WiFi, the little circle thing just spins next to the picture indefinitely. It simply will never send. If I get an incoming MMS while on Wifi on my S8, I get an empty box in the message thread and an error occurs telling me in couldn't download.

So the iPhones (or any other phone) will never get anything I send to them via MMS while the S8 is on WiFi because my phone simply fails to send it.

What I have noticed is that http://mmsc.mobile.att.net (which is the MMSC portion of the APN settings) is not a reachable address from outside of the cell phone data network (e.g. AT&T). I cannot ping mmsc.mobile.att.net from Comcast at home or work. That address simply can not be gotten to unless you are on the cell network. I'm assuming this is the problem.

My phone is a Sprint branded S8. I have done a factory reset, however, it still has Sprint FW flashed on it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Lumia 635, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile prepaid, H2O
    Feedback Score

This is correct. Also, MMS can be transmitted via WiFi on iPhones because all text messages are transmitted via iMessage (i.e. Apple’s servers) first before they are diverted to SMS/MMS protocols.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I know that. But that wasn't the question. The question was about the iPhones.

I suspect that they can't receive MMS from NON-iPhones while connected to WiFi. If they receive MMS from another iPhone, it is received via iMessage, which DOES work over WiFi, not traditional carrier MMS, like if the MMS is sent from an Android.

Anyway, apparently Textra turns briefly disables WiFi to allow MMS to be sent/received via the cellular network, and then re-enables WiFi, so at least the issue is solved for your S8.

Device(s)
    Samsung S21
    Carrier(s)
    Pure TalkUSA
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I know that. But that wasn't the question. The question was about the iPhones.

I suspect that they can't receive MMS from NON-iPhones while connected to WiFi. If they receive MMS from another iPhone, it is received via iMessage, which DOES work over WiFi, not traditional carrier MMS, like if the MMS is sent from an Android.

Anyway, apparently Textra turns briefly disables WiFi to allow MMS to be sent/received via the cellular network, and then re-enables WiFi, so at least the issue is solved for your S8.
    So I just tested one of the iPhones that is on Wifi. My S8 is also on WiFi. The iPhone is able to get MMS from me when I use Textra.

I guess this whole scenario is good to know. I didn't realize that MMS was a issue of Android on AT&T MVNOs but at least Textra takes care of it.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3 XL, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, TracFone, TextNow, Moto E2
    Feedback Score
    If the phone and the carrier's MMS Service Center address and MMS proxy (if used) are properly configured by the carrier, It should be possible to send and receive MMS as long as cellular data is not disabled and you have a signal. WiFi on or off should not matter. MMS always uses data, never WiFi, unless carrier based WiFi calling is set up and working.

I remember seeing a long thread from a year or so ago, I think it was in the Cricket forum, where someone discovered an issue where the carrier's misconfigured setup prevented MMS from working when WiFi was on. I believe that the fix was to change the MMS proxy from the carrier provided string to an IP address.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Device(s)
    Samsung S21
    Carrier(s)
    Pure TalkUSA
    Feedback Score
    I realize that Pure TalkUSA doesn't officially support hotspot on Android, but it does work on my Galaxy S8. However, the phone sets a hard limit of how many wireless connections that are allowed to only 1. That seems silly. Is there no way to change this? I'm running Sprint firmware since I had this on my Sprint account before porting over.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast