Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Official Pure TalkUSA Thread

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    Pure TalkUSA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LPDean View Post
    Hello everyone. We switched to PT at the beginning of October 2019. We switched from ATT. No problems with cell service but our issue has been getting our hot spot to work. We have an iPhone 8 plus and an LG K20. Both phones hot spot worked when we had ATT. But every time we call PT it seems all we get is the run around. We get the same reply every time. They say there's no guarantee the LG will work and they are waiting on an answer from ATT on the iPhone. This has been going on 4 months now. Every time we call we spend almost an hour talking to support. It's really getting old!

Hi @LPDean
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a PT representative (I'm a PT customer), but I have a few suggestions you might want to check / verify after reading your post.

1. I had a similar problem (no hotspot) on my phone. Whenever I attempted to turn on the hotspot, I got an error message....even after contacting PT phone support. I did some searching, found this forum, then posted a question here on the forum (as you also have done). In my case, a PT representative quickly contacted me through a Howard Forums private message. Be sure you have a good email address on your Howard Forums account...and check your SPAM / Junk folder. PT does monitor this forum.

2. Be sure your LG K20 & iPhone 8+ are NOT "carrier locked". The major carriers (and some MVNO's) lock their products to only work on their systems. Even though PT is an AT&T MVNO, your phones might still be "carrier locked" to your old AT&T service. Additionally, even if PT sets their system to unlock hotspot on your account, the "carrier lock" on your phones will still stop you from having it function properly.

If you've paid off your phones (ie, you own your phones) AND your former AT&T service is current (zero balance), then a quick call to your former service might solve your problem. AT&T (by law in the USA I believe) must remove the "carrier lock" for FREE, at your request, as-long-as your account is in good standing AND your phones are paid off (ie, you own them).

I found a post on an AT&T forum mentioning a similar situation:
    https://soc.att.com/39s7yV3

Beyond the "carrier lock" issue, PT needs to have your IMEI number(s) assigned to your account. You most likely did this when you signed up...but verify PT has what they need.

3. A more technical solution, if your so inclined, is to root (Android) or jailbreak (iPhone) your phones. I've personally never had the reason to do (or attempt) this, but I thought I'd mention it as an option should you have no other recourse (short of purchasing new unlocked phones).

I'd HIGHLY recommend you read into the process before you attempt this. It seems to me that Android is easier to root than iPhone is to jailbreak....but with ether, it is something to exercise caution with. For Android, the XDA Developers forum is a good resource. Other members here might be able to recommend a similar iPhone forum.

Best wishes!

Feedback Score
    Hello everyone. We switched to PT at the beginning of October 2019. We switched from ATT. No problems with cell service but our issue has been getting our hot spot to work. We have an iPhone 8 plus and an LG K20. Both phones hot spot worked when we had ATT. But every time we call PT it seems all we get is the run around. We get the same reply every time. They say there's no guarantee the LG will work and they are waiting on an answer from ATT on the iPhone. This has been going on 4 months now. Every time we call we spend almost an hour talking to support. It's really getting old!
    Did you install the PureTalk USA APN profile certificate on your iPhone?

Settings->General->Profiles You should see one for "PureRESELLER" in the list of profiles. If you do, then go into it and make sure it is marked as "verified" and signed by telrite-cca.smarttrust.com. If you don't have that you need to get it and it should be valid. This is what allows you to access the correct Data network configuration. Remove all other profiles that you may have received from other carriers, including ATT prepaid.

Feedback Score
    First thanks to kegger and snova for their replies. There was an old balance on the previous ATT account that we were unaware of. When that was taken care if the iPhone hotspot started working. Seems odd customer support couldn't help with that. Wish I could say the same for the LGK20. It still come back with the dreaded network error and of course PT won't help with android.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    Pure TalkUSA
    Feedback Score
    First thanks to kegger and snova for their replies. There was an old balance on the previous ATT account that we were unaware of. When that was taken care if the iPhone hotspot started working. Seems odd customer support couldn't help with that. Wish I could say the same for the LGK20. It still come back with the dreaded network error and of course PT won't help with android.
    Hi @LPDean...

I'm glad you found the previous balance in your AT&T account....and that your iPhone's Hot Spot started working.

As for your LG K20 (Plus?)....give AT&T a final call to verify that they have removed the carrier lock on your device....just to be sure. By law, they should honor your request now that your account is in good standing (as long as you also have your phone paid off).

After that, you might consider posting another question to the forum, but directed (politely) to the Pure Talk moderator. In my case, they contacted me through the Howard Forum's messaging system for additional information....and quickly resolved my Hot Spot problem on my Android phone. It can be done

I mentioned another option would be to root your Android phone...but do so with caution. I Googled your phone (LG K20 Plus?) and "root".....and came up with quite a few hits....not sure which are applicable, and your level of technical knowledge. Additionally, there is a couple of different models mentioned, so you need to determine which specific device you have (the models probably refer to which carrier LG makes the device for).

The XDA Developer & other guides describe how to unlock the "boot loader" (OEM unlock) by accessing it in "developer mode" (this step is VERY easy and requires very little effort). This step alone might be enough to allow Pure Talk to activate your Hot Spot. Past this initial step, please exercise EXTREME caution and verify that you have exactly the right device model they are giving the instructions for as it can become quite technical and involve the use of a computer.

Best wishes!

Device(s)
    6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I will be porting in from Cricket in a couple days. Any new cellular features coming out this year we can look forward to?
    Last edited by tibadoe; 01-31-2020 at 05:08 AM.
    ----
    Joe

Device(s)
    6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    I will be porting in from Cricket in a couple days. Any new cellular features coming out this year we can look forward to?
    Update: SIMM cards were delivered on Saturday. After a little confusion on porting all is fine. Thanks for the help.

Device(s)
    6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    @PureTalkUSA Is Visual Voicemail coming to PureTalk? How about a app? Thanks for your help.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL
    Carrier(s)
    Pure TalkUSA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    @PureTalkUSA Is Visual Voicemail coming to PureTalk? How about a app? Thanks for your help.

Hi @tibadoe
    Others have previously asked about Visual Voicemail coming to PureTalk. Here is one reply from the PT moderator...

http://bit.ly/37bnysh

The post is dated from October 2017, so I would imagine the customer portal implementation mentioned might be implemented by now (although no timeline was indicated in the reply). I'd check there (your customer portal) first, but if you have difficultly, then a quick call to customer service should resolve & active your Visual Voicemail.

Also note that although I can find links regarding Visual Voicemail, they don't specifically mention Android phones. Most reference iPhone.

Best wishes...

Carrier(s)
    Largest GSM Network
    Feedback Score
    Exciting news to share - Pure TalkUSA was included in the latest iOS release. Customers should download/install the latest update AND ACCEPT an update to their carrier settings. This update will give wi-fi Calling, VoLTE, VVM, and other Apple functionality (MMS/etc) to devices 6S through iPhone 11 Pro.

We will share furthers updates regarding Android device wi-fi calling and VoLTE in a later post.

Feedback Score

call forwarding doesn't work with Pixel!

I'm trying out a Pure Talk SIM before I cancel my account with T-mobile and I'm unable to turn on call forwarding. I have a Pixel 3a XL.

Initially I was unable to access the internet via LTE or use call forwarding. A Pure Talk technical rep just stepped me through some APN settings (apparently these fail to load with some android phones). This cleared up the issue with LTE data but call forwarding still didn't work. She said this is not uncommon with androids and suggested I use the call forwarding MMI code. That also failed (error msg: "Call Forwarding. Connection Problem or invalid MMI code."). In that case, she said I must call Pure Talk tech support each time I want to turn call forwarding on or off. They would create a ticket that gets passed to AT&T, which can take up to 72 hours! WOW

That's a deal killer for me. I keep my cell forwarded to my landline whenever I work at home, so I need to turn it off whenever I leave the house. I recently bought the Pixel so I'm definitely not interested in buying another phone. BTW, I tried the Pure Talk SIM with my old iPhone (5c) and had no problem activating call forwarding from the settings menu.

So is this android compatibility issue specific to AT&T, specific to Pure Talk, or would I run into the same problem with any MVNO?
    Last edited by ginahoy; 02-23-2020 at 12:00 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PureTalkUSA View Post
    Exciting news to share - Pure TalkUSA was included in the latest iOS release. Customers should download/install the latest update AND ACCEPT an update to their carrier settings. This update will give wi-fi Calling, VoLTE, VVM, and other Apple functionality (MMS/etc) to devices 6S through iPhone 11 Pro.

We will share furthers updates regarding Android device wi-fi calling and VoLTE in a later post.
    This is awesome news! Two questions do you guys still have mobile hotspot included in plans and do you have an app to track usage?

Oh also do you have HD video streaming as well?

Carrier(s)
    Largest GSM Network
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by punisherbv View Post
    This is awesome news! Two questions do you guys still have mobile hotspot included in plans and do you have an app to track usage?

Oh also do you have HD video streaming as well?
    Hotspot is included - depending on device.

No APP, but our customer portal tracks usage.

Streaming is available up to 1080P depending on the coverage. We do not limit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ginahoy View Post
    So is this android compatibility issue specific to AT&T, specific to Pure Talk, or would I run into the same problem with any MVNO?
    I personally think it's an AT&T issue. I have the same problem with my OnePlus 6T and I'm a ATT post paid account. I had to do a chat session with them to get the forwarding to work. They didn't even try to troubleshoot it and acknowledged it was an ongoing issue.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ginahoy View Post
    I'm trying out a Pure Talk SIM before I cancel my account with T-mobile and I'm unable to turn on call forwarding. I have a Pixel 3a XL.

Initially I was unable to access the internet via LTE or use call forwarding. A Pure Talk technical rep just stepped me through some APN settings (apparently these fail to load with some android phones). This cleared up the issue with LTE data but call forwarding still didn't work. She said this is not uncommon with androids and suggested I use the call forwarding MMI code. That also failed (error msg: "Call Forwarding. Connection Problem or invalid MMI code."). In that case, she said I must call Pure Talk tech support each time I want to turn call forwarding on or off. They would create a ticket that gets passed to AT&T, which can take up to 72 hours! WOW

That's a deal killer for me. I keep my cell forwarded to my landline whenever I work at home, so I need to turn it off whenever I leave the house. I recently bought the Pixel so I'm definitely not interested in buying another phone. BTW, I tried the Pure Talk SIM with my old iPhone (5c) and had no problem activating call forwarding from the settings menu.

It seems to be an AT&T network issue that only affects Android. If you have or can borrow a non-Android phone, try putting your SIM in it and use it to enter the codes. I used an old Nokia N95 Symbian phone to setup forwarding for my TracFone AT&T SIM that I use in my Samsung Note 4.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Thinking of switching my family to PureTalk but hotspot is something my husband and I both need. Does anyone know if hotspot works with Pixel devices? All unlocked, 2 purchased through Google Fi and one from Best Buy

Also, will MMS work with an iPhone 8?

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast