Thread: How to payoff device without getting charged big

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10 5G, Samsung Tab S4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

How to payoff device without getting charged big

I'm currently on Verizon and my bill without any device payments is $100 and with my device payments is about $140 i got my phone well before I lost my job and have not been getting alot of money since I left work.... now I would like to switch to another carrier to save money on a better plan but don't have the money to pay off the device in full.... I do still have money to pay for the bill but I don't think I'll have this money for long.... I may in a pinch go with the cheapest data plan for post paid if I don't find an option soon enough.... My question, how can I get out before I don't get any money coming in I need the cheapest or fastest way to get out by porting out somewhere or by other options and not have to pay the device payment early termination fee in full

Any suggestions? I'd like to get some answers before it's too late

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I believe T-Mobile will pay up to $650 if you port over to them.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrfaw View Post
    I believe T-Mobile will pay up to $650 if you port over to them.
    But wouldn't he have to get T-Mobile ONE plans to get that? That might be more than he's paying right now.

Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    But wouldn't he have to get T-Mobile ONE plans to get that? That might be more than he's paying right now.

Depends on how many lines he has.

Feedback Score
    OP, if your phone is worth more than you owe then you can sell it and buy a cheaper phone In full. The cheapest single line postpaid plan is the 5 GB for $55 on Verizon. If you go prepaid then Cricket Wireless is generally going to be the cheapest. Sprint and their subsidiaries might actually have cheaper plans too.

Feedback Score
    Not sure if this is possible...

Get a cheap unlocked phone
    Swap ESN with your existing phone and use the cheap one instead
    Sell the phone
    Payoff the phone

Note that whoever buys the phone needs to know that they probably won't be able to activate it until is paid off. So good luck with that...
    °(((=((===°°°(((================================================

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    OP, if your phone is worth more than you owe then you can sell it and buy a cheaper phone In full. The cheapest single line postpaid plan is the 5 GB for $55 on Verizon. If you go prepaid then Cricket Wireless is generally going to be the cheapest. Sprint and their subsidiaries might actually have cheaper plans too.
    Actually they changed their plans and 2 GB is the lowest at a starting price of $35 which would make it around $60-70 after everything better than having to pay the phone off in full I got about $650 left to go to pay it off and it doesn't cost more than about $700 or $800 brand new... It's a Samsung S8

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post

The startup cost if I wanna keep my phone would involve me to pay for two lines of service at $100 two sim cards at $25 per phone and finance a new smartphone with T-Mobile (cheapest is $4/month) so I'm thinking of about $160 for the first month and $104 for the second month before I can pay off the device and move to another provider... Leaves me with a phone I don't want and not saving me anything... If I don't activate my phone I'll have to trade it I to T-Mobile and only get about $300 for my S8 loosing money.... I'm screwed anyway I look at it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    Actually they changed their plans and 2 GB is the lowest at a starting price of $35 which would make it around $60-70 after everything better than having to pay the phone off in full I got about $650 left to go to pay it off and it doesn't cost more than about $700 or $800 brand new... It's a Samsung S8

That doesn't sound cheaper. 2Gb plan - $35 + $20 line fee = $55; 5GB plan - $40 + $20 line fee - $5 autopay discount. Taxes and fees should be the same since data isn't taxed. Only real difference is the 5 for $55 requires the autopay from a checking account and gets you 3 extra GB of data. I just saw your other post though, looks like you have 2 lines so the 5 for $55 isn't an option for you. T-mobile is currently $120 for 2 lines though; they increased their prices, but added Netflix as a feature.

It looks like you can sell the S8 on Swappa for around $500, but then you would need to come up with $150 and then would need to buy a phone, so you aren't in a great position doing that either. I mean, if you have to shell out $150 you might as well switch to another carrier using the switcher offers and buy a cheap $150 phone.

Feedback Score
    Does T-Mobile still have the get the Red Out Promo? You bring your iPhone and they swap the sim for a T-mobile sim. Then they send you a check for your Verizon installment balance. Stay with them for a little while and your phone is paid off. Some have said you can actually leave T-mobile 3 months later if you want.

Feedback Score

How to payoff device without getting charged big

Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Does T-Mobile still have the get the Red Out Promo? You bring your iPhone and they swap the sim for a T-mobile sim. Then they send you a check for your Verizon installment balance. Stay with them for a little while and your phone is paid off. Some have said you can actually leave T-mobile 3 months later if you want.
    There isn't a minimum time that you have to stay, but it is only for select phones and the S8 isn't one of those phones. That promo is still active though.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    that would be the best option but I'm not shure they would do it for me as I don't have a eligible phone.... maybe they would do an exception I hope

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    There isn't a minimum time that you have to stay, but it is only for select phones and the S8 isn't one of those phones. That promo is still active though.
    so your sying if I happen to be able to do that promo magically I could switch after a few days? just need them to pay off my phone and hold my phone number

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    so your sying if I happen to be able to do that promo magically I could switch after a few days? just need them to pay off my phone and hold my phone number
    If you had an eligible phone you could switch after 15 days once you got the rebate, but carriers don't prorate service, so staying 15 days or 30 makes no difference. T-mobile's catch is need to have the phone active for 60 days on a payment plan, can't be past due, and you can't take advantage of any future switch promos except for the one that reimburses you for ETFs/phone balance if you port and buy a phone on DPP.