Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG V30 Thoughts and Experiences

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

LG V30 Thoughts and Experiences

Hi I am hoping to see thoughts on the LG V30 here.

I am not a moderator and no-one would mistake me for one, but I am hoping to see comments about the reviews and specs information, and especially hands on reports when people get them "post release".

I'm interested in reports about the hardware itself, but nothing about how it works with specific carriers (there are other places for that). I'd also be interested in the expectations of owners of recent models such as the LG G6 and LG V20 in terms of reliability, service, and the rest of the experience also.

I've only used LG very-cheap $20 Androids before, and the Optimus Prime. ahem Slider, so I don't have any sort of LG flagship/premium experience at all before.

Name:  lg-v30-63.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  25.6 KB

Device(s)
    LG V30; iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Hi I am hoping to see thoughts on the LG V30 here.

I am not a moderator and no-one would mistake me for one, but I am hoping to see comments about the reviews and specs information, and especially hands on reports when people get them "post release".
    I have been in the Apple ecosystem for a very long time, but for some reason I was not impressed with this particular fall rollout from Apple.

Their fight with Qualcomm has caused them to use Intel modems for two of their cellular providers (AT&T and T-Mobile), and they also hobble the gigabit LTE and Multi-MIMO on the Qualcomm modems for the SIM Free and Verizon devices because the Intel modems won't do that.

The 8 Plus looked just like my 7 Plus, and the X wasn't going to be around for weeks...and good luck getting one even when it is on the sales page.

My last Android was a Moto X of the first generation, which I bought just to familiarize myself with Android even though my jobs are inside the Apple or SELinux ecosystems.

Something that stood out as I was perusing the reviewers was that the LG V30 would have Band 71, the new T-Mobile 600 MHz spectrum, and gigabit LTE.

So I thought I'd give it a try.

It's *clearly* not the equal of an iPhone in many ways, especially under heavy use. If you wonder whether those super high benchmarks of iPhones make a difference in real life, the answer is yes. For example, if you have a plethora of Web pages open, some of which have heavy content, the V30 will begin to develop a jittery scroll while the iPhone doesn't miss a beat.

It is also very annoying that Apple makes it very hard to use iCloud on any Android device. I'm still trying to find a way around that. If I can't use iCloud and all those iMAP folders that are set up, that will be a daunting task trying to get the same thing with Google or Microsoft mail.

Having said all this negative, however, I have to say that the V30 is brilliant in many ways.

For one thing, the audio is incredible. I have a Krell system in my car, and the V30 makes very good use of it. Even while using Bluetooth, it's great. Using headphones with the V30, it's really a high quality experience.

The Bluetooth for phone calls and SMS works better with recent Honda and Acura than the iPhones on iOS 11 have been working for us.

The screen is brilliant and even if it won't benchmark to beat an iPhone, it's snappy enough for anything normal people would want to do.

There are several different ways to unlock the device, including facial recognition via the conventional front facing camera. This works surprisingly well. Because it's a conventional camera, with no emitters of its own, you need light so the V30 can see you. But if you have the light, it works virtually instantly, within ˝ second for me.

It's not as ultra secure as the iPhone X's system with the infrared emitters that see the capillaries under your skin and can even determine whether there's blood flow before it unlocks the iPhone X.

So we should probably resolve not to keep state secrets on the V30. :-) For what they are, though, all of the unlocking features on the V30 work marvelously and quickly.

There's a difference in how the V30 reports signal strength, I noticed. I was delighted in places that appeared to have full signal strength compared to the iPhone that appeared to have only 50% signal at the same time in the same place.

But it turns out that for a given dBm, the V30 simply reports it as more bars of signal. I'm not sure why they do that, but the fact is that it doesn't matter except it made my heart leap until I figured it out.

The camera is better than I would ever need. I've run across people who claim I'm going to miss some features of the 7 Plus's camera, but I don't think so. We'll see.

I think I'll stick with the V30 until the next year's iPhone rollout. Even though the V30 can't beat an iPhone in benchmarks, it's debatable if that matters. And I really don't like it that Apple claims that the Intel and Qualcomm modems are equal when it's very clear that they are not.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If you're coming from $20 androids I wouldn't jump to a $800 flagship.

I'd buy a mid level android for $150-$250. Or even a used 2 or 3 year old flagship.
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 06.03.19

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    If you're coming from $20 androids I wouldn't jump to a $800 flagship.

I'd buy a mid level android for $150-$250. Or even a used 2 or 3 year old flagship.
    Zap, sorry I wasn't clear ... I mean to say the only LG's I used before were cheapo. I've used other high end flagships ... from others.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Oh ok. Idk about the V30. But LG is the only smartphone I'll own. I used a LG G Flex D950 [flagship at release] for 4 years. It's in retirement or standby now.

Because a month ago I started using a LG G4 H810 [flagship at release]. Got it used off eBay pristine condition.

Years ago I had HTC, Motorola & Samsung. Ime LG are better in every way.

Device(s)
    LG G8, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I love this device. So far I'm using it caseless because I'm enjoying how light it is. My 7 Plus feels like a brick now. I can't even imagine the Note 8. Heavy!

This device is not the best you can get spec wise but for me, it's perfect.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
    ƸӜƷ•°*””*°•.I'm lost. If you find me, Please return me to myself.•°*””*°•.ƸӜƷ

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'd love a LG V30 H930 [AT&T]. But at $900 - $950 retail that's wicked crazy expensive for me. And I'm not going postpaid.

Those who are getting this or have it how'd you obtain it or planning to get it?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Septembersrain View Post
    I love this device. So far I'm using it caseless because I'm enjoying how light it is. My 7 Plus feels like a brick now. I can't even imagine the Note 8. Heavy!

This device is not the best you can get spec wise but for me, it's perfect.

I've actually seen some reviews complain about how light it is! My response to that is "Why???"

--------

There's a new review from "The Verge". The guy loved everything about the V30 except for the horrible blotchy screen display. I went and researched and found that some of the displays are bad, and some are good. September. how about the one in yours?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I've actually seen some reviews complain about how light it is! My response to that is "Why???"

--------

There's a new review from "The Verge". The guy loved everything about the V30 except for the horrible blotchy screen display. I went and researched and found that some of the displays are bad, and some are good. September. how about the one in yours?
    Mine has slight banding only on a gray screen at less than 5% but I'd have never noticed it if I hadn't read about it, so it isn't bad. Honestly, my Note 3 was the same way. I still have my Note 3 and I tested it, sure enough gray just does something weird to certain OLED panels.

There is slight light coming through between the black bezel and frame but I witnessed this on a Note 8. It's not a enough to even bother me.

I think that if someone wants to find fault with a device, they definitely can. I can list off issues on every phone I've bought. However the way I judge is if the pros outweigh the cons. Which for the V30, they do.

Pros:

Lightweight.
    Shape good for one handed use even with smaller hands like mine.
    Less edge, no accidental touches.
    Fast.
    Lots of modes in camera.
    Quad DAC, amazing audio.
    3.5 MM headphone jack (This is still important to me, I have too much stuff to charge already)
    Accurate finger print scanner and placed in good location.
    Apps rarely refresh, multitasking is a breeze!
    12+ hours of heavy usage.
    Clear call quality.
    Really great signal, fastest data speeds I've had on a device in years.
    Band 71 (T-Mobile)

Cons:

Slight banding on the color gray if under 5% brightness.
    Light bleed through bezel.
    I wanted the black one but T-Mobile didn't carry it. (I'm liking that the silver doesn't show fingerprints like mad though as I don't use a case)
    No dual external speakers.

Honestly I came from an iPhone 7 Plus. Looking at that screen, then this one is like going from an old browned book to a brand new one with crisp white pages. My iPhone got 1-2 bars in my apartment, my calls would always be cutting in and out or were static filled. I've had very consistent over 30mbps on the V30 compared with the 7 Plus that got maybe 10 on a good day.

Overall, if someone wants the most spec filled device, the Note 8 wins. For someone like me who was looking for a device to fit exactly what I needed, the V30 hasn't disappointed me at all. ^.^

Device(s)
    LG V30; iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I love this device. So far I'm using it caseless because I'm enjoying how light it is. My 7 Plus feels like a brick now.
    How did you find it, incorporating a V30 into the Apple ecosystem?

I had a few glitches but it seems to be working now, except that I have to configure to show both the Google and iCloud calendars in order to catch 100% of the invitations.

Device(s)
    LG V30; iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Band 71 (T-Mobile)
    Although spectrum was purchased specifically to help in my part of the world, I have yet to encounter a single capture of a Band 71 signal.

It has all been Bands 2, 4 and 12.

On the other hand, although it's nowhere near gigabit LTE speeds, it looks like I am benefitting from the V30's Multi MIMO capabilities.

I will very often get up close to 100 Mbps in some places, and I was nowhere near that with the iPhone 7 Plus.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    How are you folks getting these? Paying retail, postpaid plans or ....?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    How are you folks getting these? Paying retail, postpaid plans or ....?
    EIP through T-Mobile. I can't afford a device outright anymore.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I waiting for the price to drop and then may get it. If anyone does a buy one get one deal I'll take the free one
    Last edited by themanhimself; 10-18-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    EIP through T-Mobile. I can't afford a device outright anymore.

Thanks for your response.

I hate that flagships or any phone is over $300.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast