Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IPnone SIM swaps

Feedback Score

IPnone SIM swaps

My neighbor just broke his old iPhone 5C which is used on his Verizon postpaid account. He likes the smaller iPhone size and wants to buy a used replacement. I have seen some great pricing on the iPhone SE for Verizon prepaid use. Can he just swap sims and be good to go, or is there more to it than just?

Feedback Score
    should have no problems in swapping phones.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score

IPnone SIM swaps

Quote Originally Posted by nikful View Post
    My neighbor just broke his old iPhone 5C which is used on his Verizon postpaid account. He likes the smaller iPhone size and wants to buy a used replacement. I have seen some great pricing on the iPhone SE for Verizon prepaid use. Can he just swap sims and be good to go, or is there more to it than just?
    You can't just buy a brand new Verizon iPhone SE and put a post paid SIM card in. You have to pay at least $70 on the prepaid part to off set the subsidy. Or if they buy a used one that had already met the said requirement, then they will be able to put a post paid SIM card in because the phone should be unlocked now. Does that make sense?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icdvtrvt View Post
    You can't just buy a brand new Verizon iPhone SE and put a post paid SIM card in. You have to pay at least $70 on the prepaid part to off set the subsidy. Or if they buy a used one that had already met the said requirement, then they will be able to put a post paid SIM card in because the phone should be unlocked now. Does that make sense?
    This is not correct.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score

IPnone SIM swaps

Quote Originally Posted by gigahurtz View Post
    This is not correct.
    How so. Please explain.

Feedback Score
    How so. Please explain.
    The scenario you described only applies to the prepaid box phones. Like your e4, j7, the phones you see sold in the nice Verizon prepaid boxes at Walmart and Best buy.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score

IPnone SIM swaps

Quote Originally Posted by ksych1 View Post
    The scenario you described only applies to the prepaid box phones. Like your e4, j7, the phones you see sold in the nice Verizon prepaid boxes at Walmart and Best buy.
    Huh? Not sure what you're trying to say here. There is subsidized Verizon prepaid iphone SE at Best Buy and on the Verizon website for $200 that you have to pay for a couple months in order to unlock it.

Feedback Score
    Huh? Not sure what you're trying to say here.
    Pretty self explanatory.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksych1 View Post
    Pretty self explanatory.
    Yeah clear as mud.

Feedback Score
    Huh? Not sure what you're trying to say here.
    Here, I'll try again. All phones sold by Verizon for prepaid use don't fall under the same "must pay blah blah for subsidy" rules. Those rules only apply to heavily discounted prepaid "box" phones. Such as you Moto e4, or your Samsung j7. Doesn't apply to the iPhone. In fact the iPhone should be 100% unlocked once he receives it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    verizon wireless.com:

This device is considered a 4G Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid. We do not lock our 4G devices, other than our 4G Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid phones. In order to partially offset the subsidy we provide to make our 4G Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid phones more affordable to service customers, our 4G Phone-in-a-Box phones may only be used with Verizon Prepaid service for 1 year from original activation date or until payments in the amount specified on the back of the Phone-in-a-Box package are added to the Prepaid account.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    verizon wireless.com:

This device is considered a 4G Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid. We do not lock our 4G devices, other than our 4G Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid phones. In order to partially offset the subsidy we provide to make our 4G Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid phones more affordable to service customers, our 4G Phone-in-a-Box phones may only be used with Verizon Prepaid service for 1 year from original activation date or until payments in the amount specified on the back of the Phone-in-a-Box package are added to the Prepaid account.
    Yup if it comes in a box like this

Or this

It will be locked to Verizon prepaid for 12 months or until the service requirement of payment is met. $70 bucks or whatever it is. If it doesn't come in a box like that, it will (or should at least) be unlocked out of the box and free to use anywhere you want. The iPhone was never a prepaid box phone.

Feedback Score
    I have $800 Verizon GCs I want to use toward an iPhone 8 Plus order. If I tell them I want a Pre Paid plan, there's no credit check and I'm not committed beyond the first month?

The phone will be unlocked? I will use it on T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
    I have $800 Verizon GCs I want to use toward an iPhone 8 Plus order. If I tell them I want a Pre Paid plan, there's no credit check and I'm not committed beyond the first month?

The phone will be unlocked? I will use it on T-Mobile.
    Yes and yes. There is no difference between the postpaid and prepaid version of the iPhone 8.

Feedback Score
    Seems the only difference would be with the plans, prepaid = no credit check. I have my Credit Bureaus frozen, and can't tell which one they'll pull. If Equifax the unfreeze is free for another month.

With prepaid the phone are unlocked as well. Are they identical to the unlocked ones at Apple?

Any better use of $800 Verizon GCs? I guess I could wait for the X, but how long will the wait be buying for prepaid?

I'd probably have to let them think it's postpaid and get a plan for a month.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast