Thread: Non-Expiring Pre-Paid or Pay As You Go Options?

Feedback Score

Non-Expiring Pre-Paid or Pay As You Go Options?

I travel from the UK to the US several times a year - specially to NYC. I have an unlocked iPhone so usually just walk into an AT&T store and pick up a cheap pay as you go SIM. This gives me the flexibility I need over an average two week stay.

The issue is I have to do this every time I visit because it's usually months in between visits and the number assigned to the SIM expires. Is there any way I can get a SIM that means I don't have to go through this every time I visit but also doesn't require a contract? No sense in my paying for a SIM every month that I'm only going to use a few times a year.

Device(s)
    LG G Stylo
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you travel several times a year you may want to investigate pay as you go MVNOs. It might be more convenient to pay a little more for an annual plan from Red Pocket Mobile ($99/year) where you have your choice of all four networks found in the U.S. This plan is only available on eBay.

Or you may want to use Google Voice where you are assigned a phone number.

Feedback Score
    You might want to consider Truphone's prepaid sim which never expires, and works in both the UK and US (plus many other countries). IIRC, you need to use the account once every three months or something, but that will only deplete your balance by 36 cents a year!

Feedback Score
    Great thanks - Have ordered a SIM from Truphone and will see how that goes

Feedback Score
    If you don't mind the 9c a min for truphone it is an excellent choice. Free incoming calls and texts. I've used it in the UK and USA and it works great. You are supposed to use it once every 180 days to prevent suspension but I've forgotten a few times and nothing bad happened.

Also consider getting a US google voice number and continuing buying att sims when you get here. You can set it up so that no matter what sim you have in calls will be from and to your gv number over cellular. You can also use hangouts over data.

Feedback Score
    If you don't need great call quality, and have modest data usage, you can buy a FreedomPop sim, add 10 "friends" to increase your data allotment, opt-out of all the paid service options, and then make calls and send texts with Hangouts (sign-up for a Google Voice account and select a number). It's fairly cheap up-front (look for links on Slickdeals), with no monthly fees. In fact with your intermittent usage, you might be a good fit for $3/mo rollover data, if you need more than the 700MB/mo available for free.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_vibe View Post
    Great thanks - Have ordered a SIM from Truphone and will see how that goes

Well, you got your problem answered and solved in less than 45 minutes.
    I second the Truphone suggestion since you can also test it in the UK and make sure it works.
    Also people in the USA could call you on a US phone number and you would not have to pay anything to receive it other
    than having it in a working phone.