Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AT&T selling some Band 71 lic. T-Mobile should pick up a few.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Powertron View Post
    Probably:

1. Low band antennas have to support wider range of frequencies 600..900 vs current 700..900 MHz. Not only AT&T will have to replace antennas but it's always harder to design antennas that perform well across wider range of frequencies. Antennas could be more expensive or their number have to be increased.
    2. Complexity of radio.
    3. Intermodulation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermodulation Verizon said B13 and 600 MHz produce intermodulation that lands in B5 (850 MHz). The same problem most likely affects B14 (FirstNet) and 600 MHz combination.
    Well the fact that AT&T is still keeping a lot of Band 71 like in Dallas, Atlanta, Washington DC, Philly, San Fran, San Jose and many others that doesn't change the Complexity of every cell phone AT&T customers sells will need Band 71 supported. The only answer is that AT&T doesn't feel like they need Band 71 in the locations where they are selling it since they still have to fully support Band 71 from the customers perspective.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Well the fact that AT&T is still keeping a lot of Band 71 like in Dallas, Atlanta, Washington DC, Philly, San Fran, San Jose and many others that doesn't change the Complexity of every cell phone AT&T customers sells will need Band 71 supported. The only answer is that AT&T doesn't feel like they need Band 71 in the locations where they are selling it since they still have to fully support Band 71 from the customers perspective.
    AT&T has so much capacity as it is. Selling some of its 71 licenses won’t hurt them one bit

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The Federal Communications Commission rejected a complaint by SiriusXM claiming T-Mobile US was responsible for solving interference issues near its towers. As part of the ruling, the FCC gave T-Mobile US permission to sell some of its spectrum to Verizon Wireless.
    I looked it up to refresh my memory. Sirius objected to a transfer of licenses based on their claim that T-Mobile was interfering with their satellite service. The FCC ruled that, in any case, it was the wrong way to pursue the complaint and let the transfer proceed. It doesn't seem that Sirius got traction with their complaint anywhere else, either.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    AT&T has so much capacity as it is. Selling some of its 71 licenses won’t hurt them one bit
    Then why was AT&T stupid enough to buy that spectrum in the first place since they only got the license in May of this year?

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    My guess is it would have been a backup plan but when they starting to think they would get the firstnet deal the spectrum wasn't as important. Not sure of how the two time frames matched up but that's what it seemed like to me

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I seem to recall Sirius XM complaining that T-Mobile's signals were creating an intermodulation that was blocking their signals near T-Mobile antennas. There was some big kerfuffle about this a while back. They wanted T-Mobile to fix the issue but T-Mobile said it was a problem with Sirius' receivers. Of course, in that case you're talking about a very weak signal from a satellite with a very slim link margin. I guess Sirius' complaint went nowhere.
    Its crazy you say that, there is an AT&T/Sprint tower at the front of my neighbourhood and literally when I'm beside it my satellite will cut out shortly. I noticed it did that after they added the AT&T equipment on.

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Device(s)
    Google Pixel XL, OnePlus 5, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI, T-Mobile, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodpd View Post
    Its crazy you say that, there is an AT&T/Sprint tower at the front of my neighbourhood and literally when I'm beside it my satellite will cut out shortly. I noticed it did that after they added the AT&T equipment on.
    I've had some Sirius XM channels go out near heavy tree cover/foliage as well.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Yep. I use Sirius XM.

Driving around all day I get interference all over the place. Better than it used to be but still a problem.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Yep. I use Sirius XM.

Driving around all day I get interference all over the place. Better than it used to be but still a problem.
    The end result was the FCC told Sirius XM to build in a better filter into the radio's that receive their signal.

FCC rules in favor of T-Mobile US in SiriusXM spectrum dispute T-Mobile US has claimed all along it is using its spectrum in accordance with current regulations and it is the satellite radio provider’s responsibility to redesign its radios to fix the interference problems.

Feedback Score
    Then why was AT&T stupid enough to buy that spectrum in the first place since they only got the license in May of this year?
    'Powertron' already answered this question on the previous page, though not in detail, so here's the longer version.

AT&T initially bid on 600 MHz before the FirstNet contract was awarded. After AT&T learned that they had won FirstNet, they tried to drop out of the 600 MHz auction by lowering the number of blocks they wanted to zero in every PEA in every subsequent bidding round, but the auction rules would only allow a bidder to reduce the number of blocks for which they were the 'presumptive winning bidder' if there was sufficient demand (at the current price or higher) from other bidders. There was never enough demand for the licenses AT&T was eventually forced to purchase, so they ended up paying almost $1 billion for spectrum they didn't want.

AT&T wasn't "stupid" for bidding on 600 MHz before they knew the FirstNet results, because if they hadn't placed bids from the very beginning the auction rules would have prevented them from bidding later had they not won the FirstNet contract. IOW, the auction rules worked as intended to the FCC's advantage and, in this case, to AT&T's disadvantage and now they are trying to reduce their losses by selling off some of their unwanted 600 MHz licenses to a speculator who made an offer AT&T found acceptable.

BTW, for those hoping T-Mobile buys some of these licenses, it is possible that AT&T wouldn't consider any offer from a direct competitor 'acceptable'.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    If AT&T wants to sell the C-block in Dallas, T-Mobile might be wise to buy. That would give them a near nationwide footprint in the C-block. This could permit the creative use of HAPs to provide rural coverage.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VISIT0R View Post
    'Powertron' already answered this question on the previous page, though not in detail, so here's the longer version.
    Great explanation. So they likely bid on far more 600 where they ended up getting out-bid since they stopped raising their bids when B14 came through?

Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    If AT&T wants to sell the C-block in Dallas, T-Mobile might be wise to buy. That would give them a near nationwide footprint in the C-block. This could permit the creative use of HAPs to provide rural coverage.
    And why would they need a HAP when they could use a 250' steel tower like everyone else uses?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    .....And why would they need a HAP when they could use a 250' steel tower like everyone else uses?
    Distance to the horizon from 250' is 19.4 mi. From a HAP it's something on the order of 300 mi. In theory one HAP can cover as much area as 239 250' towers. Not that you'd use it to replace all those towers but rather to augment them by providing some service to otherwise unserved areas.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 10-31-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    So they likely bid on far more 600 where they ended up getting out-bid since they stopped raising their bids when B14 came through?
    Yes, AT&T originally bid on far more 600 MHz spectrum than they were eventually forced to buy.

BTW, AT&T could reduce their demand in a PEA, even to zero, without "getting out-bid" if there was already more demand (at the same price or higher) than licenses available. For example, in Stage 1 (the only stage when AT&T was actively bidding) there were 10 blocks available in most PEAs, so if all other bidders wanted at least 10 blocks then AT&T could drop its demand to zero. OTOH, if AT&T had previously bid on 4 blocks and the total demand when they tried to drop out would have gone from 11 blocks to 7 blocks, then AT&T would only be allowed to reduce their demand to 3 blocks, so that the total demand would not drop below the minimum of the previous total demand (11) or the number of blocks available (10.)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Yep. I use Sirius XM.

What type of interference issues are you seeing?

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast