Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Frequently loosing data access

Device(s)
    HP Veer
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score

Frequently loosing data access

I setup Sprint service with a new Moto G5s Plus a few days ago and I've had to reboot my phone several times because data doesn't work. Sometimes it shows an X next to the signal meter: https://imgur.com/Mva1DOZ

Is there anything that can be done to fix it? Is it possible they activated the wrong SIM card? I bought the boost mobile 3 SIM kit and the people at Sprint don't seem to understand that different phones need different SIM cards. If their system allows them to active the wrong SIM card it's possible that's what happened.

/edit: rebooted and data worked for a minute and stopped. No X.
    More Bars in More Places.

Feedback Score
    How good does boost mobile
    Work in your area ??
    Did you try updating the prl
    And does your phone have all
    The latest updates.

Feedback Score
    Try Settings / Activate this Device / Reset Cellular Data (in menu icon in upper right).

You might have the right sim, but the wrong ICCID entered in your account.

You can use tech. support chat and they will help you resolve it. I am talking it that you are on Sprint (not Boost), is that right?

By the way you say "they activated the wrong sim card". Were the one that put the sim card in the phone or if not who did? Which sim was used?

According to Ting's chart, the correct sim card for is SIMGLW416Q (SIMOLW416Q would be equivalent).

This part is included in the Boost kit (which of course is good fot Sprint also).

https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/artic...-Your-SIM-Card
    Last edited by comintel; 10-21-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Device(s)
    HP Veer
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    Tried the network reset and it didn't help. Chat told me it must be an in-building coverage issue but it happens outdoors too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    Tried the network reset and it didn't help. Chat told me it must be an in-building coverage issue but it happens outdoors too.
    Does it say LTE or 3G next the bars?

Try taking it to a strong signal area (where you get full bars - near a tower or outside a Sprint store) and see if it happens there too.

Also if you did not see I updated my earlier post with the correct sim part number to check.

Make sure roaming is ENABLED (temporarily while testing at least).

Install SignalCheck and LTE Discovery from the Play Store to study signal levels.

If the problem ends up being mainly indoors you can maybe/probably get them to give you a free Magic Box booster if you bug them.
    Last edited by comintel; 10-21-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Device(s)
    HP Veer
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    It says LTE. I doubt there's any place that gets perfect signal but the signal is not the issue. I'm actually getting a decent signal. There's no way with -114 dBm / -9 RSRQ that it's a signal issue to have absolutely no data connection. The issue is even with good signal the phone shows LTE but does not have a data connection. Sometimes when this happens it shows an X on the signal meter and sometimes it doesn't. It's happened inside my house and 20 miles away while outdoors.

Also everywhere I go speeds are erratic. Mostly they stay around 10 down 1 up, but sometimes a speed test shows 50 down and 5 up. Upload is always very slow no matter where I am.

Feedback Score
    I agree and those details are useful. The cause is not obvious and it is only by getting into them in depth that your problem can be found. I think you need to closely track in SignalCheck and Lte Discovery for patterns.

Try setting it to CDMA only and see what happens. Again, this is a test to look for indications of whee the problem lies.

Did you check that the sim you have is 416Q?

Device(s)
    HP Veer
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I have that SIM.

I tried to call someone and the call dropped twice.

Device(s)
    HP Veer
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    Does Sprint block data if I put the SIM in the wrong device? I put the SIM in my laptop and configure the APN as cinet.spcs and I get an IP address but no data access. I try to do the official swap on sprint.com but it says Hmmm… this number doesn't match our records, please try again.

Feedback Score
    If it is a universal phone (unlocked) you can test it out on another carrier simultaneouly by swapping sims back and forth. Sprint has a 15 day money back satisfaction guarantee so can bear that in mind.

I do not think you answered me as to whether you have roaming enabled.

You have also not said what kind of signal other carriers have there if you know.

Feedback Score
    You cannot move the sim casually on Sprint. Activation is my Imei. Not by sim.

Device(s)
    HP Veer
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    Yes, roaming is enabled. Not sure how that would make a difference, I'm in a big city with no small carriers and nobody offers roaming here.

AT&T signal is great, T-Mobile signal is about the same as Sprint, and Verizon signal is somewhere between not so great and T-Mobile/Sprint but I haven't tried their service in years.

I've read you can swap a Sprint SIM and get LTE data only. It's very strange I can get as far as connected with an IP address.

Feedback Score
    Yes, roaming is enabled. Not sure how that would make a difference, I'm in a big city with no small carriers and nobody offers roaming here.

AT&T signal is great, T-Mobile signal is about the same as Sprint, and Verizon signal is somewhere between not so great and T-Mobile/Sprint but I haven't tried their service in years.
    I've read you can swap a Sprint SIM and get LTE data only. It's very strange I can get as far as connected with an IP address.
    It would have to be the right sim card for the tablet to start with.

Maybe you may be better off with AT&T or say Cricket then.

Device(s)
    HP Veer
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    I don't think it's normal for data connections to not work with a strong signal. The dropped calls are strange too. I just got back from a store that's a few miles from my house and right next to a major highway and with even better signal it's still doing the same thing. I also forgot to mention this was happening near my office 20 miles away.

I tried to chat with Sprint to officially swap they device and they said my laptop isn't compilable with Sprint which it totally wrong. Is there any way to check what SIM this IMEI # requires?

Feedback Score
    I don't think it's normal for data connections to not work with a strong signal. The dropped calls are strange too. I just got back from a store that's a few miles from my house and right next to a major highway and with even better signal it's still doing the same thing. I also forgot to mention this was happening near my office 20 miles away.

I tried to chat with Sprint to officially swap they device and they said my laptop isn't compilable with Sprint which it totally wrong. Is there any way to check what SIM this IMEI # requires?
    Well the phone could be defective or provisioned incorrectly. They may be willing to re-provision it.

I posted the link to the Ting chart which shows sim required for each phone and tablet in an earlier post in this thread..

It is https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/artic...-Your-SIM-Card

What is the tablet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast