Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Samsung Galaxy S8 Active might be the next band 71 Device coming to T-Mobile

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and iPhone 11 PRO Max 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

The Samsung Galaxy S8 Active might be the next band 71 Device coming to T-Mobile

https://www.tmonews.com/2017/10/sams...nd-71-support/

Small excerpt from article: There are no mentions of T-Mobile in this FCC filing, but lately there have been some leaks suggesting that the Galaxy S8 Active is coming to T-Mo. Plus, T-Mobile has said that it will release a Samsung smartphone with LTE Band 71 support in Q4 2017. It’s looking like the GS8 Active will be that device.
    Manners cost nothing, and also have the added benefit of making a man. You know, it is entirely possible to rise above others, without stooping to pushing them under, and putting them down.
    My Sister is a supervisor at T-Mobile's Salem Oregon Call center. Loyal T-Mobile customer of 15 Years.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Interesting that this phone specs LTE band-7, which AFAIK isn't used in the US, but not band-1.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trees12 View Post
    https://www.tmonews.com/2017/10/sams...nd-71-support/

Small excerpt from article: There are no mentions of T-Mobile in this FCC filing, but lately there have been some leaks suggesting that the Galaxy S8 Active is coming to T-Mo. Plus, T-Mobile has said that it will release a Samsung smartphone with LTE Band 71 support in Q4 2017. It’s looking like the GS8 Active will be that device.
    Yes Sir! Good find Trees!

Looks like this will be the case. It will be the SM-G892U and not the SM-G892A(AT&T). Along with B71, it will also support LTE-U and LTE-LAA bands. I was combing through the FCC data base and found the 892U

Attachment 154701

Feedback Score
    I might find myself reconsidering this new Active.

I'd been pretty gung ho on the LG V30, but I have yet to see a report that it is great with low-light photographs in its quick/average/default settings. The fragility (observed by me) and the flaky POLED screens don't help.

And they make the best wallet available for it!

https://www.izengate.com/products/sa...RoCXN4QAvD_BwE

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    It will be the SM-G892U and not the SM-G892A(AT&T). Along with B71, it will also support LTE-U and LTE-LAA bands. I was combing through the FCC data base and found the 892U
    I wonder if "U" means unlocked. So it's not a T-Mobile specific version.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I might find myself reconsidering this new Active.

I'd been pretty gung ho on the LG V30
    Same here. I even have my case, so that when the price drops, I'm all set. However the active wouldn't even need a case. I'm thinking about it too now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieAl View Post
    Same here. I even have my case, so that when the price drops, I'm all set. However the active wouldn't even need a case. I'm thinking about it too now.
    I have a case on my old S7 Active, but it's a very slim/thin one. I want the phone to have resale value.

The Actives have a plastic screen that is supposed to scratch easily ... I wouldnt know, I put a glass protector on it.

As for the V30, hopefully they will get the screen color/display issues resolved by the time the price drops.

It's good that it looks like there will be, soon, two future-proof (i.e. Band 71) premium phone choices on T-Mobile... With at least a few more by this time next year.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I noticed that this phone had CDMA and a bunch of non-T-Mobile bands. I'd be really interested if Samsung were to make a "universal" phone, to compete with the Nexus or Moto G5+. I'm not to interested in phones that are crippled and bloated before they are sold by carriers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I noticed that this phone had CDMA and a bunch of non-T-Mobile bands. I'd be really interested if Samsung were to make a "universal" phone, to compete with the Nexus or Moto G5+. I'm not to interested in phones that are crippled and bloated before they are sold by carriers.
    Yeah, I was burned with the AT&T-only Samsung Galaxy S7 Active. Even though I got it unlocked, it won't really work on T-Mobile that well. I am keeping it for a little longer for just its camera before I get rid of it.

I'm rocking a Moto G5 Plus on T-Mobile, but unfortunately its camera isn't that rocking, so I take the old S7 Active along when I want really good photos.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    To this point the Galaxy "Active" line have been sold exclusively by AT&T. So that Galaxy S8 Active exclusivity clause to AT&T contract must me about to end before it goes to T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Yes, that's what it stands for. They use the U designation for their Unlocked by Samsung model numbers:

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ph...1+hv1rp+troze/

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Yes, that's what it stands for. They use the U designation for their Unlocked by Samsung model numbers:

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ph...1+hv1rp+troze/
    Samsung uses U for carrier specific models as well https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ph...1+hv1rp+tro8y/

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Interesting that this phone specs LTE band-7, which AFAIK isn't used in the US, but not band-1.
    If you look at the other bands, it is only showing North American bands, not international bands. I'm sure it will have LTE B1, and a bunch of others for international use. Rogers and probably other carriers use B7 in Canada, so it's a North American band, even though it's not a band in use in the US.

That thing has B13, so that looks like an unlocked version.

Sadly, there are no universal Android phones because AT&T breaks it for the other two. They won't activate VoLTE and VoWiFi on most unbranded Android devices, including the Galaxy S line. It's a jerk move, so it makes the iPhone the only true unlocked universal phone that will work on all three VoLTE carriers, although it doesn't have B71 yet, so it's not truly universal. That's a huge plus for the iPhone, as Apple calls the shots on it, and won't let AT&T play any stupid games, although now with B71, it's not really universal to T-Mobile either. Then there are good phones like the Moto G5 that don't have a home. No B71 on T-Mobile, no VoLTE, VoWiFi, B29, or B30 on AT&T, and no VoWiFi or International Day Pass on Verizon. These carriers have turned this stuff into a nightmare.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    If you look at the other bands, it is only showing North American bands, not international bands. I'm sure it will have LTE B1, and a bunch of others for international use. Rogers and probably other carriers use B7 in Canada, so it's a North American band, even though it's not a band in use in the US.

That thing has B13, so that looks like an unlocked version.

Sadly, there are no universal Android phones because AT&T breaks it for the other two. They won't activate VoLTE and VoWiFi on most unbranded Android devices, including the Galaxy S line. It's a jerk move, so it makes the iPhone the only true unlocked universal phone that will work on all three VoLTE carriers, although it doesn't have B71 yet, so it's not truly universal. That's a huge plus for the iPhone, as Apple calls the shots on it, and won't let AT&T play any stupid games, although now with B71, it's not really universal to T-Mobile either. Then there are good phones like the Moto G5 that don't have a home. No B71 on T-Mobile, no VoLTE, VoWiFi, B29, or B30 on AT&T, and no VoWiFi or International Day Pass on Verizon. These carriers have turned this stuff into a nightmare.
    Unlocked Moto G5 Plus has VoLTE. Just set one up for my dad on Verizon, and made sure to enable that.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Sadly, there are no universal Android phones because AT&T breaks it for the other two. They won't activate VoLTE and VoWiFi on most unbranded Android devices, including the Galaxy S line.
    That's because these devices didn't pass VoLTE and VoWiFi certification. It's up to device manufacturer to do that. AT&T network doesn't really need VoLTE and VoWiFi. They are nice to have but not critical like on T-Mobile and Verizon networks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast