Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pixel 2 VOLTE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balleron24z View Post
    You do realize that Google (and HTC and LG) had to add the proper IMS configuration to the Pixel 2 for the AT&T network, right? It's not all AT&T. I will admit, AT&T needs to quit this whitelist garbage, but it's not all them. It's up to manufacturers to implement the IMS configuration for carrier networks. The only reason T-Mobile is so "open" about it is because VoLTE is required for band 12 accessibility on their network, and the only reason Verizon is so "open" to it is because 1) you can't do simultaneous data and voice without VoLTE on their network and 2) Verizon requires devices to be certified for their network, and it's mandatory (now) that IMS/VoLTE be implemented for phones to use their network (since they're decomming CDMA in the near future).
    I think android 7 and up should have the IMS configuration set up already in their IMS settings once the sim card inserted i know because I saw it it already set up on my unlocked devices but the IMS switch is off and you have to manually turn it on but some carriers block the switch like at&t but it works with other devices just not all of them.

and i agree with you tmobile uses B12 for volte calls every time i make a call the device will connect to B12 - volte call so I think tmobile only use b12 for calls and not other frequency? but B12 will get easily congested if many people call at same location thats why people from tmobile gets choppy call quality at times but dont quote me on that.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyethur View Post
    okay it may or may not work with at&t network because with samsung devices that sold in the USA the IMS settings under shortcut master is blocked but those with other carrier branded phones or international unlocked will able to use IMS settings on at&t network it did work with galaxy s7 unlocked international version using HD voice at&t but you have to turn the hidden settings on.. IMS carrier configuration is the same thing as APN settings if your device can automatically choose the APN then it may also automotically set the IMS settings but it is turn off.. What carriers do is that if not listed they turn off the IMS switch off even though the settings are already there I know because I saw it on the phone it shows provision on at&t network but the switch is off has to manually turn on.. Again, it may or may not work with any phones or any carrier theres nothing bad if you try it..

AT&T branded galaxy s6 phone works with Tmobile network HD voice and video call it does not work if you just turn it on via settings menu you have to use the app hidden menu to turn it ON..

ALL android devices with same version should work exact same thing with pixel unless the manufacturer blocks some certain features of the Operating system.. I heard that in future android OS at&t will include in the OS configuration for their VOLTE settings.
    Samsung phones are different, in that they use a modified IMS stack. Their phones have the IMS Settings app installed that's accessible via an Activity (which can be added by apps like Shortcut Master or QuickShortcutMaker). Other phones may have that, but it's the OEM's choice on how it's implemented and if it's even accessible. The Pixel 2 / 2 XL, for example, has no such app that allows for changing configuration. The IMS stack is hands-off on their firmware, as I'm sure many other phones are the same way. AT&T specifically had Samsung block the IMS Settings app on the unlocked US variant of their phone when an AT&T SIM is inserted strictly to protect carrier profit.

Once Android is more standardized (and I believe Treble will help with this a WHOLE lot), the IMS stack will be more universal across devices, and Google may be able to implement the IMS configuration for all carriers across AOSP. Hard to tell, as carrier testing will most likely still need to be done before a phone can access IMS on a given network, but it's possible. I believe I read an article where GSMA wants to standardize carrier profiles on devices so that when you pop a SIM in a phone, the proper profile is automatically downloaded and services are provisioned. Read more here.

I think android 7 and up should have the IMS configuration set up already in their IMS settings once the sim card inserted i know because I saw it it already set up on my unlocked devices but the IMS switch is off and you have to manually turn it on but some carriers block the switch like at&t but it works with other devices just not all of them.

and i agree with you tmobile uses B12 for volte calls every time i make a call the device will connect to B12 - volte call so I think tmobile only use b12 for calls and not other frequency? but B12 will get easily congested if many people call at same location thats why people from tmobile gets choppy call quality at times but dont quote me on that.
    LTE bands have nothing to do with VoLTE (and IMS) as far as functionality depending on the LTE band you use. The reason T-Mobile requires VoLTE to be working for a phone to be able to access band 12 is because there are areas where T-Mobile only has LTE on band 12, with no fall-back network (in areas they didn't deploy GSM or UMTS). If a person were in an area where band 12 was the only band deployed, and a phone didn't have VoLTE access, it would be data and SMS only, no calling, which is a huge liability. It would mean that person couldn't call 911 if an emergency happened, and the FCC would fine T-Mobile into the pits of hell. VoLTE works universally across LTE bands (like on T-Mobile, bands 2, 4, 12, 66, and when it rolls out more, 71), and is agnostic to LTE bands. VoLTE calls transition between LTE bands the same way data connections do (because really, VoLTE is just voice over IP, aka a data session). LTE bands have nothing to do with it, other than you want a phone that supports all LTE bands of the carrier you choose so that you can ensure optimal performance on a carrier network.
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7, iPhone 6+, Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If a person were in an area where band 12 was the only band deployed, and a phone didn't have VoLTE access, it would be data and SMS only, no calling, which is a huge liability. It would mean that person couldn't call 911 if an emergency happened, and the FCC would fine T-Mobile into the pits of hell.
    When placing a 911 call, phones will use ANY available band or carrier it can connect to. So for that person in a B12 area that needed to call 911, it would simply use AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, or whoever the phone can connect to.

It was more about ensuring that calls and data would work everywhere and not explaining to people how their data works but not their calls.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellfreak View Post
    When placing a 911 call, phones will use ANY available band or carrier it can connect to. So for that person in a B12 area that needed to call 911, it would simply use AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, or whoever the phone can connect to.

It was more about ensuring that calls and data would work everywhere and not explaining to people how their data works but not their calls.
    In theory, that's how it works. In actual practice (there are loads of online articles outlining this, and it wouldn't of been a big stink otherwise), though, if a phone is connected to T-Mobile's LTE network in an area where LTE is the only native network available, if a phone doesn't support VoLTE, the phone will not fall back. It stays on LTE and the call won't complete. I'm not making this up to cause an argument, this is what has been proven to happen for folks using band 12 devices that don't have VoLTE active (or available) and are in areas where there is no native fallback.

T-Mobile would've been in hot water with the FCC when they started rolling out LTE-only areas, because they were allowing devices with band 12 access that didn't have VoLTE to be used on their network, and when those devices were used in areas where LTE was the only native network available, calls wouldn't go out.

Here is an article of preference that outlines the issue: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08...ill-confusing/

Feedback Score
    Samsung phones are different, in that they use a modified IMS stack. Their phones have the IMS Settings app installed that's accessible via an Activity (which can be added by apps like Shortcut Master or QuickShortcutMaker). Other phones may have that, but it's the OEM's choice on how it's implemented and if it's even accessible. The Pixel 2 / 2 XL, for example, has no such app that allows for changing configuration. The IMS stack is hands-off on their firmware, as I'm sure many other phones are the same way. AT&T specifically had Samsung block the IMS Settings app on the unlocked US variant of their phone when an AT&T SIM is inserted strictly to protect carrier profit.

Once Android is more standardized (and I believe Treble will help with this a WHOLE lot), the IMS stack will be more universal across devices, and Google may be able to implement the IMS configuration for all carriers across AOSP. Hard to tell, as carrier testing will most likely still need to be done before a phone can access IMS on a given network, but it's possible. I believe I read an article where GSMA wants to standardize carrier profiles on devices so that when you pop a SIM in a phone, the proper profile is automatically downloaded and services are provisioned. Read more here.

LTE bands have nothing to do with VoLTE (and IMS) as far as functionality depending on the LTE band you use. The reason T-Mobile requires VoLTE to be working for a phone to be able to access band 12 is because there are areas where T-Mobile only has LTE on band 12, with no fall-back network (in areas they didn't deploy GSM or UMTS). If a person were in an area where band 12 was the only band deployed, and a phone didn't have VoLTE access, it would be data and SMS only, no calling, which is a huge liability. It would mean that person couldn't call 911 if an emergency happened, and the FCC would fine T-Mobile into the pits of hell. VoLTE works universally across LTE bands (like on T-Mobile, bands 2, 4, 12, 66, and when it rolls out more, 71), and is agnostic to LTE bands. VoLTE calls transition between LTE bands the same way data connections do (because really, VoLTE is just voice over IP, aka a data session). LTE bands have nothing to do with it, other than you want a phone that supports all LTE bands of the carrier you choose so that you can ensure optimal performance on a carrier network.
    "VoLTE calls transition between LTE bands the same way data connections do (because really, VoLTE is just voice over IP, aka a data session).. "

well VoLTE is data stream that reserve for voice and that is why it needs to have standards like IMS configuration it's like APN settings you cannot connect to internet without correct apn same with volte you cannot connect to VoLTE without IMS correct settings in the USA uses IMS standards. Now, volte on different networks works different ways and that is how VoLTE drop calls play is when the switch between network or interconnect conversion can mess the connection and drop the call. SOmehow their LTE has priority reserve for call data stream..

in terms on LTE HD voice AT&T is not implementing their HD voice on every towers that's why their HD voice coverage is different than LTE coverage that's what they claim when I asked their technician. So LTE bands do affect VOLTE in some forms in my opinion.. T-Mobile on other hand is implementing HD voice in both 3G and LTE i was able to confirm HSPA HD voice is active on my samsung s8 plus using metropcs. so HD voice coverage is wider on tmobile than at&t

When it comes to IMS setting maybe samsung only has IMS settings i havnt tried with other brand which I will try it soon but so far i do not see it on ZTE phone no sim card inserted..

I was using my cousin S6 edge plus AT&T branded phone using Tmobile simcard and VoLTE activated using IMS settings but I have noticed VoLTE calls only connect if the phone is connected to B12 or it Carrier aggregated with B12 I do not know if at&t only allows their phone to connect to B12 HD voice but that's how it looks like on the Service Mode But I cannot confirm that is true.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So LTE bands do affect VOLTE in some forms in my opinion....T-Mobile on other hand is implementing HD voice in both 3G and LTE....so HD voice coverage is wider on tmobile than at&t
    LTE bands do not affect whether VoLTE is available or not. The only thing LTE bands do is designate which frequency allocation data is transmitted across. What dictates VoLTE availability over LTE on AT&T's network is whether or not the equipment at the site has been software/hardware updated to the earliest release that supports SRVCC (can't remember the release number at the moment). AT&T have chosen not to roll out VoLTE in certain areas because either they don't see an immediate need (not enough customers in the area) or they feel it will take away from network accessibility in the area (too many holes in LTE coverage, for example). T-Mobile implemented HD voice on both their UMTS and LTE networks because they were small enough (at the time) that they could upgrade their entire network footprint with minimal financial and consumer impact. I'd still argue that "HD Voice" coverage on AT&T is more widespread, as T-Mobile still has a lot of catching up to do to cover more areas (that last-mileage coverage really counts), but I'm not gonna get into that on a forum post about Pixel 2 VoLTE access on AT&T.

When it comes to IMS setting maybe samsung only has IMS settings i havnt tried with other brand which I will try it soon but so far i do not see it on ZTE phone no sim card inserted..
    The "IMS Settings" APK is specific to Samsung phones, because it's software Samsung developed for their Android devices. Other phones (like ZTE, or the Google Pixel phones) use IMS as well, but they have the profiles/configurations stored in the OS configuration, without a way to modify/access them (at least, without root).

I was using my cousin S6 edge plus AT&T branded phone using Tmobile simcard and VoLTE activated using IMS settings but I have noticed VoLTE calls only connect if the phone is connected to B12 or it Carrier aggregated with B12 I do not know if at&t only allows their phone to connect to B12 HD voice but that's how it looks like on the Service Mode But I cannot confirm that is true.
    This is most likely because the IMS profile on the S6 edge+ is set to prefer circuit-switched voice over packet-switched voice. In situations where band 12 LTE is the only available network connection on T-Mobile, the phone will use packet-switched voice as VoLTE is packet-switched voice, and not circuit-switched. However, if the phone is in an area where UMTS or GSM are available, the phone is falling back to the circuit-switched networks for calls. I almost bet that's the reason for the phone not always using VoLTE. A quick trip to the IMS Settings and one could set packet-switched preferred, and the phone would most likely behave how all other phones behave.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score

Pixel 2 VOLTE

The real question no one has asked: is AT&T still throttling data speeds when a user is making a call and using data!?

Would be a shame to have VOLTE and throttled speeds when actually using it for data.

Also, does AT&T allow Wi-Fi calling in branded devices yet!? I left a little over 3 years ago, so I'm not as current.
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    The real question no one has asked: is AT&T still throttling data speeds when a user is making a call and using data!?

Would be a shame to have VOLTE and throttled speeds when actually using it for data.
    Wait. So I've suspected this has been happening for years. I first noticed with HSPA+ that data would seem slow. Ran a few speed tests and it was dramatically slower. Is it confirmed that AT&T slows data while on a call?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Pixel 2 VOLTE

Yep, it's been going on seemingly at least since the 3G days:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1784561

This was one of the things that led me down the path to leaving the death star.

Feedback Score
    LTE bands do not affect whether VoLTE is available or not. The only thing LTE bands do is designate which frequency allocation data is transmitted across. What dictates VoLTE availability over LTE on AT&T's network is whether or not the equipment at the site has been software/hardware updated to the earliest release that supports SRVCC (can't remember the release number at the moment). AT&T have chosen not to roll out VoLTE in certain areas because either they don't see an immediate need (not enough customers in the area) or they feel it will take away from network accessibility in the area (too many holes in LTE coverage, for example). T-Mobile implemented HD voice on both their UMTS and LTE networks because they were small enough (at the time) that they could upgrade their entire network footprint with minimal financial and consumer impact. I'd still argue that "HD Voice" coverage on AT&T is more widespread, as T-Mobile still has a lot of catching up to do to cover more areas (that last-mileage coverage really counts), but I'm not gonna get into that on a forum post about Pixel 2 VoLTE access on AT&T.

The "IMS Settings" APK is specific to Samsung phones, because it's software Samsung developed for their Android devices. Other phones (like ZTE, or the Google Pixel phones) use IMS as well, but they have the profiles/configurations stored in the OS configuration, without a way to modify/access them (at least, without root).

This is most likely because the IMS profile on the S6 edge+ is set to prefer circuit-switched voice over packet-switched voice. In situations where band 12 LTE is the only available network connection on T-Mobile, the phone will use packet-switched voice as VoLTE is packet-switched voice, and not circuit-switched. However, if the phone is in an area where UMTS or GSM are available, the phone is falling back to the circuit-switched networks for calls. I almost bet that's the reason for the phone not always using VoLTE. A quick trip to the IMS Settings and one could set packet-switched preferred, and the phone would most likely behave how all other phones behave.

HD voice has been implemented in all parts of the world in 3G and some even on 2G so i do not think tmobile implementing those because they were small and to think tmobile is the only carrier in the USA that always have newer technology and other carriers had to follow it anyways to compete customer impact..

And I still believe that AT&T is only implementing VoLTE on Band 17/12 only I have talked to several technicians and told me not all towers are built with HD voice. Here is the AT&T Galaxy s6 edge plus using HD voice on T-Mobile and it seems that VoLTE is only using it under Band 12. Yes i tried several calls and it always carrier aggregate it with Band 12 for VoLTE and it uses AMR-WB 12.65 so i know it is HD voice

Name:  20180114_195201.png
Views: 256
Size:  302.1 KB

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    HD voice has been implemented in all parts of the world in 3G and some even on 2G so i do not think tmobile implementing those because they were small and to think tmobile is the only carrier in the USA that always have newer technology and other carriers had to follow it anyways to compete customer impact..

And I still believe that AT&T is only implementing VoLTE on Band 17/12 only I have talked to several technicians and told me not all towers are built with HD voice. Here is the AT&T Galaxy s6 edge plus using HD voice on T-Mobile and it seems that VoLTE is only using it under Band 12. Yes i tried several calls and it always carrier aggregate it with Band 12 for VoLTE and it uses AMR-WB 12.65 so i know it is HD voice

Name:  20180114_195201.png
Views: 256
Size:  302.1 KB
    VoLTE is on every band deployed here in NYC. Plenty of phone calls on band 2 and 30. It's much more sensitive and drops to band 12 more aggressively.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blkballoon925 View Post
    Wait. So I've suspected this has been happening for years. I first noticed with HSPA+ that data would seem slow. Ran a few speed tests and it was dramatically slower. Is it confirmed that AT&T slows data while on a call?
    Data doesn't seem to be slowed any longer on HSPA+. On VoLTE, there is no carrier aggregation, of course speeds will be slower.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    How's your speed during calls Paul!?

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Data doesn't seem to be slowed any longer on HSPA+. On VoLTE, there is no carrier aggregation, of course speeds will be slower.

So you drop your aggregated channels when you take a call?

Didn't test HSPA+ today, but on LTE it's noticeable. I'm getting 48.8x4.19 when not on a call, but only 7.96x1.66 while on a call.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Again, wrong. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but there is too much misinformation going on in regards to carrier networks right now. AT&T doesn't deploy VoLTE aka "HD Voice" based on LTE bands deployed, they deploy VoLTE based on 1) LTE being available at all and 2) best user experience for a given market/area. Here's a screenshot to show you proof that band 12/17 is not required (and is not a staple) for VoLTE to be working. Notice I'm still connected to LTE when dialing customer service (611), but I'm definitely not on band 12/17. I'm also aggregating LTE bands (5 and 2) during my call. Albeit the call is using Narrowband AMR, but it's because I'm calling customer service and not a line that supports interconnection (read: a non-HD voice line).

Name:  Screenshot_20180120-153359.png
Views: 225
Size:  223.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Data doesn't seem to be slowed any longer on HSPA+. On VoLTE, there is no carrier aggregation, of course speeds will be slower.[/URL]
    Quote Originally Posted by blkballoon925 View Post
    So you drop your aggregated channels when you take a call?
    Didn't test HSPA+ today, but on LTE it's noticeable. I'm getting 48.8x4.19 when not on a call, but only 7.96x1.66 while on a call.
    Carrier aggregation works just fine when VoLTE is active and in use, as seen above in my screenshot. It could be per-handset and in different markets, may not be enabled, but here in Southern FL (and also in my home state of Virginia), it's worked fine. I haven't bothered to check anywhere else.

The most probable reason LTE is being "throttled" is due to the way VoLTE works. Voice calls over the LTE network are data streams. Meaning, the phone call is transmitting using the same transmission media and path as normal data (Netflix, Facebook, Spotify, etc.). The reason the speeds drop on call is because VoLTE is set up to prefer reliability and low-to-no jitter vs. throughput. As such, some throughput is lost to ensure the call remains reliable, smooth, with no break-up of audio. I just did a speedtest here in West Palm Beach near the airport, and unfortunately, I couldn't see much of a difference. I mainly noticed that when on a call, my download was around 3.3mbps, and off a call was 4.3mbps. Could be that I'm on a DAS and this is a very busy area, but I didn't notice enough of a difference.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast