Thread: Wausau, WI and T-Mobile buildout

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Wausau, WI and T-Mobile buildout

It seems that T-Mobile is trying to build their network in Wausau (central Wisconsin). In this area they roam on AT&T. They won 600 MHz spectrum in this area.

If you drive 30 - 45 mins south, or 1.5 hrs east or about an hour west you get native T-Mobile coverage.

US Cellular roams on Cellcom in this area. USC native coverage is about the same distances listed above, although not sure if they have native coverage in central western WI or not.

Sprint is here, but their network is umm, not so great.

http://www.wsaw.com/content/news/Sch...452755693.html

At any rate, NIMBYs are an issue.

Looking forward to the day when T-Mobile can cover WI-29 from Green Bay all the way to I-94.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is a map of where T-Mobile will deploy 600 Mhz in Wisconsin sometime in 2018. T-Mobile 600 MHz deployment map

Other parts of Wisconsin seem to have a lot of TV interference that is long wait for 600 Mhz. However that could change but there are no details.

Device(s)
    V9x
    Carrier(s)
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eakenn View Post
    It seems that T-Mobile is trying to build their network in Wausau (central Wisconsin). In this area they roam on AT&T. They won 600 MHz spectrum in this area.

If you drive 30 - 45 mins south, or 1.5 hrs east or about an hour west you get native T-Mobile coverage.

US Cellular roams on Cellcom in this area. USC native coverage is about the same distances listed above, although not sure if they have native coverage in central western WI or not.

Sprint is here, but their network is umm, not so great.

http://www.wsaw.com/content/news/Sch...452755693.html

At any rate, NIMBYs are an issue.

Looking forward to the day when T-Mobile can cover WI-29 from Green Bay all the way to I-94.

It looks like it is not so much NIMBY as it is "concerned" grandparents.

http://www.waow.com/story/36479691/2...na-atop-school

These parents/grandparents are totally misinformed, this is ridiculous!

John Marshall Elementary better not be using Wi-Fi or florescent lights. Wi-Fi and florescent lights expose these children to MUCH MORE RFI than this cell tower would have.

Not one person in Wausau better complain about not being able to use their cell phone in certain areas, they DON'T WANT coverage, and have made that very clear!

Wausau should be welcoming T-Mobile towers with open arms, not voting NO!

Cell towers are awesome, and should be allowed everywhere.

I would put one on my property in a second if given the opportunity again.

Hman

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    From the physics courses I had when in school it was clear that overall cell technology is low power from a radiation standpoint

I would rather have the coverage instead of the unnecessary worry about cell radiation. most parents would prob feel better about it if they got a crash course in ionizing and non ionizing radiation and how the power drops dramatically with distance, especially when looking at a handset against the head vs a few inches away

Either way they should be able to come up with a compromise that will help alleviate the fears while helping them out with a monthly return

Is radiation the big concern they are having or is aesthetics also a part of it?
    Last edited by themanhimself; 10-26-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Found this link on T-Mobile in Wisconsin that includes roaming on US Cellular in La Crosse area.

Wisconsin US Cellular Roaming Live?, Map Update

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    This is a map of where T-Mobile will deploy 600 Mhz in Wisconsin sometime in 2018. T-Mobile 600 MHz deployment map

Other parts of Wisconsin seem to have a lot of TV interference that is long wait for 600 Mhz. However that could change but there are no details.
    Looking at the situation, it appears that T-Mobile could deploy 10x10 MHz band 71 in and around Wausau today. The two interfering TV stations are on channels 46 and 38, which line up on block A and block A, B & C. Blocks D & E should be good to go.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    FWIW finally the T-Mobile network seems to work in Wausau. In fact I’m on it right now. Coverage is super inconsistent, and better outside than inside. Still have a bunch of wacky responses to coverage, but way better than nothing I guess.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    It does look kind of messy.
    Name:  Wausau.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  67.7 KB

Device(s)
    LG G8 Thinq
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The coverage maps even show it to be a bit weak in Wausau proper. Hopefully they add more towers in the future and maybe some B2. I guess if the Sprint merger goes though, the Sprint towers in the area can be used by T-Mobile. I seem to remember Sprint having decent coverage in the town itself back many years ago. It does look like T-Mobile has added a lot of B71 coverage in northern Wisconsin.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T, & T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I vaguely remember they applied to put a site up in the middle of town two years ago and it fell through because of a requirement by the city or something. I guess they've been looking for alternate locations?

Sent from my LM-G820 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Coming to the end of my test drive here in North Central Wisconsin and honestly the network needs a lot of work yet. The satellite backhaul used on a majority of their sites in the area performs terribly to the point where its unusable. B4 is deployed in Antigo and on most of the sites traveling south on Highway 45, with some pretty decent speeds peaking around 70Mbps. However, a majority of the sites are B71 only with some also having n71 along with the satellite backhaul. Keep in mind that these are towers which have fiber running into the other carriers equipment. Speeds top off around 20Mbps with ridiculously high latency and becomes very problematic on the cell edge. Density still leaves a lot to be desired but I'll give T-Mobile credit for expanding into such rural areas. Hopefully they'll switch more sites to fiber backhaul and deploy B4 on the majority of towers but until then I'm not too impressed.