Thread: Verizon brings back full-quality video streaming for $10 more

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Verizon brings back full-quality video streaming for $10 more

https://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-br...g-for-10-more/

I wonder if this will be available on the grandfathered $29.99/$49.99 unlimited data plan.

Regardless, there's not much point to it, since using a VPN gets around this.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    At least it's an option now. Great way for them to add additional revenue to their unlimited plans.

Thanks for sharing.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Now if they would copy AT&T and give us the option to disable it ! It's clear FCC violation and there was no notice of this at all . Well it got me out of a couple of contracts at least

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    Now if they would copy AT&T and give us the option to disable it ! It's clear FCC violation and there was no notice of this at all . Well it got me out of a couple of contracts at least
    But didn't that mean your gUDP went up by $20/mo?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post

I wonder if this will be available on the grandfathered $29.99/$49.99 unlimited data plan.
    I want to know this too. I am still being throttled to 3.8Mbps on fast.com.

Yeah but your average person doesn't know how to do that so most will just pay the $10 if it is a problem for them.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

I still wish they would've left fUDP plans alone and just did this going forward with the newer plans.

I suspect this isn't the end either as Lowell did say when fUDP came out that unlimited wasn't the end it was only the beginning. I suspect after this it will evolve into content/app based tiers like carriers have been having wet dreams about for years now.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+, LG G7 ThinQ, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier(VZ LTE)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Unfortunately, every VPN I've tried also significantly slows down speeds. No worries, I'm on the unlimited plan from February.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    I still wish they would've left fUDP plans alone and just did this going forward with the newer plans.

I suspect this isn't the end either as Lowell did say when fUDP came out that unlimited wasn't the end it was only the beginning. I suspect after this it will evolve into content/app based tiers like carriers have been having wet dreams about for years now.
    I don’t see how this would ever work, too many different things people do with their data connection. I think you will soon see Verizon push hard into selling over the top TV service.

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    But didn't that mean your gUDP went up by $20/mo?
    Nope the lines are all under contract and a couple are data only with no voice. I am being told by corporate that there will be no way to pay $10 more on my $34.99 data only lines.

Feedback Score
    Let’s hope Verizon raises the de prioritization from 22 to 32 gb on this plan. Also will video throttling be lifted since we all currently experience it ( I’m on the 24 GIG plan plus bonus data for life). So I’ll have to see what they offer. I knew we would see another tiered plan once they announced their promising Q3 results.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    I want to know this too. I am still being throttled to 3.8Mbps on fast.com.

Yeah but your average person doesn't know how to do that so most will just pay the $10 if it is a problem for them.

I was on the 5 GB $55 plan. Half the time I was throttled to around 3.8 but the other half I was seeing between 1.5 - 2.0. This was in areas where running a speed test would be between 50 and 75 Mbps. After going as far to even talk to tier 2 support they just blamed my phone and refuse to help so I put my money where my mouth is and walked away. Verizon is the only one of the big carriers to force these changes on existing customers without at least giving them an option to turn it off.

Don’t get me wrong if you want to change the rules for new customers such as what T-Mobile decided to do I fully understand that and at least you know when you choose to sign up with them what to expect. It’s people such as myself that did not sign up under these terms and had everything changed that I have the issue with. Add in The fact that in my area at least the throttle was going well beyond what it was supposed to do and that is just too much.

I am at least glad to see for those people who Verizon is there only choice that they at least now have an option.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Unfortunately, every VPN I've tried also significantly slows down speeds. No worries, I'm on the unlimited plan from February.
    VyprVPN is pretty fast.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baayers View Post
    I was on the 5 GB $55 plan. Half the time I was throttled to around 3.8 but the other half I was seeing between 1.5 - 2.0. This was in areas where running a speed test would be between 50 and 75 Mbps. After going as far to even talk to tier 2 support they just blamed my phone and refuse to help so I put my money where my mouth is and walked away. Verizon is the only one of the big carriers to force these changes on existing customers without at least giving them an option to turn it off.

Don’t get me wrong if you want to change the rules for new customers such as what T-Mobile decided to do I fully understand that and at least you know when you choose to sign up with them what to expect. It’s people such as myself that did not sign up under these terms and had everything changed that I have the issue with. Add in The fact that in my area at least the throttle was going well beyond what it was supposed to do and that is just too much.

I am at least glad to see for those people who Verizon is there only choice that they at least now have an option.
    The question remains though will Verizon keep the throttle on this plan or lift it ?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    The question remains though will Verizon keep the throttle on this plan or lift it ?
    Verizon is practically begging for a class-action lawsuit if they don't make the throttle optional on tiered plans. Customers should be able to use metered data as they see fit. This sort of unilateral quality degradation is only defensible on unlimited data plans.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

I don't know how anyone who has another option still uses Verizon.

I have one line left on a contract, $60 2GB loyalty plan, and Verizon basically told me I could go fornicate with myself when I called a few months ago and asked to be let out of my contract because of this material change.

If they would have allowed it, I probably would have just switched it to the 5GB single-line $55 plan. Since they were so cocky and rude about it, I'll be porting that line out in 49 days and counting and won't be looking back.

Today, I'd rather deal with Sprint than Verizon, and that's saying something considering I used to be one of VZW's biggest fans and how badly I detested Sprint.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast