Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Internet Settings

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Freedom Internet Settings

Here are the settings (APN's) to configure Data/MMS on your phone. Create two separate APN's: One for "Data" and one for "MMS"

Internet:

Name: Data
    APN: internet.freedommobile.ca
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 490
    APN Type: default,supl
    (Leave all other fields blank)

MMS:

Name: MMS
    APN: mms.freedommobile.ca
    MMSC: http://mms.freedommobile.ca
    MMS Proxy: 74.115.197.70
    MMS Port: 8080
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 490
    APN Type: mms
    (Leave all other fields blank)

Android:
    To input these on your Android Phone (may vary between different Android handsets):

(Ensure Mobile Data is turned on)
    Settings>Wireless and Networks>More...>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names>Click + or "New APN" (on some phones, this option might be hidden under a menu). Make sure you save the APN when finished!

I have recreated this process in visual form on my Nexus 6P running Android Oreo:

Name:  media-20171027.gif
Views: 8318
Size:  783.1 KB
    Last edited by qag01; 10-28-2017 at 02:23 AM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Mod edit: Thread stickied.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus (256GB). iPhone 6S Plus (128GB). iPad 6th Generation (2018) (128GB).
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    For Apple iPhone users (SE, 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus and X):

Under Carrier, make sure it's set to Automatic. There is only one option here. This setting is also required if you roam in the US and Canada

Under Cellular, select Cellular Data Options. Under Voice and Data select LTE. For anyone that does not have LTE on Bands 4, 7 and 13, it will fall back to 3G (which is what it's supposed to do. In the screenshots, that were added later, I'm on WiFi, and not using the network for data). Ignore the warning that comes up about the network not being certified. Once LTE is lit, then you won't have to switch it over. For 8 series users, and X, set this to LTE. This method does require a Profile-6 nano SIM Card and an LTE plan, even if you are using a legacy device. If I'm wrong, please correct me and I'll correct this. If you have Roaming enabled on your account with at least 1GB of data allowed (ie. grandfathered plans), turn this on. If you don't, then leave it off if you're concerned about running up your bill to astronomical levels.

Under Cellular Data Network, populate the following fields:

Cellular Data: internet.freedommobile.ca
    All other fields leave blank

LTE Setup (Optional): internet.freedommobile.ca
    All other fields leave blank.

MMS:
    Username and Password leave blank
    MMS Proxy: 74.115.197.70:8080
    MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

After all these fields are populated, restart the phone. You should be good to go.

If you're setting up your iPhone for the first time, keep in mind after registering with Apple, it could take upwards of 12-15 hours for iMessage to activate. Maybe less, but we'll ballpark the figure here. Should take no more than 24 hours. You will get a message when iMessage is activated.

FaceTime activation follows the same course as iMessage. Both are done at the same time.

Below are the screenshots from my phone that has the values that are entered as above (The full MMS was cut off in the APN screenshot, so another one is included with the MMS settings):
    Name:  VoiceData.jpg
Views: 7819
Size:  15.4 KB
    Name:  APN.jpg
Views: 8247
Size:  32.3 KB
    Name:  MMS.jpg
Views: 7918
Size:  30.9 KB
    Last edited by Driver8666; 10-29-2017 at 02:37 PM. Reason: several minor edits, and a moderator request for screenshots

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus (256GB). iPhone 6S Plus (128GB). iPad 6th Generation (2018) (128GB).
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Since I can't edit out the above post there is one other thing to add:

After updating your iPhone to the latest iOS (currently as I wrote this line 11.1), you may need to re-enter the APN for MMS. Same procedure as above if you can't send pics to non iPhone users.

Device(s)
    iPhone, a Nokia E62X2,3120b & 3100b now, then 6230b, 3590, 7190, 5190..
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (monthly, w/$30 promo data) on the E62s, Fido (PayasUgo) on the 3100b & SpeakOut on the 3120b
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You can also add the line internet.freedommobile.ca to the tethering category in those screens to use their network for tethering. I've used it now on their everything plan & my SE and 6s Plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8666 View Post
    For Apple iPhone users (SE, 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus and X):

Under Carrier, make sure it's set to Automatic. There is only one option here. This setting is also required if you roam in the US and Canada

Under Cellular, select Cellular Data Options. Under Voice and Data select LTE. For anyone that does not have LTE on Bands 4, 7 and 13, it will fall back to 3G (which is what it's supposed to do. In the screenshots, that were added later, I'm on WiFi, and not using the network for data). Ignore the warning that comes up about the network not being certified. Once LTE is lit, then you won't have to switch it over. For 8 series users, and X, set this to LTE. This method does require a Profile-6 nano SIM Card and an LTE plan, even if you are using a legacy device. If I'm wrong, please correct me and I'll correct this. If you have Roaming enabled on your account with at least 1GB of data allowed (ie. grandfathered plans), turn this on. If you don't, then leave it off if you're concerned about running up your bill to astronomical levels.

Under Cellular Data Network, populate the following fields:

Cellular Data: internet.freedommobile.ca
    All other fields leave blank

LTE Setup (Optional): internet.freedommobile.ca
    All other fields leave blank.

MMS:
    Username and Password leave blank
    MMS Proxy: 74.115.197.70:8080
    MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

After all these fields are populated, restart the phone. You should be good to go.

If you're setting up your iPhone for the first time, keep in mind after registering with Apple, it could take upwards of 12-15 hours for iMessage to activate. Maybe less, but we'll ballpark the figure here. Should take no more than 24 hours. You will get a message when iMessage is activated.

FaceTime activation follows the same course as iMessage. Both are done at the same time.

Below are the screenshots from my phone that has the values that are entered as above (The full MMS was cut off in the APN screenshot, so another one is included with the MMS settings):
    Name:  VoiceData.jpg
Views: 7819
Size:  15.4 KB
    Name:  APN.jpg
Views: 8247
Size:  32.3 KB
    Name:  MMS.jpg
Views: 7918
Size:  30.9 KB
    TWTA -<T>ill <W>e <T>ype <A>gain.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Noted. If anyone wants to use their iPhone for tethering, input internet.freedommobile.ca into the Personal Hotspot field. Exit out of the Cellular Data, and Cellular settings. You should now be able to turn "Personal Hotspot" on or off in your Personal Hotspot options.

By the way, change the password to something that you like.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My post on the iPhone Settings after the "Freedom Mobile 31.1" Carrier Update no longer applies. You will not be able to edit any APN settings after the Carrier Update is applied.

To apply this update (or any future updates), go to Settings and tap "About". If a Carrier Update is available you will be prompted to download it. If you feel like it, you can also restart your phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (monthly, w/$30 promo data) on the E62s, Fido (PayasUgo) on the 3100b & SpeakOut on the 3120b
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My post on the iPhone Settings after the "Freedom Mobile 31.1" Carrier Update no longer applies. You will not be able to edit any APN settings after the Carrier Update is applied.

To apply this update (or any future updates), go to Settings and tap "About". If a Carrier Update is available you will be prompted to download it. If you feel like it, you can also restart your phone.
    I just updated my iPhone SE from iOS 10.3.3 to 11.2 and ONLY after that update did the Freedom Carrier 31.1 update become available. my SE did not do the update at all from iOS 10.3.3. I'm therefore suspecting that all iPhones that stay with iOS 10.3.3 or older for whatever reason will not be able to use the Freedom 31.1 update. Hofo should keep this thread for those using older iPhones & those on iOS 10.3.3 or older.

Is there a way to edit a carrier settings update file? Jailbreaking?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Ya gotta admit though, these new settings do clean up the performance of an iPhone on Freedom very well....I've got the Everywhere 60 plan and now I can leave Away roaming going and have full, proper & simple control over if and when I use Away data and use it very effectively....

Device(s)
    Samsung Hype A256
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffob View Post
    Ya gotta admit though, these new settings do clean up the performance of an iPhone on Freedom very well....I've got the Everywhere 60 plan and now I can leave Away roaming going and have full, proper & simple control over if and when I use Away data and use it very effectively....
    Do I need to this for iPhone 8 or its plug and play automatically when sim is inserted

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kleptodathief View Post
    Do I need to this for iPhone 8 or its plug and play automatically when sim is inserted

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    It should now be automatic

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffob View Post
    Before you'd have to plug in the settings, now you don't. This will make VoWiFi even easier once it's implemented. It is a hell of a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by qag01 View Post
    It should now be automatic

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using HoFo mobile app
    I had to check for a Carrier Update. If he's setting up an 8, if it's not automatic, he can go into Settings/General/About to get the Carrier Settings downloaded.

Device(s)
    Motorola X Play
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Has anybody been able to get an iPad to work on LTE? In tmy case it is an iPad Pro 9.7", so it has Band 4 and Band 7. I have a SIM from Dec,2017 (after the iPhone launch). It is on the 10GB big gig data plan. It works fine on 3G using the old Wind APN settings.

I brought this up with the Freedom Customer Care Twitter group. They were for all intents and purposes, useless. They suggested that I get a Big Gig plan (already have it), a new SIM (already have it). They also suggested that I may need to change the APN settings manually, and to talk to tech support, I have called tech support, twice. First time, I was put on hold for 2 hours. Second call was for 3 hours. Still haven't talked to a human being. So this is the reason for the post.

Also, as per the post above, I have tried to see if there is a carrier update, and there isn't.

Device(s)
    LG V30
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kkritsilas View Post
    Has anybody been able to get an iPad to work on LTE? In tmy case it is an iPad Pro 9.7", so it has Band 4 and Band 7. I have a SIM from Dec,2017 (after the iPhone launch). It is on the 10GB big gig data plan. It works fine on 3G using the old Wind APN settings.

I brought this up with the Freedom Customer Care Twitter group. They were for all intents and purposes, useless. They suggested that I get a Big Gig plan (already have it), a new SIM (already have it). They also suggested that I may need to change the APN settings manually, and to talk to tech support, I have called tech support, twice. First time, I was put on hold for 2 hours. Second call was for 3 hours. Still haven't talked to a human being. So this is the reason for the post.

Also, as per the post above, I have tried to see if there is a carrier update, and there isn't.
    Bands 4 and 7 are not universally available across all regions. It would help to know what region that you are in so that proper assistance can be offered.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kkritsilas View Post

Why don't you use your phone as a hotspot and then have the iPad connect to WiFi. If you have the latest Carrier Settings, you can't manually change the APN. You could do this before Freedom was approved by Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo24 View Post
    Bands 4 and 7 are not universally available across all regions. It would help to know what region that you are in so that proper assistance can be offered.
    Band 7 is only available so far in certain "hoods" in Toronto. Everywhere else will use some sort of Band 4+Band 66 stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast