Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Carrier
    TMO
    Feedback Score

How to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone

Does anyone know how to transfer the data from one iPhone to another? I don’t want to restore from a backup. I was having problems with my previous iPhone and Apple gave me a replacement. One of the problem on my previous phone was lagging and freeze esp in the native mail app. The guy at the Genius Bar said not to restore from backup bc it would copy the behaviour over as well. Not sure if this is true though.

I pre-ordered the iPhone X and want to copy everything over, except the behaviour. Is this possible to do?

Phone
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad Mini 2, MacBook Pro 13”
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Nope, as there are no option to sort out said ‘behaviour’. So if it was a software issue, it definitely will carry over.

Sent from my Rose Gold iPhone 7 Plus on Telus’ network.

Phone
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    A backup does not restore operating system software from a previous telephone. Native software is included with the new telephone's operating system. Any needed updates are downloaded from Apple servers. Restoring a backup from iCloud only restores data and settings. Apps are downloaded as needed.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    A backup does not restore operating system software from a previous telephone. Native software is included with the new telephone's operating system. Any needed updates are downloaded from Apple servers. Restoring a backup from iCloud only restores data and settings. Apps are downloaded as needed.
    I mainly want my text, contact, photos, and notes copied over.

Phone
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Backup to iCloud, choose save contacts, mail, notes, etc. picture should be saved to cloud with google photos. Contacts also good to save in gmail.
    Get cheap calling cards to call anywhere in the world! Click here!

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Data would include those items. Apple's iCloud service automatically tracks contacts without any specific backup needed.

Carrier
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    What is the quick setup that is available in iOS 11? Would it copy over the behaviour? Do I need iCloud?

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    "Quick setup" means Set up as New. It does not copy any settings or data from a previous device or from online backups or synchronizations One can still do a restoration from a backup after Setting the device up as new. Remember that one cannot restore to a device with an older operating system without the operating system being updated to the newest available for that model. If one is restoring from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system, none of the 32-bit apps from the older device will work with iOS 11 or higher.

The lagging with your email app could be caused by your email server and would work the same way as before until the problems are fixed on the email server. During the last two weeks, there have been multiple Distributed Denial of Service attacks across the Internet. Attacks have come from many sources. If you are using IMAP4 for incoming email, make sure that you are not close to the storage limits for your email provider. If so, you may have to permanently offload some items and store them locally.

Carrier
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    It’s not only lagging. My native mail app would not respond to anything I tap. I often have to open and close the app numerous times for it to respond. Sometimes have to restart the phone. Lately, youtube app has been freezing on my as well.

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score

How to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by 3390 View Post
    Does anyone know how to transfer the data from one iPhone to another? I don’t want to restore from a backup. I was having problems with my previous iPhone and Apple gave me a replacement. One of the problem on my previous phone was lagging and freeze esp in the native mail app. The guy at the Genius Bar said not to restore from backup bc it would copy the behaviour over as well. Not sure if this is true though.

I pre-ordered the iPhone X and want to copy everything over, except the behaviour. Is this possible to do?
    My iPhone 8, and the X will too, asked me if I wanted to set up my new phone using my iPad that was sitting right near it when I turned on my new phone. It walked me through aiming my new phone’s camera at my iPad screen, which displayed a type of QR code on the screen. It was the same type of code that was on my old phone when I paired my Apple Watch.

I just aimed my camera of my new phone to my iPad and Apple took it from there. I had the option of skipping apps. It is called “Quick Start”:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Feedback Score
    Transfer the selected data you want to an Android phone. Import the selected data from the Android phone to the new iPhone. The wizards between iOS and Android are easy to use.

Carrier
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    My iPhone 8, and the X will too, asked me if I wanted to set up my new phone using my iPad that was sitting right near it when I turned on my new phone. It walked me through aiming my new phone’s camera at my iPad screen, which displayed a type of QR code on the screen. It was the same type of code that was on my old phone when I paired my Apple Watch.

I just aimed my camera of my new phone to my iPad and Apple took it from there. I had the option of skipping apps. It is called “Quick Start”:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269
    If I used this method, wound it copy everything including the behaviour (freeze, lagging, etc) to the new phone? Do I need to enable iCloud? My iCloud is disabled since I don’t want to store any data on the cloud. I don’t mind everything being copied over, except the lagging and freeze.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3390 View Post
    If I used this method, wound it copy everything including the behaviour (freeze, lagging, etc) to the new phone? Do I need to enable iCloud? My iCloud is disabled since I don’t want to store any data on the cloud. I don’t mind everything being copied over, except the lagging and freeze.
    No one can answer the question about the behavior transferring because the cause of the behavior has not been identified.

Carrier
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    I just realised that I did not restore from iTunes backup. Since my current phone still freeze and lag even though I didn’t use restore, I’ll use the quick start option. From what I read, it seems like I would do part of the setup with quick start, then finish with iTunes restore. Can someone confirm?

Phone
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The new "Quick Start" option in iOS 11 is called Automatic Setup and doesn't use iTunes in any way. See this article: "Automatic Setup streamlines the setup process for new iPhones and iPads, transferring over preferences, Apple ID and Wi-Fi info, preferred settings, and iCloud Keychain passwords." After that is done, you'll be prompted to restore from an iCloud backup or set up as a new device.

When I used it last month, it asked me if I wanted to backup one more time before performing the transfer. So likely it will want you to turn on iCloud and perform a backup first. I've never NOT used iCloud, so I can't say what it would do if you're not using iCloud.
    iPhone 7, 128GB, matte black: Sept. 14, 2017 - VIRGIN
    iPhone 6, 64GB, space grey: Nov. 3, 2014 - BELL / Nov. 13, 2015 - VIRGIN
    iPhone 5, 32GB, white: Nov. 21, 2012 - BELL
    iPhone 4, 32GB, black: Sept. 2, 2010 - ROGERS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast