Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Enhanced Voice Services (EVS)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    I see that I am getting the EVC codec (that would be HD+) only when I call someone on Verizon/TotalWireless that has a phone capable of that. Like from my S10/S20 to my son's iPhone 11Pro.
    The other calls, the used codec is AMR-WB (that's HD technically). Or even AMR-NB (calls to land lines).

PS: On my unlocked Moto G4 Plus I never was able to use VoLTE on Verizon. Only on my wife's Moto G5.
    Is there a difference between the Enhanced Voice Services codec and the EVC codec you mentioned?

Feedback Score
    Personally I’m looking forward to the day we’ll see full-band HD calling on top of the super wide-band that already sounds fantastic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    If you use the Google dialer, it'll likely distinguish HD/HD+ on your phone.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    How does one do this? Asking for a friend.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    How does one do this? Asking for a friend.
    Download Google dialer from the play store. Open it after download and set as default. Profit.

Feedback Score
    Download Google dialer from the play store. Open it after download and set as default. Profit.

And this works on all phones, like, say a Samsung?

Feedback Score
    On my past Samsung phones the Google Dialer didn't show up in the Play store. On the current Galaxy S20 I see that it is accessible in Play Store. They are both called "Phone" in my phone applications list, one is green, the other blue.
    I have 7 more days until I receive the S21+, so I will know more then.

PS: Note that the Samsung Dialer on older phones comes with free Hiya spam protection (at least until 2025):
    https://www.androidauthority.com/sam...calls-1170841/

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    If you use the Google dialer, it'll likely distinguish HD/HD+ on your phone.
    Just checked & Google appears to be the default dialer on the Moto G Stylus. It is called "Phone by Google" in the Play Store.

Do both phones on a call have to support the HD+ codec for it to work?

Feedback Score
    Motorola Android is very close to native Google one.

I have tried the "Phone by Google" on my Samsung and it still does not display the HD icon during a call, like my wife's Pixel does.
    More, the special codes are different, for example the *#0011# that works on Samsung has to be dialed as *#*#0011#*#* on Google Dialer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Just checked & Google appears to be the default dialer on the Moto G Stylus. It is called "Phone by Google" in the Play Store.

Yes both phones have to support the EVS codec in its hardware. There’s rules on when the logo can be used so, if the phone manufacturer is in compliance it should be uniform from brand to brand.
    https://www.gsma.com/futurenetworks/...e_v9_04_17.pdf

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Yes, they both have to be compatible. The sound has to be received from the one handset in that codec.

At&t has now implemented EVS 13.2 Channel Aware. I noticed it a couple of weeks ago. Anyone seen this on VZW?

RF Channel Aware ModeTo support high definition voice in LTE enabled networks, the EVS codec provides a "channel aware" mode of operation that applies state-of-the-art packet loss concealment (PLC) techniques against channel induced bit errors, both single bit and burst. In the case of telecom and enterprise applications, the mode is also referred to as "RF channel aware" as in this case bit errors may occur in transmissions between cell towers, basestations, and handsets, WiFi connections, and other RF links in the transmission chain.

Paraphrasing from "Improved error resilience for VoLTE and VoIP with 3GPP EVS channel aware coding" ◳ (*):

The newly standardized 3GPP EVS speech codec contains a highly error resilient mode called "channel aware". Compared to prior generation codecs, EVS' channel aware mode offers significantly improved error resilience in voice communication over packet-switched networks such as Voice-over-IP (VoIP) and Voice-over-LTE (VoLTE). Error resilience is achieved using a form of in-band forward error correction (FEC) and source-controlled coding techniques to identify candidate speech frames for bitrate reduction.

The process described in the article leaves available bits for transmission of partial copies of prior frames, while still maintaining the required bitrate. Even in the case of lost or discarded primary frames -- which tends to be the end result of bit errors in packet switched networks -- voice quality stays within an acceptable range. The article gives MOS test results to demonstrate this voice quality robustness.

"EVS Codec" https://www.signalogic.com/index.pl?page=evs_codec

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro, Pixel 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes, they both have to be compatible. The sound has to be received from the one handset in that codec.

At&t has now implemented EVS 13.2 Channel Aware. I noticed it a couple of weeks ago. Anyone seen this on VZW?

I’ve seen EVS SWB 13.2 on VZW to VZW calls, but from VZW to AT&T it was only AMR WB 12.65

Feedback Score

Absolutely fascinating. I wonder what devices support it, such as iPhones, and if so what models. On my iPhone 11 Pro the analytic data shows calls being “EVSSWB” which is primarily always Verizon to Verizon.

Feedback Score
    I had EVS:WB 13.2kHz on WZV to WZV calls since Galaxy S10. iPhone 11 too.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nicothetechguy View Post
    I’ve seen EVS SWB 13.2 on VZW to VZW calls, but from VZW to AT&T it was only AMR WB 12.65
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Absolutely fascinating. I wonder what devices support it, such as iPhones, and if so what models. On my iPhone 11 Pro the analytic data shows calls being “EVSSWB” which is primarily always Verizon to Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    I had EVS:WB 13.2kHz on WZV to WZV calls since Galaxy S10. iPhone 11 too.
    What I'm looking for here specifically is the channel aware mode, and if vzw has implemented it. Evs 13.2kb/Channel Aware Mode.

Feedback Score
    What I'm looking for here specifically is the channel aware mode, and if vzw has implemented it. Evs 13.2kb/Channel Aware Mode.

I totally understand and I really want to know this as well. What model phone are you using and what model is being used on the other end? I know it’s AT&T but is it just straight through them or is one of the carriers an MVNO offshoot?

Does anyone know if this channel aware mode is found only on the latest models of phones or if it’s something baked into all phones that support the EVS codec, and it’s simply up to the carrier to activate? I ask because there’s two different 13.2 bandwidths for both wideband and super wideband and all phones might not differentiate between the two.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DebiLee; 01-24-2021 at 01:02 PM.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast