Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: For anyone having trouble connecting to the LTE Network Extender...

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

For anyone having trouble connecting to the LTE Network Extender...

Our 2 iPhones were no longer connecting to the Network Extender gracefully after carrier update 30.1. They would only connect if we toggled airplane mode. I believe this is related to the fact that 30.1 did seem to give us a slight boost in signal strength. Without the Network Extender, our phones used to have ~2 bars of signal and would always be on band 4 on the macro tower while at home. After 30.1 our phones were almost always showing 3 bars - still band 4.

Why is this relevant? Well, our Network Extender would only broadcast band 13 according to Field Test on our iPhones. As we all know, Verizon phones almost always prefer band 4 over band 13 unless the band 4 signal drops VERY LOW. Verizon does not seem to have logic in their carrier settings on the phone to always prefer a strong signal on the Network Extender over a weaker signal on the macro tower. As a result of this improved band 4 signal after carrier update 30.1 and the fact that Verizon devices don't seem to like to connect to band 13 except as a last resort, our phones were never connecting to the band 13 signal being broadcast by the Network Extender gracefully upon returning home - we had to toggle airplane mode.

The fix? Apparently Verizon can set your Network Extender to use band 4 if you ask them to. I had opened a network ticket for the issue of our phones not connecting to the Network Extender after 30.1. After a few days, a network tech texted me and I explained that the phones were preferring band 4 on the macro tower over band 13 on the Network Extender. The tech asked me if I wanted to switch the Network Extender to band 4 instead and I agreed that this would probably fix the issue. It did. Now our phones gracefully connect to the Network Extender upon returning home and they show band 4 in Field Test.

That said, I don't think this is the PROPER fix. The proper fix would be for Verizon to update their carrier settings to prefer a strong Network Extender signal over a weaker macro tower signal, regardless of the band the Network Extender is broadcasting (band 13 or band 4). I mentioned this to the tech and the tech agreed, but I'm not holding my breath that Verizon is going to correct this anytime soon.

Feedback Score
    Since you have iPhones, why not just get rid of the network extender and connect using WiFi? That’s what I did and I have been very happy ever since. There is no need for network extenders anymore except possibly for businesses that don’t want to provide WiFi passwords to everyone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Since you have iPhones, why not just get rid of the network extender and connect using WiFi? That’s what I did and I have been very happy ever since. There is no need for network extenders anymore except possibly for businesses that don’t want to provide WiFi passwords to everyone.
    Good question. I originally had high hopes for WiFi calling but it didn't turn out to be the panacea I had hoped for. In fact, WiFi calling was enabled for the iPhone before the LTE Network Extender was released so I gave it a good trial. In the end, I ended up purchasing the LTE Network Extender when it was released. Here's why:

1. With WiFi calling, I have dropped and/or missed several calls despite having a perfect WiFi signal at home and never being more than 20 feet from the router. Over a period of a month or two, several people (who don't like to leave voicemails) asked me why I never called them back. I never had any missed calls on my phone however, so the phone was not ringing on my end! This was my BIGGEST issue with WiFi calling.

2. With WiFi calling, the algorithm of when to use WiFi calling vs. the macro tower was pretty poor before iOS 11. For example, if you are in an area with ~2-3 bars of signal, it will actually switch back and forth from WiFi calling to the macro tower VERY OFTEN while on a call. I would literally see it switch back and forth several times on the screen on my longer calls (most of my calls are for work and are fairly lengthy). With this constant switching, calls occasionally drop and I've had this happen a few times. With iOS 11, this algorithm seems to have improved and the phone does seem to stay on WiFi calling for the duration of the call from what I've seen.

3. Battery life seems slightly better with the Network Extender from what I've seen. The phone sees full bars and is happy with that vs. continually looking for something better.

Feedback Score
    Interesting experience. I have never had any problems with WiFi calling and have never missed any calls since I have been using it. Maybe it has something to do with the cell towers in your area.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Interesting experience. I have never had any problems with WiFi calling and have never missed any calls since I have been using it. Maybe it has something to do with the cell towers in your area.
    How do you know you've never missed a call if your phone never rang?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    How do you know you've never missed a call if your phone never rang?
    Because I have not had anyone tell me that I missed their call without having registered a call on my phone.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    Good question. I originally had high hopes for WiFi calling but it didn't turn out to be the panacea I had hoped for. In fact, WiFi calling was enabled for the iPhone before the LTE Network Extender was released so I gave it a good trial. In the end, I ended up purchasing the LTE Network Extender when it was released. Here's why:

1. With WiFi calling, I have dropped and/or missed several calls despite having a perfect WiFi signal at home and never being more than 20 feet from the router. Over a period of a month or two, several people (who don't like to leave voicemails) asked me why I never called them back. I never had any missed calls on my phone however, so the phone was not ringing on my end! This was my BIGGEST issue with WiFi calling.

2. With WiFi calling, the algorithm of when to use WiFi calling vs. the macro tower was pretty poor before iOS 11. For example, if you are in an area with ~2-3 bars of signal, it will actually switch back and forth from WiFi calling to the macro tower VERY OFTEN while on a call. I would literally see it switch back and forth several times on the screen on my longer calls (most of my calls are for work and are fairly lengthy). With this constant switching, calls occasionally drop and I've had this happen a few times. With iOS 11, this algorithm seems to have improved and the phone does seem to stay on WiFi calling for the duration of the call from what I've seen.

3. Battery life seems slightly better with the Network Extender from what I've seen. The phone sees full bars and is happy with that vs. continually looking for something better.
    I can corroborate these issues with my iPhone 7 and Pixel XL. Missed calls are pretty uncommon, though. More common are problems when I'm making calls. Sometimes the call will drop in the process of dialing.

Also, with wifi calling, I have a problem with the first second of my call getting cut off. People never hear me answer the call, since the first second of me saying hello isn't captured.

Battery life is definitely affected. Battery life is definitely better with the extender. Though, I should point out that I'm just on the edge of LTE coverage- if it were a little worse, then my phones probably wouldn't even try to use LTE. Since they can almost get it, they shift back-and-forth between wifi and LTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had very similar issues as well. At my house I get 3-4 bars of band 13 however I also get 1 bar of band 4. My iPhone 6s and 8 would hang on to that 1 bar of band 4 for dear life and call quality was very spotty. Initially after getting the LTE network extender and the phones would only pick it up if we kicked the phones in and out of airplane mode, Then once I got to far away it would kick back over to the cellular network and stay on that.

The extender was set to broadcast on band 13 but the phones prefer band 4. I called Verizon and they switched the LTE extender over to band 4 and performance has been perfect ever sense. Battery life is much better with the LTE extender.

I also tried WiFi calling which I didn’t like very much. It was always kicking on and off and the calls didn’t sound very good. And people on the other end couldn’t hear me well. WiFi calling wasn’t horrible but IMO it’s not good enough to use it daily for all my calls.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    I had very similar issues as well. At my house I get 3-4 bars of band 13 however I also get 1 bar of band 4. My iPhone 6s and 8 would hang on to that 1 bar of band 4 for dear life and call quality was very spotty. Initially after getting the LTE network extender and the phones would only pick it up if we kicked the phones in and out of airplane mode, Then once I got to far away it would kick back over to the cellular network and stay on that.

The extender was set to broadcast on band 13 but the phones prefer band 4. I called Verizon and they switched the LTE extender over to band 4 and performance has been perfect ever sense. Battery life is much better with the LTE extender.

I also tried WiFi calling which I didn’t like very much. It was always kicking on and off and the calls didn’t sound very good. And people on the other end couldn’t hear me well. WiFi calling wasn’t horrible but IMO it’s not good enough to use it daily for all my calls.
    Glad to hear it. Band 4 is working perfectly on the extender for me as well. Out of curiosity, was tech support immediately able to switch it to band 4 for you or did you have to open a network ticket? I had originally opened a network ticket due to connectivity issues with the extender (I did not request that they change the band) and the network engineer was the one who suggested that band 4 might work better and switched it for me. I'm just wondering if this is something tech support can handle without opening a network ticket.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had to open a ticket. The first few people I talked to had no idea what I was talking about. Once I submitted the ticket and explained the service issue along with my request to switch the bands I was notified in less than 24 hours that it was fixed and the bands were switched. According to the tech who handled the support ticket apparently this is getting pretty common of an issue now. By default the LTE extenders are set to band 13. Per the tech, the device is designed to work in an area with no service instead of an area with poor service and phones are set to prefer band 4 over 13 which is why so many people are having problems connecting to them.

On a side note I think the strength is much stronger than advertised. On 100% power I can get about 50 yards from my house and still connect to it. Out of curiosity how much speed can you get through it. I do use WiFi for my data but I tested it out of curiosity. My internet plan is 220 down and I can pull about 65 Mbps from the extender.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Out of curiosity how much speed can you get through it. I do use WiFi for my data but I tested it out of curiosity. My internet plan is 220 down and I can pull about 65 Mbps from the extender.
    That sounds like the theoretical maximum of a 10 MHz channel. I'm guessing they don't have the extender broadcasting the full range of band 4 available in the market. That's a smart move, since the extender is designed to only accommodate a small number of clients. Limiting the bandwidth on extenders reduces interference for nearby customers. I would also assume tech support is all too happy to get an extender off 13 and on to 4. 13 is ridden with interference. The fewer sources of noise, the better.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had to open a ticket. The first few people I talked to had no idea what I was talking about. Once I submitted the ticket and explained the service issue along with my request to switch the bands I was notified in less than 24 hours that it was fixed and the bands were switched. According to the tech who handled the support ticket apparently this is getting pretty common of an issue now. By default the LTE extenders are set to band 13. Per the tech, the device is designed to work in an area with no service instead of an area with poor service and phones are set to prefer band 4 over 13 which is why so many people are having problems connecting to them.

On a side note I think the strength is much stronger than advertised. On 100% power I can get about 50 yards from my house and still connect to it. Out of curiosity how much speed can you get through it. I do use WiFi for my data but I tested it out of curiosity. My internet plan is 220 down and I can pull about 65 Mbps from the extender.

Yep, Verizon phones definitely prefer band 4 > band 13. Not sure why all the extenders are set to band 13 by default. As weskeene said, band 13 is much stronger so there is a greater chance of interference as well. The band 13 signal from the macro tower is quite strong at my house (if I'm not using the extender, our phones connect to band 13 as soon as they are powered up and I see full bars before they drop to band 4). It's interesting that the tech told you that they are designed for areas with no service. If I lived in an area with NO Verizon service, I'd be using another carrier altogether. Unless of course NO carrier offered service.

Are you sure you're connecting to YOUR extender if/when you're 50 yards from your house? Perhaps you have a neighbor with an extender? If you dial #48 it will tell you the ID of the extender you're connected to. This number is also displayed on the web portal of your extender. Those should match if you are connecting to your own extender and not someone else's.

The reason I say this is that I run mine at 100% power and I definitely can't use my extender when I'm 150 feet away from it. Especially now that I'm on band 4. The band 4 signal strength is a little less than band 13. For example, I live in a crowded townhouse community. Looking at the web portal for my extender, on band 13, I would often see 5-6 peak devices connected to it in a 24 hour period. Now that I'm band 4, I've never seen more than 3 peak devices connected to it in 24 hours (2 of which are OUR devices). That means that the signal is a little weaker and most of my neighbors aren't connecting to it anymore. I also disconnect from it a little quicker based on my tests when backing the car out of the driveway and onto the street.

Regarding internet speeds on my extender...

I'm always on WiFi, but if I disable WiFi and run a speed test (which I've only done a couple of times - I don't have an unlimited data plan), I get around 35Mbps max download speeds on the extender. My Comcast internet gives me ~240Mbps down on WiFi.
    Last edited by jkozlow3; 11-14-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if the enterprise models run at the same power as the home extender.

The only difference I'm aware of with the enterprise extenders is that you're allowed to put many of them in a building (or outside, I guess), and build your own cell network of sorts. I believe the only reason you can't do that with the home extender is that extender to extender HO is not permitted, but it is with the enterprise model.

Feedback Score
    JoeinPA, what internet service provides 220 down? That is unreal. Here in OC cal, it is difficult to get 100 down and you really have to pay a lot for that on Cox Communications. Cox is a rip-off but there is no other choice.

Feedback Score
    The problem with network extenders is that your are providing cell phone service for you neighbors free of charge and there is nothing that you can do about it. This has been a problem for years with Verizon Network Extenders. When is Verizon going to fix this so that only authorized phones will work with the network extender and all others will be locked-out? Is this really so hard to implement?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast