Thread: new $25 phone upgrade fee and no BYOD

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

new $25 phone upgrade fee and no BYOD

Quote Originally Posted by Foothill.Q View Post
    Upgrade fee is same thing as "activation fee"???
    I guess in a way it is for current customer that purchase phones through cricket. It’s a money grab. Just buy your phone elsewhere to avoid the $25 “upgrade” fee if you’re a current customer and simply swap SIM cards. Just make sure it’s an AT&T compatible phone and that it uses the same sim your current phone is using.

Seems like a hassle but if it’s not worth it to you, pay the $25 fee plus the phone cost from cricket.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Any existing customer can bring their own device at anytime and just switch sim. I just switched to the iPhone 8+.
    Thanks for this verification. I'm getting a Pixel 2XL in a few days and got concerned over the title!

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    Totally agree. I got to the party late but still had some nice lovin' with a number of 99 cent phones that I resold for $50-60 each

I agree! At least give a few slots per year
    No one is plenty, otherwise people like yourself will just buy and resell the devices. I understand why Cricket has done this, when they are highly subsidizing the devices and people just buy them to resell them they are losing $$.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ckoch125 View Post
    No one is plenty, otherwise people like yourself will just buy and resell the devices. I understand why Cricket has done this, when they are highly subsidizing the devices and people just buy them to resell them they are losing $$.
    Not to mention cricket is paying for 2 day shipping. I've ordered plenty of 99 cent phones and cricket sent them 2 day air which I always received next day. The only benefit to cricket was they collected $30 for service which kept me around for an additional month.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcm00re View Post
    Then why not waive the $25 fee once every 12 months or 24 months so as not to punish those who aren't reselling phones. This fee the way it's implemented is absurd! Hopefully Cricket comes to their senses when it comes time for me to upgrade.
    Makes sense. This new $25 upgrade fee policy might be a response to cricket retail complaints. Cricket retailers have been charging $25 activation fees all along. Maybe cricket is helping to level the field.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcm00re View Post
    Then why not waive the $25 fee once every 12 months or 24 months so as not to punish those who aren't reselling phones. This fee the way it's implemented is absurd! Hopefully Cricket comes to their senses when it comes time for me to upgrade.
    The funny thing is I that I switched from post paid to prepaid service years ago for of course the monthly cost savings saving but also because of all the nickel & diming Verizon was doing. Things like upgrade fee's & activation fee's & different fee's on my bill every month. Now it feels like slowly all these annoying fee's are being carried over to pre-paid service. So far it's easy to avoid but how long until one of the MVNO's start charging customers for switching devices or charging a fee for plan changes?

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    t how long until one of the MVNO's start charging customers for switching devices or charging a fee for plan changes?
    Technically they already have started. If you have grandfathered plan discounts you will lose these if you make plan changes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2