Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Gigabit LTE

Feedback Score
    so i plan on getting a verizon note 8 next saturday... does it support band 46 ? LAA? and gigabit lte? And if so when will verizon start with the faster speeds.? its already 2018
    i live in los angeles california btw , when those speeds gonna be available here?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omarc443 View Post
    so i plan on getting a verizon note 8 next saturday... does it support band 46 ? LAA? and gigabit lte? And if so when will verizon start with the faster speeds.? its already 2018
    i live in los angeles california btw , when those speeds gonna be available here?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Yes, it supports 46/LAA. Gigabit LTE is a marketing term and doesn't represent any single technology beyond the already existing 4x4 MIMO, 256QAM, and 4ca. Though this marketing term also generally assumes the presence of LAA, which the phone you're talking about already supports.

When does it get implemented? Pieces of it are already all over the network. Does it exist in some certain place? Only someone who has supporting hardware can say for sure.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 2 XL Unlocked & Rooted
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan)
    Feedback Score
    The way I understand the implementation of gigabit LTE is that it is a small/micro cell implementation with band 46 being in the 5ghz spectrum. Thus it is implemented more locally like in a congested downtown-high density office worker area, airports, concert venues than regionally across a multiple mile area within the cell. It offloads some of the data traffic from the base LTE bands and the data can go on the unlicensed band 46 5 ghz spectrum.
    Anyone have any more insight to the implementation methodology or is this correct?

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by df190765 View Post
    The way I understand the implementation of gigabit LTE is that it is a small/micro cell implementation with band 46 being in the 5ghz spectrum. Thus it is implemented more locally like in a congested downtown-high density office worker area, airports, concert venues than regionally across a multiple mile area within the cell. It offloads some of the data traffic from the base LTE bands and the data can go on the unlicensed band 46 5 ghz spectrum.
    Anyone have any more insight to the implementation methodology or is this correct?
    Gigabit speeds over LTE can be achieved without unlicensed spectrum in areas where Verizon has 50 MHz of downlink LTE licensed spectrum deployed with 4x4 MIMO and 256 QAM. For example: 20 MHz Band 4 + 20 MHz Band 2 + 10 MHz Band 13.

"Standard" LTE theoretical peak speeds are 75 Mbps per 10 MHz channel, assuming 2x2 MIMO (which all LTE smartphones have, as far as I know) and 64 QAM downlink. Relative to this, 4x4 MIMO doubles theoretical peak speed, 256 QAM downlink increases it by one third; as a result, each 10 MHz channel can theoretically reach 200 Mbps, so you'd need five of them.

In areas where Verizon has 20x20 Band 4 but only 10x10 or 15x15 Band 2, they could still achieve gigabit LTE theoretical peak speeds over licensed spectrum if they refarm and aggregate Band 5 (850 MHz) as well. One such area is my own market of Hampton Roads, VA, where Verizon only has 10 MHz of Band 2 LTE deployed (according to my last check), but they own the entire cellular/850/Band 5 spectrum block. Of course, this would require that user equipment support 4x carrier aggregation, which was only deployed with the latest batch of smartphones.

Of course, gigabit speeds are far easier to achieve with the help of unlicensed spectrum, but as you mentioned, unlicensed spectrum has such a short range that it requires a massive small cell or DAS deployment.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Gigabit speeds over LTE can be achieved without unlicensed spectrum in areas where Verizon has 50 MHz of downlink LTE licensed spectrum deployed with 4x4 MIMO and 256 QAM. For example: 20 MHz Band 4 + 20 MHz Band 2 + 10 MHz Band 13.

"Standard" LTE theoretical peak speeds are 75 Mbps per 10 MHz channel, assuming 2x2 MIMO (which all LTE smartphones have, as far as I know) and 64 QAM downlink. Relative to this, 4x4 MIMO doubles theoretical peak speed, 256 QAM downlink increases it by one third; as a result, each 10 MHz channel can theoretically reach 200 Mbps, so you'd need five of them.

In areas where Verizon has 20x20 Band 4 but only 10x10 or 15x15 Band 2, they could still achieve gigabit LTE theoretical peak speeds over licensed spectrum if they refarm and aggregate Band 5 (850 MHz) as well. One such area is my own market of Hampton Roads, VA, where Verizon only has 10 MHz of Band 2 LTE deployed (according to my last check), but they own the entire cellular/850/Band 5 spectrum block. Of course, this would require that user equipment support 4x carrier aggregation, which was only deployed with the latest batch of smartphones.

Of course, gigabit speeds are far easier to achieve with the help of unlicensed spectrum, but as you mentioned, unlicensed spectrum has such a short range that it requires a massive small cell or DAS deployment.
    You did your home work, that's for sure. Your math, and the math I did on my own agree almost completely. There's really quite a lot of capability out there with the spectrum already on the market. One question I have remaining is what so-called MU-MIMO panels can bring to the table without support from handsets beyond 4x4. Could a panel capable of delivering more special streams help handsets that are not equipped with anything beyond 4x4? I suspect yes, but I've not seen anything concrete yet.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Increasing antenna diversity on the network side primarily offers improved uplink performance, which translates to better speeds and battery life for users. It also somewhat future-proofs the cell sites on which the additional antennas are deployed, since the carrier needn't send out technicians to install additional antennae when user equipment arrives with higher-order MIMO.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Does the unlocked S8 support all the features for gigabit LTE?

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    Does the unlocked S8 support all the features for gigabit LTE?
    Let's see, it has 256QAM. It has 4x4 MIMO. It has 4 carrier aggregation. I say yes!

Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Increasing antenna diversity on the network side primarily offers improved uplink performance, which translates to better speeds and battery life for users. It also somewhat future-proofs the cell sites on which the additional antennas are deployed, since the carrier needn't send out technicians to install additional antennae when user equipment arrives with higher-order MIMO.
    True on the future proofing aspect. These same panels can be deployed for early 5G as well, I would assume.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    Let's see, it has 256QAM. It has 4x4 MIMO. It has 4 carrier aggregation. I say yes!

That is true but I heard that it's not enabled on the firmware which doesn't make sense.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That is true but I heard that it's not enabled on the firmware which doesn't make sense.
    Agreed. That makes no sense. Sounds like a false report.

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure Edition 32GB 2015
    Carrier(s)
    ex Verizon Wireless - Currently: T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    First time ever seeing this speed on VZW LTE. Not bad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fios 1024/1024

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    It was disabled on the early baseband versions of the S8 but has since been enabled along with B46 I believe.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    It was disabled on the early baseband versions of the S8 but has since been enabled along with B46 I believe.
    Do you know which firmware version?

Sent from my Galaxy S8+ using the HoFo app

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    By the way, which specific feature(s) did you hear was/were disabled on the S8?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast