Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    You have a link to the article?

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app
    http://bgr.com/2018/01/04/att-5g-cities-2018-launch/

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...speeds-up-to-1

Here is one arrival that references 5G in the 600 and 700 MHz ranges. Iím still looking for the article that references better coverage and range with ď5G technology.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Is there anywhere to check where Verizon has deployed LAA or any of the other new technologies. I have an iPhone 8plus so I canít see these frequencies so I have no idea if they are live in the Pittsburgh market.

On a side note because of the iPhones stripped down cellular capabilities from the Apple/Qualcomm battle Iím really tempted to look at the new galaxy s9 when it comes out.

Iím really deep in Apple though with a MacBook Air, iPad, Apple TV, Apple Watch (but its old and due to be replaced soon), and iPhone 8plus. So Iím not sure how I will like just going with a Samsung watch/phone and Apple for everything else.

The cellular specs of the x20 modem the 845 would use looks like quite a big jump over the current iPhone (or likely even the next iPhone for that matter) that would be a big benefit.
    The addition of LAA and 4x4 MIMO I think would be a big benefit in the few areas of Pittsburgh that I have congestion with and also the additional antennas with the MIMO may help get a little better signal when Iím more rural traveling.

Do any of you guys notice a big difference with the S8 or V30 over the iPhone when it comes to cellular capabilities and call quality.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    Is there anywhere to check where Verizon has deployed LAA or any of the other new technologies. I have an iPhone 8plus so I can’t see these frequencies so I have no idea if they are live in the Pittsburgh market.

On a side note because of the iPhones stripped down cellular capabilities from the Apple/Qualcomm battle I’m really tempted to look at the new galaxy s9 when it comes out.

I’m really deep in Apple though with a MacBook Air, iPad, Apple TV, Apple Watch (but its old and due to be replaced soon), and iPhone 8plus. So I’m not sure how I will like just going with a Samsung watch/phone and Apple for everything else.

The cellular specs of the x20 modem the 845 would use looks like quite a big jump over the current iPhone (or likely even the next iPhone for that matter) that would be a big benefit.
    The addition of LAA and 4x4 MIMO I think would be a big benefit in the few areas of Pittsburgh that I have congestion with and also the additional antennas with the MIMO may help get a little better signal when I’m more rural traveling.

Do any of you guys notice a big difference with the S8 or V30 over the iPhone when it comes to cellular capabilities and call quality.
    It would be easier to obtain the nuclear launch codes than the specifics of what they have deployed where (except for certain very limited cases like massive MIMO in Irvine, CA).

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Also, this: https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...orate-tax-rate

Summary: Verizon won't up its spending on capex, and thinks they're in a good spectrum position (which is 2nd from the bottom). I sure hope these guys know what they're doing.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    http://bgr.com/2018/01/04/att-5g-cities-2018-launch/

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...speeds-up-to-1

Here is one arrival that references 5G in the 600 and 700 MHz ranges. Iím still looking for the article that references better coverage and range with ď5G technology.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    It would be easier to obtain the nuclear launch codes than the specifics of what they have deployed where (except for certain very limited cases like massive MIMO in Irvine, CA).
    That really is a shame. They like to talk about all the technology they use but donít tell you where you can use it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Summary: Verizon won't up its spending on capex, and thinks they're in a good spectrum position (which is 2nd from the bottom). I sure hope these guys know what they're doing.
    If Verizon is going to keep pushing that route of using technologies to maximize spectrum vs buy more spectrum then they really need to get on manufactures to include them in devices.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That really is a shame. They like to talk about all the technology they use but don’t tell you where you can use it.
    I'm not sure the alternative is much better. The UnCarrier likes to talk about all the stuff they deploy, but it could be like one tower in the whole market that has it. If carriers can't tell the whole truth, they might as well keep their mouths shut.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure the alternative is much better. The UnCarrier likes to talk about all the stuff they deploy, but it could be like one tower in the whole market that has it. If carriers can't tell the whole truth, they might as well keep their mouths shut.
    Maybe Iím just being to picky and wanting to much. But you would think that if you walked into a store they would say ďhey in this market if you buy this phone you can take advantage of ______ that is live hereĒ.

Maybe Iím also just asking to much to have a phone that actually takes advantage of all the technologies the network is deploying.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Maybe I’m just being to picky and wanting to much. But you would think that if you walked into a store they would say “hey in this market if you buy this phone you can take advantage of ______ that is live here”.

Maybe I’m also just asking to much to have a phone that actually takes advantage of all the technologies the network is deploying.
    I hate to say it, but you're probably asking too much. The S9 will be capable of everything the network can do. The S8 *almost* is. There's always a disconnect between the network and any single phone. Having said that, being on a relatively current phone is a good way to know you're not seeing performance that is drastically far from what anyone else would see on a "better" phone. Enjoy your iPhone. When it's time to upgrade, I'm sure Apple will have most of their ducks in a row. Stuff isn't changing THAT fast.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Verizon Gigabit LTE

The other thing that I really donít like about this the time table for deployment and adaptation.

If Verizon is going to push for LAA and Massive MIMO to bridge the gap then the devices need to support it. Basically no devices support Massive MIMO (maybe one or two can with an update) and only a few do LAA.

I think last year Apple ended with around 40% market share (none can do LAA or Massive MIMO) so android has around 60%. So out of that 60 percentage by the time you add basic phones and mid range phones to the mix I would take a pure guess and say only about 15% of the market share of phones can even take advantage of those technologies. And Iím sure they will remain a ďpremiumĒ technology that wonít make it to most mid range phones for a few years(just a general expression, Iím sure a few will have it). So in the end you have all these technologies that few people can take advantage of this and you are stuck with the same old spectrum congestion issue still for a few years.

Buying spectrum seems like not only a quick fix but a real long term solution.

I should also clarify Iím not against these technologies at all as I feel they will be essential in the future but IMO they should be viewed as network enhancements and not network fixes.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The other thing that I really donít like about this the time table for deployment and adaptation.

If Verizon is going to push for LAA and Massive MIMO to bridge the gap then the devices need to support it. Basically no devices support Massive MIMO (maybe one or two can with an update) and only a few do LAA.

I think last year Apple ended with around 40% market share (none can do LAA or Massive MIMO) so android has around 60%. So out of that 60 percentage by the time you add basic phones and mid range phones to the mix I would take a pure guess and say only about 15% of the market share of phones can even take advantage of those technologies. And Iím sure they will remain a ďpremiumĒ technology that wonít make it to most mid range phones for a few years(just a general expression, Iím sure a few will have it). So in the end you have all these technologies that few people can take advantage of this and you are stuck with the same old spectrum congestion issue still for a few years.

I should also clarify Iím not against these technologies at all as I feel they will be essential in the future but IMO they should be viewed as network enhancements and not network fixes.
    The first Qualcomm chip to have massive MIMO support will be the 845, which will be found in the S9 and S9+. However, we don't actually know that the S9 and S9+ will have the required hardware support (read: antennas) to support massive MIMO.

Having said that, I think there is an open question about the potential value of having massive MIMO panels up, even if the phones are only 2 or 4 MIMO. Here's my rationale: No, your device isn't going to get the blazing fast speeds from 16 spatial streams (or whatever the number is) if you don't have massive MIMO on your handset, but that site is still able to send and receive more streams. So you can only get 4 of them, but some other phone can get their own 4 streams.

When talking about capacity upgrades, it's all very confusing. We might be reaching a point where you won't actually see faster unloaded speeds on a site, with any single phone. However, more phones can get that good speed due to the upgrade.

This is mostly conjecture, take it for what it's worth.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Buying spectrum is not by any means a "quick fix". There's billions spent on purchasing licenses then many billions more in equipment costs, engineering costs, construction costs and a time line of probably 2-3 years for a decent nationwide rollout.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    Buying spectrum is not by any means a "quick fix". There's billions spent on purchasing licenses then many billions more in equipment costs, engineering costs, construction costs and a time line of probably 2-3 years for a decent nationwide rollout.
    Hi Jim

Donít you think Verizon should of bought more spectrum just to play it safe?? Densifying costs tons of money too and getting permits can take quite a long time

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Hi Jim

Don’t you think Verizon should of bought more spectrum just to play it safe?? Densifying costs tons of money too and getting permits can take quite a long time
    I am sure they have already been working behind the scenes for a couple years securing permits for small cells and new sites.
    Verizon "The New Unlimited Plan"
    AT&T Unlimited iPad Data
    AT&T 2X Mobley Connected Car UNL Plan.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast