Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: 150.00 budget phones?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    116
    Feedback Score
    0

    150.00 budget phones?

    I know what I am looking for is far and wide, but I am trying hard to find a "flagshipish" quality, budget smart phone at a 150.00 price point. I could go more if it is nice.

    I'm looking at Moto E4, Doogee Mix, BluBoo s8....MotoG5.... ones like that.

    I'd really like HD screen, 13 MP camera or more, latest Android O.S., quality feeling build, 5" screen or more.

    I'm coming from a Windows 649XL which I love, but Windows is falling out of the mobile department once again, so it is time to jump on and learn Android. I got a ZTE Maven to play with, but it really sucks...always locking up....I need a better android phone with performance comparable to my Nokia 640XL Windows Phone.

    200.00 dollars is my absolute limit.... Any recommendations? I'm doing my own research, but would like to see what people here like in the budget phone arena. Thank you !!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,902
    Feedback Score
    0
    Maybe the Verizon prepaid Moto E4 Plus.
    It can be unlocked cheap. $2.09 from eBay.

    I'm using its smaller sibling.
    The Moto E4 and just love it.
    The Moto E4 Plus is 5.5 inch screen.
    Full price is around $119.99. But often it goes on sale for $99.99.
    I have the Lumia 640 XL and also love it but as you said the support for it from Microsoft has fallen off and the apps are slowly being killed off.

    The screen on the Moto E4 is beautiful.
    It's 5 inches so if you want to move up to 5.5 inches the Moto E4 Plus will be a nice upgrade.

    It is running Nougat at the moment.

    The battery life on the Moto E4 is amazing.
    The Moto E4 Plus has an enormous battery and it should last days per charge.

    Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,157
    Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Moto G5 Plus is $170 in a flash sale today, for the 2GB/32GB version:

    http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11...60-off-amazon/

    Otherwise, the Moto E4 and E4 Plus are good choices. I am happy with my G5 Plus. A friend has the E4 Plus and is extremely happy with being able to use it for two days of heavy usage and still have a safety margin to get home.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    116
    Feedback Score
    0
    I found a Verizon Moto E4 at Walmart for $39.00 Does that seem right? she said it is that price.

    So I can unlock and use my AT&T Sim card in it? It is Verizon phone so I didnt think I could use a sim in it... or something like that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,902
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumia_Black View Post
    I found a Verizon Moto E4 at Walmart for $39.00 Does that seem right? she said it is that price.

    So I can unlock and use my AT&T Sim card in it? It is Verizon phone so I didnt think I could use a sim in it... or something like that.
    Yes that is the correct price at Walmart.
    I got mine at Target by having them price match the Walmart price.
    I got an unlock code from eBay for $2.09.
    And I can use it with any GSM carrier.

    It uses a nano SIM card.

    It's a very good phone especially at $40.

    Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Without a doubt the best option right now for $150 is the Huawei Honor 6x. $150 at Best Buy. $250 MSRP. Easily equal or better than the Moto G5 Plus and the Moto E4. Fully unlocked and GSM capable. 5.5'' screen with 2.1Ghz Octa-core and 3-4GB RAM and 32-64GB ROM. EMUI 5.0 (Android 7.0) soon to be updated to 8.0. Fantastic fingerprint sensor and equpped with a great 3340mAh battery that last days. Also dual rear cameras (12+2mp) and an 8mp front facing camera. You get a lot of bang for your buck.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    171
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by STester View Post
    Without a doubt the best option right now for $150 is the Huawei Honor 6x. $150 at Best Buy. $250 MSRP. Easily equal or better than the Moto G5 Plus and the Moto E4. Fully unlocked and GSM capable. 5.5'' screen with 2.1Ghz Octa-core and 3-4GB RAM and 32-64GB ROM. EMUI 5.0 (Android 7.0) soon to be updated to 8.0. Fantastic fingerprint sensor and equpped with a great 3340mAh battery that last days. Also dual rear cameras (12+2mp) and an 8mp front facing camera. You get a lot of bang for your buck.

    I would not recommend Huawei Honor 6X and definitely if we compare it with Moto G5 Plus, Moto is better.

    The quality of Chinese phones is usually lower than non-Chinese phones (with same of similar specs of RAM and CPU). I am not talking about country of assembly or country where the company is located. I am talking about location where the phone was developed. Motorola Mobility R&D located in US and, despite slightly lower specs, Moto G5 Plus will actually be better (if we are talking about user experience) than Huawei Honor 6X (unless you want to use your phone for bitcoin mining).

    But there is another very important reason which is stopper for me to buy Huawei Honor 6X: this phone is only partially compatible with European/African/Asian networks:

    Huawei supported bands:

    4G LTE Band 12, 2, 20, 4, 5 (no European LTE bands at all)
    GSM 3G Frequency 1700, 1900, 2100, 850 (no European Band 8 900 MHz)

    So, you will rely only on UMTS Band 1 2100 MHz while roaming.

    Moto G5 Plus supports all UMTS bands and all LTE bands except band 20 that make it excellent phone while in roaming.

    Next, this Huawei does not support Wi-Fi calling. See http://phonedb.net/index.php?m=devic...uawei_brooklyn (unless pdadb does not have correct info) and https://club-us.hihonor.com/keyword....-support-.1633

    Moto supports wi-fi calling.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    171
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumia_Black View Post
    I found a Verizon Moto E4 at Walmart for $39.00 Does that seem right? she said it is that price.

    So I can unlock and use my AT&T Sim card in it? It is Verizon phone so I didnt think I could use a sim in it... or something like that.


    Do not buy this version of Moto E if you are going to use it on T-Mobile. It does not have VoLTE and VoLTE is MUST on T-Mobile (unless your are going to use it as data only device or as some kind of backup device for few days only).

    This phone is OK for AT&T.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    116
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    Do not buy this version of Moto E if you are going to use it on T-Mobile. It does not have VoLTE and VoLTE is MUST on T-Mobile (unless your are going to use it as data only device or as some kind of backup device for few days only).

    This phone is OK for AT&T.

    I have H20.

    I ended up getting the Moto E4 at Walmart for 13 dollars after using a gift card given to me by my employer. I looked at reviews on youtube and on here plus what you all say about it and it seems to be a great phone. I'm waiting for my unlock code to come in the mail.

    I'm new to Android as WP was my first smart phone experience and always worked, never glitched or dead..unfortunately we all know Microsoft cannot get a foot in the mobile world, so I am now going to learn Android and convert my family to Android...lol.... let this begin

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,902
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumia_Black View Post
    I have H20.

    I ended up getting the Moto E4 at Walmart for 13 dollars after using a gift card given to me by my employer. I looked at reviews on youtube and on here plus what you all say about it and it seems to be a great phone. I'm waiting for my unlock code to come in the mail.

    I'm new to Android as WP was my first smart phone experience and always worked, never glitched or dead..unfortunately we all know Microsoft cannot get a foot in the mobile world, so I am now going to learn Android and convert my family to Android...lol.... let this begin
    If you ordered the unlock code from eBay, watch for the code in your email instead of actual postal mail.

    Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    116
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    If you ordered the unlock code from eBay, watch for the code in your email instead of actual postal mail.

    Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4
    On the ebay seller it said by postal cause ebay doesn't allow electronic sending or whatever it says... I have my doubts about sending my carrier and IMEI to someone I have no idea about. I went on a youtube recommendation and that the seller has sold 16,000 plus, units with 100%

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    116
    Feedback Score
    0
    Got the E4 up and running and it is a winner. It works as good or a little better than my Windows phones, has everything I need and well built, feels nice and screen is sharp/bright to be very good. Android isn't bad to use either. I also found out that the main camera shoots panoramic pictures and 1080P video, and that is a huge plus for me...It has a pretty good camera that I was hoping for. I was going to just use this for temporary until I found a 200.00 dollar or so one with a great camera, but i think I'll just stay with this E4....very satisfied with this phone and Android so far. Wil miss Windows tho....It was my first and I hoped it would stay. Oh well, lol.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,157
    Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    It was a $200 phone mere months ago. You got a great deal. Enjoy!

    Amazon had the factory unlocked Moto E4 Plus for $102 on Thursday, but I missed it! I'll lurk every day, hoping for such a deal to appear again for gift shopping.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    116
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's unlocked I guess....

    I get a message from H2o operator about sending settings for wap, mms....all that crud and use password **** when prompted, but never anything happened after that. Went to self configuration on h20 and had the settings sent, but nothing.... Setting up APN and MMS ******** has always been a struggle....I thought it would be automatic for Android, but proving a lot harder. I send and recieve SmS and get internet, but that is because I could only figure out how to put in internet APN... AT&T.MVNO. I dunno....Android seems so cluttered and way to many options everywhere. Missing my Windows Phone.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,231
    Feedback Score
    0
    Did you save your settings?
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

    Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

    Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB exp 08.10.18
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.22.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1call/3mo no exp by 04.01.18

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Quick! Unlocked, Quad-Band phone recommendations for < $150.00
    By davegod75 in forum Phone Battle and Comparison
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 12:47 AM
  2. Question about getting $150.00 off Phone Purchase With Contract Renewel
    By Mikeygaga0713 in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2006, 05:24 PM
  3. FS: Mint nokia 8890- 8855 phone $150.00 Must GO in 2 days.
    By FOXTEKA in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2003, 02:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks