Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 150.00 budget phones?

Feedback Score
    Yah.....

I shut off data connection and nothing works. On my windows phone I could shut the data connection off and MMS and phone calls still worked. just not the internet.

Also it doesn't have offline maps and uses data for driving directions....that kinda sucks.

Feedback Score
    You can get offline maps. Here We Go, MAPS.ME ,Google Maps & more can be used offline.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB exp 08.10.18
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1call/3mo no exp by 09.25.18

Feedback Score
    Well after a week using this Moto E4 I have been impressed and not.

So far i noticed the screen doesn't scroll as smooth as my Windows phone did. The screen will tend to flicker and stutter when scrolling fast. On the Windows phone it woul dnot, no matter how fast I scrolled. This Android already got infected with spam pop-ups....I think this is due to Android being the main phone OS and what every hacker is after to infect. Do I need virus protection?

O.S. is overly complex and not easy to navigate. On Windows Phone it was very simple. So many different options, windows and buttons. Camera is ok, but nothing like the Carl Zeiss optics camera on my old Lumia 640 and that was a budget smartphone as well.

So it comes down to....Android OS is just too much, to cluttered and immersive for my taste. I used to just like the simple function of my windows phone.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What apps have you installed? You should not have stutter on a newly activated Moto phone, as they don't natively have crapware installed to slow it down, as many other brands do. Similarly, there should be no spam pop-ups. I recommend resetting your phone to its factory state immediatly and use it for a while without installing anything.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumia_Black View Post
    Well after a week using this Moto E4 I have been impressed and not.

So far i noticed the screen doesn't scroll as smooth as my Windows phone did. The screen will tend to flicker and stutter when scrolling fast. On the Windows phone it woul dnot, no matter how fast I scrolled. This Android already got infected with spam pop-ups....I think this is due to Android being the main phone OS and what every hacker is after to infect. Do I need virus protection?

O.S. is overly complex and not easy to navigate. On Windows Phone it was very simple. So many different options, windows and buttons. Camera is ok, but nothing like the Carl Zeiss optics camera on my old Lumia 640 and that was a budget smartphone as well.

So it comes down to....Android OS is just too much, to cluttered and immersive for my taste. I used to just like the simple function of my windows phone.
    You should get an anti-virus app.
    I use AVG and Avast.
    They are free in the Google Play store.
    My Moto E4 has zero lag when I scroll.
    I use a stylus a lot of the time when I am just goofing around online and I can scroll very fast without any lag at all.
    I agree that the camera isn't as good as the Lumia 640 but it's much better than the one on the Phoenix 2.
    I have all 3 of those phones.

Android does take some getting used to especially when you are coming from Windows phone.
    The really annoying thing with Android to me is that the apps are constantly nagging for updates.
    I call this needing a diaper change since it is very frequent and very irritating.
    With Windows phone that wasn't a constant annoying thing.
    But it's another reason that unfortunately Windows phone isn't going to be around much longer as an operating system because there is no support for it.
    I actually really love Windows phone and will miss being able to use my several Windows phones after they finally nail the coffin shut.
    I've been using Android for years and have gotten used to the annoyances within the operating system.
    I still get very irritated when the apps say that they want their diapers changed with a new update. I only update over WiFi.

My brother is in the same predicament as you are.
    He has a Lumia 640 and he is dreading moving to Android. But without support from Windows it's just getting harder for him to keep with it.
    His wife and son both use Android and seem pleased with it.

Believe me I do know Windows phone love.
    I was a die hard Android fan-girl since my first Android, the G1 but when I got my first Windows phone I was totally in love with the operating system.
    Lumia phones especially are my favorite.

I don't think that you will like the more expensive Android phones any more than the Moto E4.
    Once you get the bugs out of it the lagging issue and the pop-up problem should go away.
    I've never had those problems with on my Androids but I use anti-virus apps.

Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    What apps have you installed? You should not have stutter on a newly activated Moto phone, as they don't natively have crapware installed to slow it down, as many other brands do. Similarly, there should be no spam pop-ups. I recommend resetting your phone to its factory state immediatly and use it for a while without installing anything.

A bar code scanner and a picture scanner that popped up when I asked google play. O.S. is stock otherwise, haven't tweeked anything. Changed the background on home screen, about it.

Not a bad stutter I can live with it, but it is not as smooth as my Windows phone was. On Windows I could give it a real fast flick and the screen would scroll like on ball bearings, Android stops after your thumb leaves the screen...Best I can explain it.

The spam pop up flashed onto my screen while in Chrome and prompted me "to immediately use the provided app to clean my device, complete with a voice prompt. Yah, ok....so obvious. I then quit Chrome and rebooted it, still the spam was still there....couldn't get rid of it. Seems to be gone now, but possibly not.

I'll reset it.

This is my test bed for learning Android, only have 13 dollars into it, so I don't mind screwing around with things.

Don't get me wrong.... it is a great device...I love the build quality, really feels and looks expensive. I like the shinier black than what was on my Windows phones and it has an overall more expensive vibe to it, than that of a Windows Lumia. Screen is also brighter and vivid which is a lot more viewable in sun light. Apps are certainly a lot better on Android. I had the FB app for both and the Android version totally blows the FB app for Windows, completely out the Window. I can see what they were saying about Windows poor Apps and selection, now.

Google Assistant is great and works I love how the phone can operate like Google Home and Google assistant picks up my voice perfectly. Very reliable and solid....I'll miss Cortana tho...hahah.

So yah, my only thing with Android is the less smooth screen scrolling and more complex navigation within the O.S... I usually have to think of what to do in order to get something on Android...On Windows, within a few days I was power cruising the phone with no thinking at all...I just knew where to push and scroll for anything. I'm sure I will get good with Android, but it will take longer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    You should get an anti-virus app

I will...

Yes....I changes a lot of diapers last night and need to do three more right now....oyy...

Feedback Score
    I will...

Yes....I changes a lot of diapers last night and need to do three more right now....oyy...
    Also I will recommend getting Firefox browser and add Adblock Plus to Firefox.
    I dislike the Chrome browser but there are a few things that I have to use Chrome with otherwise I would disable it.
    Firefox runs smoothly on Android.

I'm not sure what's going on with your Moto E4 but mine will go fast when I just flick it with my stylus if I want to go to the bottom of an article or a page.
    Maybe if you switch to Firefox it might go faster.
    Run the anti-virus apps and see if they pick up anything that might have gotten into your phone.

Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Once you finish getting updates, you can achieve peace by simply disabling all automatic updates in the Google Play settings. I just run a manual update of all apps every month or two. It's pretty easy.

It sounds like one of those apps installed some crapware in your Chrome browser. Either that, or something is tied to your signed in Google account. If you continue to use Chrome, I recommend starting an Incognito tab and seeing whether that works better.

The scrolling issue could be due to malware from the apps or a browser compromise. I HAVE seen it happen on rare occasions, and it could be some obscure bug in Android that is exacerbated by an installed app. The issue has never survived a restart of the tab or phone for me, so it could be something as simple as some browser bug that only begins when a website does something specific, and then sticks that way.

I also recommend having at least one alternative browser installed. Firefox is a good one.

I have never used any extra security software on any Android phone, and I have never experienced the negative outcomes that you report. They've all worked fine and dandy overall, at least until app and OS updates bloat the memory requirements over time and the phone's RAM isn't enough, just like most other kinds of software.

Feedback Score
    Its great now....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Its great now....
    Glad to hear!

Device(s)
    Alcatel Idol 4S Windows 10 Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    "The spam pop up flashed onto my screen while in Chrome and prompted me "to immediately use the provided app to clean my device, complete with a voice prompt. Yah, ok....so obvious. I then quit Chrome and rebooted it, still the spam was still there....couldn't get rid of it. Seems to be gone now, but possibly not.

I'll reset it. "

I hate when that happens. Sometimes they block all access to the browser and you have to use the home key to get out or shut off the phone. If that happens, after I restart, I will go to settings>apps>Chrome (or whatever browser you are using) and then Storage and clear cache. That usually removes that nonsense and then just go and use the browser as usual. Try "Brave" browser. It has built in security and generally runs well. Personally, I can't stand chrome.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstoic View Post
    "The spam pop up flashed onto my screen while in Chrome and prompted me "to immediately use the provided app to clean my device, complete with a voice prompt. Yah, ok....so obvious. I then quit Chrome and rebooted it, still the spam was still there....couldn't get rid of it. Seems to be gone now, but possibly not.

I'll reset it. "

I hate when that happens. Sometimes they block all access to the browser and you have to use the home key to get out or shut off the phone. If that happens, after I restart, I will go to settings>apps>Chrome (or whatever browser you are using) and then Storage and clear cache. That usually removes that nonsense and then just go and use the browser as usual. Try "Brave" browser. It has built in security and generally runs well. Personally, I can't stand chrome.
    Yepp I had to do the same, restart and empty all the cache and all of that...browsing history....ect. Hasn't come back, but I'm now on fireFox for the browser.

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    Many of the free apps are ad-supported, and they put the ads ("offers") at the bottom of the screen, right next to the navigation icons. The advertisers hope you will accidentally touch their ad when you are navigating, which could download their possibly spam-filled app. Sometimes the ads are made to look like system messages, the same way they try to trick people on a PC.

The creator of the original useful app can offer it for free by accepting payments from advertisers, of course, and does not necessarily endorse or even know what the "advertisements" may be.

Device(s)
    Alcatel Idol 4S Windows 10 Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    Many of the free apps are ad-supported, and they put the ads ("offers") at the bottom of the screen, right next to the navigation icons. The advertisers hope you will accidentally touch their ad when you are navigating, which could download their possibly spam-filled app. Sometimes the ads are made to look like system messages, the same way they try to trick people on a PC.

The creator of the original useful app can offer it for free by accepting payments from advertisers, of course, and does not necessarily endorse or even know what the "advertisements" may be.
    The other possibility is that one of the apps is generating the full screen ad. Some do that. I generally hunt them down and delete them when they do. I personally would rather pay for an app and have no advertising than to use "free" ones that spam my screen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast