Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: video ad eating data

Feedback Score

video ad eating data

i was using puffin browser that claims to save data. i looked at a web page for a minute and when i scrolled down noticed a video playing with no sound. i looked at my data and over 150 mb was used just on that page.

i heard google chrome will in the future prevent auto play videos so that will be good.

i wish there was a way to prevent large data leaks in any situation but i don't know any way that can be done.

Feedback Score
    That's because Android sucks.

Feedback Score
    This forum site actually has a really annoying forced video ad every time I view a thread on my iPhone. I made the mistake of accessing it once not on wifi and it ran through a big chunk of data.

Feedback Score
    i just found out in firefox you can turn off video auto play so that will be good.

i normally use opera mini to save data and it won't auto play video in extreme mode. the problem is many pages won't display at all so that is why i went to puffin. i was testing puffin because it says it saves data but now i don't like it because it auto played and ate my data so might stop using it.

i am always losing data like this due to different problems.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    i was using puffin browser that claims to save data. i looked at a web page for a minute and when i scrolled down noticed a video playing with no sound. i looked at my data and over 150 mb was used just on that page.

i heard google chrome will in the future prevent auto play videos so that will be good.

i wish there was a way to prevent large data leaks in any situation but i don't know any way that can be done.
    Definitely get rid of that "puffin browser"! If a mobile browser starts playing video without prompting, it is no good for regular mobile use to me.

I use Opera Mini, and it seems pretty good at minimizing data use, although a few weeks ago it started allowing pop-up ads when viewing Facebook, which is annoying, but doesn't use much data. Opera Mini has a few features that many mobile browsers don't have, such as FB notifications and the ability to access messages without having FB Messenger installed, so I'm guessing allowing those ads was required by FB to let Opera Mini keep those features.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    i just found out in firefox you can turn off video auto play so that will be good.

i normally use opera mini to save data and it won't auto play video in extreme mode. the problem is many pages won't display at all so that is why i went to puffin. i was testing puffin because it says it saves data but now i don't like it because it auto played and ate my data so might stop using it.

i am always losing data like this due to different problems.
    Have you tried Opera Mini with the less aggressive data saving feature? That might allow you to view some pages that you can't view with the Opera Mini maximum data savings setting. I actually haven't tried that, but thought I'd mention it.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cacophony555 View Post
    This forum site actually has a really annoying forced video ad every time I view a thread on my iPhone. I made the mistake of accessing it once not on wifi and it ran through a big chunk of data.
    Were you using Safari?

Feedback Score
    yes i have tried opera mini less data saving modes and it works to view pages that won't display in extreme mode.

it just seems faster to go to another browser because you have to switch it back to extreme mode when done..

i am surprised puffin ate so much data so fast on that video. it might have been playing at high resolution or something. i don't trust using puffin now.

Feedback Score
    now that i think of it when i watch video on youtube for that length of time i don't think it uses more than 20 mb.

i don't think i was on the page more than a minute.

so puffin ate data faster on that video compared to youtube. it must have been at high resolution.

but i checked data usage before and after so know it ate that much data..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Were you using Safari?
    IIRC, I tried both Safari and Chrome and got the same behavior.

Feedback Score

Most of them are ads. I use Opera browser which blocks ads.

Feedback Score
    There are some ways and even add-ons that stop video autoplay. A suggestion:
    https://www.maketecheasier.com/disab...irefox-chrome/

And an add-on for firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...on/flashblock/

Feedback Score
    i agree firefox has some good features.

i found the web page if you click read more a video plays.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/11/am...from-december/

Feedback Score
    also puffin browser is not really bad it just playing the video without asking is something i don't like.

some features of puffin browser are good.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    I've noticed that, suddenly, over the last few months my data usage has skyrocketed on my iPad, but not the same way on same pages with my iPhone. Either there is some bug in safari with iOS 11, or differences on how sites treat a tablet vs phone. Went through 5GB in just over a week, when during the summer the 5GB lasted over 2 months.

Luckily, I was on the $10/5GB plan with T-Mobile, or that would have been pretty expensive. I think I'm going to go with an "unlimited" plan next month on it.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast