Thread: Full 6 months of uninterrupted service before phone can be unlocked?

Device(s)
    SE T616, Samsung x426
    Carrier(s)
    ATT GSM (x5)
    Feedback Score

Full 6 months of uninterrupted service before phone can be unlocked?

Today, I requested unlock codes over chat-line. The rep provided unlock code for my wife's phone and the phone is unlocked.

The rep denied my unlock request because I switched phones a few times and just inserted the sim into my old Cricket phone so she is saying my phone doesn't have 6 months of usage.

Next I asked to unlock my daughter's phone. Although her line was opened earlier but in Cricket's system, the phone is active since 6/2/2017. It does not meet their 6-month requirements. I have to wait until 12/2/2017 which is only a week away. No biggie!!!

Is this a new policy change? I read the online policy it states "6 months of paid service" and it is vastly different from 6 months of continue use of the locked phone.

Our phones work best on the Cricket network, but we'll provide the unlock code if you meet the following requirements:
    The device you want to unlock has been active for at least six (6) months of paid service or you are on an Unlimited Plan.*
    The device you want to unlock is designed for use on and is currently locked to Cricket's network.
    Your device hasn't been reported as lost or stolen.
    Your device isn't associated with a fraudulent account.

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    You can switch to the 70 plan an request an unlocked code you will get it then switch back to old plan

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Device(s)
    SE T616, Samsung x426
    Carrier(s)
    ATT GSM (x5)
    Feedback Score
    I am on the 5x$100 family plan. Can't touch the plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Langning View Post
    I am on the 5x$100 family plan. Can't touch the plan.
    Correct. Find a friend with the unlimited plan and ask them.

Feedback Score
    After 1/4/2018, Cricket will require 6 months of active service for the unlimited plans. The change has enough wiggle room to prevent unlocking friends phones purchased prior to the date since the phones were purchased for another account especially if the phones have been used on another account.

"*Note: Effective January 4, 2018, the 6 months paid service requirement will also apply to Customers on Unlimited plans that purchase a Cricket device on or after January 4, 2018."

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Yes, Cricket is tightening up their unlocking terms to be more in-line with other prepaid carriers.

Also be aware of the change to the "unlimited plan" unlocking requirements.

January 4, 2018, the 6 months paid service requirement will also apply to Customers on Unlimited plans that purchase a Cricket device on or after January 4, 2018.

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    While then you still have time or pay for the unlock code on eBay

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Unlock your daughter's phone after 6 months is up. Unlock your own phone via eBay code if this is a LG phone. If the code is too expensive, give your phone to your daughter to use for 6 months after her phone is unlocked.

I assume you will stay with Cricket for long term since you are grandfathered in with 5 lines for $100 deal.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    I need to unlock a Lumia 650 and will try the unlimited plan request this week.

Device(s)
    SE T616, Samsung x426
    Carrier(s)
    ATT GSM (x5)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 12thman View Post
    Yes, Cricket is tightening up their unlocking terms to be more in-line with other prepaid carriers.
    All of 3 Cricket-locked phones have had more than 6 months of services (they were acquired and on the $40 basic plans since mid-May 2017 to be exact). I switched to unlocked phones during the 6-month periods while my daughter and wife didn't. Maybe I tested my daughter's SIM on another phone on 6/2 and hence Cricket system is showing the "6/2/2017" as her service start date.

The Cricket online rep is insinuating that the phone must be in continuous use for full 6-months before unlock code can be requested. The 6-month clock resets if the SIM is used in another phone. I interpret "6-months" as the time elapsed since the phone is purchased/activated and I have paid 6 months of service.

My daughter phone can be unlocked on 12/2/2017. But for me the 6-month clock re-started yesterday (11/25/2017) and there is zero chance I will be using my Cricket phone for next 6 straight months.

Was the Cricket rep mistaking the unlock policy? I didn't argue because she made it like it was the computer system enforcing this "6-month" policy (not discretion of her).

Feedback Score
    All of 3 Cricket-locked phones have had more than 6 months of services (they were acquired and on the $40 basic plans since mid-May 2017 to be exact). I switched to unlocked phones during the 6-month periods while my daughter and wife didn't. Maybe I tested my daughter's SIM on another phone on 6/2 and hence Cricket system is showing the "6/2/2017" as her service start date.

The Cricket online rep is insinuating that the phone must be in continuous use for full 6-months before unlock code can be requested. The 6-month clock resets if the SIM is used in another phone. I interpret "6-months" as the time elapsed since the phone is purchased/activated and I have paid 6 months of service.

My daughter phone can be unlocked on 12/2/2017. But for me the 6-month clock re-started yesterday (11/25/2017) and there is zero chance I will be using my Cricket phone for next 6 straight months.

Was the Cricket rep mistaking the unlock policy? I didn't argue because she made it like it was the computer system enforcing this "6-month" policy (not discretion of her).

here's the unlocking policy - https://www.cricketwireless.com/lega...ck-policy.html
    it doesn't say that the sim has to stay in the same phone it just says active for at least six (6) months of paid service.
    i would show cricket this web page and ask them where does it say that the sim has to stay in the same phone.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

The rep is right. Sticking the SIM in another phone resets the clock.